• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Well I personally couldn't really find anything hugely bad with it. confused

it isn't bad, it just isn't very inspiring

Which is exactly what I find bad about it. They had a huge budget and the premise of an unlimited world of possibilities (due to the nature of Star Trek)... and they ended up with this!? Worse. Trek. Ever.
  1. Well, they tried some of a psychological thriller, which is a good idea and very in tune with The Next Generation.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Marselus wrote
    omaha wrote
    Was it better than outpost?

I haven´t watched Outpost (yet) but I´m working on it.

Truly the trailer is better than the movie. The trailer was awesome though! kill
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Am I the only person who doesn't really like and watch horrors, excep some real classics like Omen, The Poltergeist? I can't get into the genre somehow. Only recently I started to READ some stuff, like E. A. Poe.

I like very few horror films.
    Like you I do enjoy the classics.
    I also like a lot of the Stephen stuff. Ex: The Mist and The Storm of the century.
    But whenever Nazi zombies show up... that is just to good to pass up. cheesy
  2. Bride Wars : 5 out of 10
    I don't think I laughed once confused , all in all nothing special

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ruins : 6 out of 10
    Some nice moments here, especailly the build up to the actual threat what's surrounding them, the last minutes though end what is especially in the first hour a gory but hypnotizing picture

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P2 : 7 out of 10
    Another gruesome film about a deranged stalker, and like the recent trend they go for realistic shocking moments. But it pays off, creepy film and a great ending, if you like deranged lunatics, this is another one for you

Mutant Chronicles : 7 out of 10
    All by all, I'm surprised. Nothing amazing but there's enough character development and story building to make it decent, and enough visual treats and gory mutants to make it exciting. A good orchestral score surrounding it and a cool visual look was all I needed to like it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    Where did you see Mutant Chronicles?

They only had it in selected theaters over here. sad
  3. omaha wrote
    Where did you see Mutant Chronicles?

They only had it in selected theaters over here. sad

it went directly to DVD here, and it's out since today wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    sweet nectar

august 4th for the US
  4. omaha wrote
    sweet nectar

august 4th for the US

I wasn't expecting a lot, and I was pleasantly surprised
    do the same and I'll think you'll like it as well
    the only downfall is that it's a dark (shot) movie
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    omaha wrote
    sweet nectar

august 4th for the US

I wasn't expecting a lot, and I was pleasantly surprised
    do the same and I'll think you'll like it as well
    the only downfall is that it's a dark (shot) movie

I'm mostly looking forward to the somewhat world war I feel/ design and Thomas Jane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do like horror movies (though I'm far more fond of the "creeping dread" kind than the "splutter a second" ones), but it's true there's little quality these last few years.

There have been a few honestly scary and effective surprises though!
    The best one and one I really liked was The Blair Witch Project which genuinely scared me out of my wits (though I still thank the heavens I never watched it on the big screen... vomit ).

The Descent was another one that really worked for me (the naturalist acting helped a lot).
    The very recent Spanish [REC] pretty much caught me unawares, and Stephen King's The Mist was for the greater part far better than I would ever have thought it would have been.

But honestly there are very few others I could name that I'd say were really good.
    Entertaining, sure. But forgotten as soon as the end credits roll.
    It's the few examples that stay with me for longer.

That said: Nazi zombies? shocked
    As a big Hellboy fan (the comics, that is), that's just TOO good to pass up!
    Bring on the popcorn!
    lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What are your all time favourite horror films Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Night Of The Demon and The Thing From Another World.

I like not seeing.

Oh, and 1958's Dracula is very dear to me for that awful, terrible scene where Jonathan Harker turns around to stab the Count, finds his coffin empty, and you see that shadow passing through the gallery, blocking he only way of escape...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    You have chosen............wisely!

Night of The Demon is probably my all time # 1

We debated 'Thing' before, I prefer Carpenter's remake but the original is a true classic of the genre.

I love the Hammer Dracula series but, as has been said countless times by countless people including the 'Count' himself, what a shame Christopher Lee wasn't given more ( a lot more ) dialogue.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Blindness

I really enjoyed this one. Julianne Moore was great (though I think I like her in everything). Very interesting premise. Really transports you to this world. You can feel the horror and frustration the other characters are feeling. Strangely uplifting. Makes you think of what you have.

