• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    Money? shocked slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite.

I'm still calculating the amount for emotional damages.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, do i sense a denial from Anthony that he actually received your monies for this? Have you kept your receipts? uhm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited
    Ant knows be''er than to insis' on a'ministration. That would be un-gennelmanlike now, wunnit?

'e knows whass in 'is bes' innerest, dontcha, Ant me ol' son?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ant knows be''er than to insis' on a'ministration. That would be un-gennelmanlike now, wunnit?

'e knows whass in 'is bes' innerest, dontcha, Ant me ol' son?

Watchit sunshine, ee'l get cranky an then there'll be a right ol' tear up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooo. 'arry 's not gonna like that.
    'e's not gonna like that AT ALL.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marcel, what twitter page has photos of the Madrid rehearsals?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´ll try to make it as short as possible. So here´s my Úbeda 2009 report. Hopefully, Anthony will provide some extra information.

The Conferences: I think Anthony has much more to say than me, as I´ve attended few conferences this year. I didn´t reach Úbeda until Friday afternoon so basically I was in the Giacchino conference and the roundtable Sunday afternoon. Giacchino´s conference was really fun, with most of the talking focused on his collaboration with JJ Abrams, Pixar and his work on videogames.
    As for the roundtable, it was conducted by Patrick Doyle, who was like thinking out loud his thoughts about the festival and asking the rest of the composers his feelings about it. Specially excited and enthusiastic were Wataru Hokoyama and the younger composers, proud and happy to have shared a week with the big guys.

The Recital: too long and some of the non film music related pieces were too risky and tough, I mean some of them were a real challenge to film music fans, although later I was told that Philippe Rombi and Roque Baños were amazed by one particular composer (Zeltia Montes) that had selected one of those tough pieces I´ve talked about.

Fortunately, the recital was closed by Philippe Rombi at the piano, playing with a real skill (or should I say gift) some of his themes.

The Concert: highlights, IMO:

1 - Bsospirit Hymn (Aritz Villodas): we finally listened the festival´s hymn performed live. A great prelude to the concert.
    2 – Claudio Simonetti: honestly, I didn´t know him before the festival, and I´ve discovered a great piano player. He performed a selection of themes based on his collaborations with director Dario Argento with the help of the choir´s soprano.
    3 – Obviously, Michael Giacchino: watching him conducting his Lost suite with a full symphony orchestra and choir was one of the best moments ever experienced in Úbeda. The same goes for the Cloverfield Overture (although it was not the 12 minutes version but a shorter one), Ratatouille and Star Trek.
    4 – Roque Baños conducting his suite of Torrente. In what was a joke for the people that has watched the Torrente film trilogy, director Santiago Segura sang the main song of “Torrente 2” while Roque was conducting the orchestra.
    5 – Wataru Hokoyama: simply amazing the way he conducted and how great the orchestra sounded while performing “Savanna” and “Afrika” from his Afrika score. Most people didn´t know him and were pretty shocked with what they heard.
    6 – Missing Lynx suite by Sergio de la Puente: for me, the true discovery of this year. A very good composer and a very nice person. We had plenty of talks during the festival and he was so thrilled to be there and to have the chance to show everybody his work. Actually, he told me he made a last minute arrangement of his suite in order to make it sound more powerful and spectacular.
    7 - Philippe Rombi: those of you who know his music will understand when I say it was such a great and moving experience being there to listen themes like “Un homme et son chien” (with Rombi himself at the piano), “Angel” and Fraternity Hymn from “Joyeux Nöel” (both conducted by Rombi himself).
    8 – Christopher Young: what a better way to end the concert than with a Hellraiser – Hellraiser 2 suite. Well , there´s a better way actually, when Young stands up wearing a Hellraiser´s Pinhead mask. Funny thing is that I knew that little joke as I had been having a drink with Chris Young a couple of hours before the concert!

The people: a pleasure to have been with Anthony (such a great guy!) and his nice family this days (his father has got that british sense of humour I like; we had nice conversations with him, specially the day of the cd signing event, when Anthony was to busy having ALL his Giacchino covers signed wink). Oh, and I so love Anthony´s “24” bag! Want!
    Besides, the rest of the Úbeda family was there. Nice people, sharing long conversations while having some drinks and having lots of laughs (some people even making advances to attendants!) in a warm and pleasant environment.

The Spirit of Úbeda: very related to the previous point, but specially focused on the composers and guests. I mean, where else can you share a lunch, a dinner or some beers with the likes of Giacchino, Rombi, Young (I saw him drinking a mojito in less than 5 minutes!), Baños and the rest of the attendants and composers? There was a moment on Friday night when we were at that pub, and one moment we were talking to Doyle and Baños, the next one we were talking to Young and Rombi. Then another attendant joins the conversation, and so on. Always with a drink in our hands of course.

