• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Seems like everybody's in John Barry-mode...

I'll join you. wave

Focus Scoort John Barry (compilation from Silva Screen)

This is a specially Belgian-made compilation officially endorsed by Silva, which features their recordings from his earlier films.

Quite an entertaining listen in that soothing Barry way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    NP: Brokedown Palace - David Newman

A few lovely cues - the theme is gorgeous - but little else of genuine interest.

smile
  2. NP: Chi l'ha vista morire? - Ennio Morricone

A Morricone giallo score almost entirely sung by children choirs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

Nothing new, but a very nice score all the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Legend Jerry Goldsmith

An absolute Grade A drug for Goldsmith fans! This shit should be illegal! shocked
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Legend Jerry Goldsmith

An absolute Grade A drug for Goldsmith fans! This shit should be illegal! shocked
    punk

I remember being slightly turn off by this one when I was younger, for the exaggerated use of synth effects that kill the gorgeous symphonic melodies. On some occasions a splendid theme grows and builds and all of a sudden... Keyboard-Homicide!

shocked crazy vomit

Over the years I've learned to live with it. But it's far from one of my faves.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I am the local Goldsmith nut, so what do you expect? biggrin (At least that's what I like to believe anyway.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    UltimateGoldsmithFan?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thing is... I can't choose between Williams or Goldsmith. So perhaps more like Ultimate-Undecided-Yet-Loves-Both-Equally-Goldsmith-And-Williams-Fan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    U-DAFT ?

(Ultimately Decisionless At Film Tracks)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Southall wrote
    Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

Nothing new, but a very nice score all the same.

'Bright Young Man' is one theme that might make a Newman compilation.

NP: 'BPRD' from Hellboy (Beltrami)

I haven't really *got into* Elfman's sequel score enough yet to stop wishing that Beltrami had gotten a chance with the sequel. It's a very strong album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Land Of The Tiger - Nicholas Hooper

A very fine BBC nature documentary score (aren't they all?) with some lovely Eastern influences. Has anyone else here heard it?

Lovely work.
    Not quite as fine as Michael Brooks similar-themed Kingdom Of The Tiger, but still a very nice listen indeed, and my favourite Hooper so far!

I can't say I've heard Land of the Tiger, but Hooper's Andes to Amazon is a very nice listen, with some surprisingly strong choral/orchestral moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    mirdle wrote
    Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Land Of The Tiger - Nicholas Hooper

A very fine BBC nature documentary score (aren't they all?) with some lovely Eastern influences. Has anyone else here heard it?

Lovely work.
    Not quite as fine as Michael Brooks similar-themed Kingdom Of The Tiger, but still a very nice listen indeed, and my favourite Hooper so far!

I can't say I've heard Land of the Tiger, but Hooper's Andes to Amazon is a very nice listen, with some surprisingly strong choral/orchestral moments.

So, it's that good eh? Haven't heard it yet but you've intrigued my interest!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beauty and the Beast - Alan Menken

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!
  5. Martijn, Timmer you got me in the mood. After Dances with Wolves...

John Barry - The Last Valley

The film is pretty good, though with small editing mistakes here and there. And the score is indeed one of Barry's best scores. Great themes and great choral writing. What's there to add?

I picked the original performance.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

Not sure if you could get away with a film of this sort these days. Same said with the score. Why? Because they are so full of heart and while it's a special effects film the story and it's characters take centre stage. This is also one of those quintessential 80's films. Absolutely magical, innocent and inventive. The score, while surely inspired by Star Wars, soars along giving the film it's own distinct sound and voice. What I love about the score is that the main theme is so versatile. Heroic, tragic, and romantic. Along with Son Of The Morning Star, The Last Starfighter is Craig Safan at the top of his game! Highly recommended... if you can find it!

-Erik-

So well said. I adore this score! We need more from Craig Safan!

Now, back to The Charge Of The Light Brigade - Steiner

Tribute really know how to produce a fine CD presentation!
    Great art design, nicely printed discs, top notch recording and wonderful liner notes by the team involved! Oh, and the actual music is pretty damn good too!
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    I was playing: Alien VS Predator: Requiem (tyler)
    Tyler always put the best tracks in the beggining of his realeases, and then he put the rest in more or less chronological order.

I hardly listen the whole score, but no doubt about how the first tracks realy rocks punk punk

I love Silvestri's and Horner's homenages.

NP:POTC: At world's End with suites

Sometimes is pretty clear wich track is the highligh of one score, In At world's End I have really problems to choose one: It is the magic of "at witt's end", the fanfarres of "up is Down", the orchestral fury of "I don't think now is the best time" or maybe the reprises of the best themes in "Drink Up me Hearties".

If you put the suites into it, it becomes even harder...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    U-DAFT ?

(Ultimately Decisionless At Film Tracks)

Hey! slant

...nope, actually that sounds about right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Once Upon A Time In America - Ennio Morricone

cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote

cool

Class! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn, Timmer you got me in the mood. After Dances with Wolves...

John Barry - The Last Valley

The film is pretty good, though with small editing mistakes here and there. And the score is indeed one of Barry's best scores. Great themes and great choral writing. What's there to add?

I picked the original performance.

beer Just a shame ( for good reasons I guess? ) that it couldn't have been expanded from the original LP. Regardless, what a fantastic score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Road To Perdition - Thomas Newman

Fantastic score, but when playing it as an whole album, the jazz tracks (source music) are annoying... they're nice on their own, but don't fit into Newman's score tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote

cool

Class! beer

beer

I'm interested in Morricone's scores lately (because Morricone fans at SST played them very often!), but right now this is only one album I have. I want The Mission next lick
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: Alien VS Predator: Requiem (tyler)
    Tyler always put the best tracks in the beggining of his realeases, and then he put the rest in more or less chronological order.

I hardly listen the whole score, but no doubt about how the first tracks realy rocks punk punk

Yes he does. It makes sense from the viewpoint of a casual listener (if they're not going to get through it all at least let them hear the best), but it also suggests that Tyler knows he's putting a lot of redundant music onto CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let the Right One In - Johan Soderqvist

Such a fine album. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Flight of the Intruder
    from Flight of the Intruder (obviously)
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Hisaishi's Ponyo!

Yeah I'm addicted tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote

cool

Class! beer

Absolutely gorgeous music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Let the Right One In - Johan Soderqvist

Such a fine album. Love it!

Glad you did. Some of the most heartfelt film music i've heard in years.