Now interested in reading the novel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    With the new Promethus release of "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" I had to go the library and check out the film again just to re-visit the score with the film. There was a lot of music written for it (68-88). A lot of bad acting but such wonderful Harryhausen animation that watching this one over and over is always a treat.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Blindness

I really enjoyed this one. Julianne Moore was great (though I think I like her in everything). Very interesting premise. Really transports you to this world. You can feel the horror and frustration the other characters are feeling. Strangely uplifting. Makes you think of what you have.

I liked it too; can't use the word "enjoyed" though since i found it grim, over-realistic and disturbing, but definitely an admirable study of the human being.

Thomas, i always wondered what was the story behind THE RUINS but since i am not going to watch it, could you please spoil it for me? What happens? beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas, i always wondered what was the story behind THE RUINS but since i am not going to watch it, could you please spoil it for me? What happens? beer

Basically 4 dumb kids who want to visit a ruin, and when they arrive they are threatened by local people to go up the ruin (reason at that point still unknown). However as they are stuck and look out for help, they begin to understand that it is the ruin itself that hides the danger. Basically it takes a long time to see what exactly that danger is, but it merely are [spoiler]the plants[/spoiler] that attack them.

It sounds hideous I know, but I enjoyed the way we build to the revelation of this, with some effective (ringtone wink ) build up smile

It is not that they have to run away from it, it is more psychological, merely because the ruins know they can't escape with the local people holding them trapped there. So it basically makes them mutilate themselves in the end, pretty gory stuff
  6. omaha wrote
    Blindness

hehe cool, we also saw that one this weekend. I for the second time, my family for the first time.

And though it isn't highly rated on IMDB, I think it is very good. Another great sign how low we sink once we have to think of little old me. Some people help one another, others just turn into the beast we call man. The chaos of course becomes evidence of that.

Good characters though, you care for some and you hate the rest
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    omaha wrote
    Blindness

hehe cool, we also saw that one this weekend. I for the second time, my family for the first time.

And though it isn't highly rated on IMDB, I think it is very good. Another great sign how low we sink once we have to think of little old me. Some people help one another, others just turn into the beast we call man. The chaos of course becomes evidence of that.

Good characters though, you care for some and you hate the rest

You feel like your experiencing everything along with the characters because of how disturbingly realistic the film is. This makes you hate the villains with a passion. You just want to see them suffer after enduring so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    It sounds hideous I know

I thought it was, every even minor creepy aspect [spoiler](the creeping vines were particularly hair-raising)[/spoiler] was brought low by the eventually silly concept, the poor execution and the terrible acting. slant

Honestly, I wasn't even entertained.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Knowing

Jesus fucking wept.
    What the HELL is wrong with Nicholas Cage?
    Can anyone remember the last even vaguely acceptable or entertaining film the man did?
    Or do we have to go back to the former millennium for that?

What a load of cobblers.
    This film, that has nothing to offer (and I mean *nothing*. There's no interesting plot, no novel idea, no good acting -Cage alternates darkly moody with freaked out and that's it as far as emotion goes), no proper interaction, a horrid script, even worse dialogue and cliche upon cliche upon cliche) takes itself as seriously as Schindler's List!
    GOD.
    Awful film.
    Really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    What the HELL is wrong with Nicholas Cage?
    Can anyone remember the last even vaguely acceptable or entertaining film the man did?
    Or do we have to go back to the former millennium for that?

Lord of War? That's by far my favourite post-millenium Cage film. (Though it hasn't exactly got much competition.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. OK. Fair enough.
    That one was really quite good.

It's not a testament to Cage's agent though that it's really the stinkers that seem to be prominently on my radar screen, though. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree. And it's a shame because I like Nic Cage, he has the potential be as successful as, say, someone like Russell Crowe who does pick his projects carefully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    It sounds hideous I know

I thought it was, every even minor creepy aspect [spoiler](the creeping vines were particularly hair-raising)[/spoiler] was brought low by the eventually silly concept, the poor execution and the terrible acting. slant

Honestly, I wasn't even entertained.

I have to admit I enjoyed it, but I´m a sucker for this kind of films. The plants eating that guy´s legs (and the mutilation that comes afterwards) was a highlight.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ And you didn't like THE HAPPENING? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I agree. And it's a shame because I like Nic Cage, he has the potential be as successful as, say, someone like Russell Crowe who does pick his projects carefully.

Russell Crowe does have the advantage of being Ridley Scott's actor of choice.

A shame about Nic Cage, like you and Martijn I thought Lord of War was a good film but I can't remember beyond that one anything of worth that he's starred in?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ And you didn't like THE HAPPENING? wink

That film was pants!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nic Cage is quickly becoming the Chuck Norris and V'Damme of the new era wink