We were having dinner Saturday night (before the concert), Chris Young and his daughter showed up and Chris sits with us (with a cup of wine) and we had such a pleasant personal, private chat. Magic moment. There is where we found out the mask joke he had prepared for the concert!

On Sunday night, where the environment is even more relaxed (after the concert, conferences, signing event and the rest of the activities are over) we had a last dinner with the composers, organisers and attendants in the back courtyard of the Hospital de Santiago. It was time for balance, goodbyes, hugs, last minute photos and last talks with guests and attendants. And finally, we had a last drink at the pub. There is where I met Patrick Doyle´s son, such a nice and polite guy. We were talking about his week in Spain and he was delighted for the warm environment and how well had he been treated.

I could go on and on telling “we met this composer here”, “this composer there” but it would be too long. The Spirit of Úbeda is stronger than ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Young (I saw him drinking a mojito in less than 5 minutes!)

Pff. Amateur.

wink

Thanks Marcel!
    Great report, and great fun to read!
    punk cocktail bhangra flash
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great write up Marcel, it really made me feel I'd missed something great.

I wanna hear more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the reports.

The Doyle story sounds weird indeed, but I won't take it at face value before I know exactly what was being said and/or the context. You never know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Young (I saw him drinking a mojito in less than 5 minutes!)

Pff. Amateur

biggrin

Martijn wrote
    Thanks Marcel!
    Great report, and great fun to read!
    punk cocktail bhangra flash

Thanks! Hope you can come next year. You´d love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thanks Tim and Thor!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Did Chris Young have the absinthe eventually??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Actually, more than anything, I wanted to be there with you guys eating and drinking and chewing the fat cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I wanted to be there with you guys eating and drinking and chewing the fat cool

Ditto! eat wine champagne cocktail

Anthony wrote

shocked
    I had absinthe a few times. I tends to get me quite riled up (and absolutely gobsmackingly drunk)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Watching Giacchino conducting Lost in a rehearsal I admittedly shouldn't have been in (I hid amongst some of the press people who were sitting around) is probably my #1 memory.

And we laughed about this in Spain, but out of my parents, Marcel and his friend Alex, the only one of us that didn't manage to get into the rehearsals was the private detective. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fireworks applause lol

Marcel: .... PWNED!

biggrin punk biggrin punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (I feel kinda sorry for him now shame )
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marcel, just so you know, Alex and I discussed trying to come out and get you, but we couldn't risk not being able to get back in ourselves!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I wanted to be there with you guys eating and drinking and chewing the fat cool

Ditto! eat wine champagne cocktail

Anthony wrote

shocked
    I had absinthe a few times. I tends to get me quite riled up (and absolutely gobsmackingly drunk)

Me too!

I had some lethal Portugese stuff once too......jeezus wept!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Marcel, just so you know, Alex and I discussed trying to come out and get you, but we couldn't risk not being able to get back in ourselves!

cry <--for Marcel
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure Marcel had the whole place wired and was enjoying the rehearsals from his hotel room on six monitors and in sensurround sound (DVDs of which he'll sell at 300 euros a pop)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    One of the most interesting stories Chris Young told was how one of the big reasons he got to score Spiderman 3 was because Elfman apparently wanted three million dollars to work on the movie. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Big name = Big money
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That's HUGE money though! shocked
  2. Anthony wrote
    biggrin

Well, I have a funny story which is actually the last memory I'll have of the festival before we came home.

My own mother managed to get kicked out of the CD signing. Yes, you read that correctly. My own mother got kicked out of the CD signing. Not a crazed fan, but the person who probably knew the least about film music there.

She was happily talking with the composers and I'd just spoken with Giacchino and had gone to the back of the room as she was finishing up. I'll never know what really happened, but apparently she was talking to Claudio Simonetti (who was next to Doyle & Giacchino) and said "I'd never heard your music before (the concert) as I haven't watched any horror movies but I thought it was fantastic". There's nothing wrong with that is there? Doyle then kicked off saying "That's so rude! You're a really patronising woman! I want you out! Get out!" and then a couple of the organisers showed her to the door. I of course then had the biggest wtf look on my face as Doyle just started shouting at her.

I then though "Fantastic, Michael's going to think my family is a bunch of lunatics" but Andrea Datzman was very sweet and said "Don't worry, Mike doesn't care".

It was all very bizarre as Doyle seemed very pleasant over the days there including when I spoke with him minutes before the above took place.

One of the strangest and most nerve-wracking experiences of my life!

well, I never thought Patrick Doyle could be like that
    I saw him once live, looked like a real fine gentleman

but now shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So...for the recital there's going to be an unfair amount of Rombi compared to the other composers in my video...

I hope that's not an issue!