• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Lost in Úbeda

Excellent! beer punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Da dudes! cool
    Excellent pic!

See, as if you needed proof it was a good pic!? rolleyes

Martijn could have said Da duds! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the vids; As for the ubeda hymn, another unsurprisingly John Williams-influenced piece. Nicely performed though, apart some slight brass off-points. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Basil just sent me an interesting message regarding the Doyle situation after he spoke with one of the organisers. Apparently my mother was complaining about the wait times and how the signing session wasn't organised very well! While I do agree it could have been set up to run more efficiently, and I still think Doyle overreacted, I can clearly see why he got upset if this was the case.

I can easily see this happening as my mother did mention the wait times while we were queuing, and I think the only reason she'd have brought it up with him was because he was being friendly. While it's a valid issue to raise, I'll never know how she said it but I can see it getting taken the wrong way quite easily.

Great news then! Doyle isn't crazy and I'm sure he's the lovable funny guy he was throughout the rest of the festival.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Great news then! Doyle isn't crazy and I'm sure he's the lovable funny guy he was throughout the rest of the festival.

Indeed. I was talking with him that night and he really is a lovable guy; so is his son. So, as I said yesterday, maybe him overreacting to your mom´s complaintment was due to his lack of sleep: the guests were out in a private dinner the night before (just after the concert).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Even if it's not due to lack of sleep I agree with him that it's not the best of things to say (even if it may be true!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Why? It's a great pic cool

And Marcel, where do you store you're beer??? spin

That´s a secret I´ll never tell tongue

I´ll upload the pic with Anthony, Giacchino, my friend Alex and me as soon as I get it (it wasn´t taken with my camera).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Even if it's not due to lack of sleep I agree with him that it's not the best of things to say (even if it may be true!)

Well, now that it seems to be clear, look it on the bright side: not everybody can say that has upset Patrick Doyle wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Indeed. I was talking with him that night and he really is a lovable guy; so is his son. So, as I said yesterday, maybe him overreacting to your mom´s complaintment was due to his lack of sleep: the guests were out in a private dinner the night before (just after the concert).

Still, that's an overreaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited
    This, aside, i've been watching the videos and whilst the performance level is much, much better than previous years with some very impressive parts, still i am not sure that the inclusion of choir into everything is a very good idea. The LOST suite, for instance, its original character was completely changed...any ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Still, that's an overreaction.

Of course. And I told him. But didn´t want to go deeper and we changed the subject of the conversation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    This, aside, i've been watching the videos and whilst the performance level is much, much better than previous years with some very impressive parts, still i am not sure that the inclusion of choir into everything is a very good idea. The LOST suite, for instance, its original character was completely changed...any ideas?

Now that you mention it, I have to say that on sunday afternoon there was a Farewell Concert by the Municipal Band which was closer in spirit to the original sound of Lost. I mean it was a smaller orchestra, without choir and what´s more important, they performed the Oceanic´s Six Theme! (which wasn´t included in the symphonic suite). "Landing Party" from season 4 precisely.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So it actually had nothing to do with telling a composer "I've never heard your music before." biggrin

Great, now I have family trust issues!

Christodoulides wrote
    The LOST suite, for instance, its original character was completely changed...any ideas?

During the rehearsals when they performed Lost, for about five seconds I thought "choir, that's stupid!" but then it suddenly occurred to me that it sounded like the early season one synthy-choral-like-drone music. Whether that was the intention (maybe it was just used to sound more "epic"?) I thought it was incredibly clever.

Now while I don't think the orchestration in the show should be altered at all, I must say that as a concert piece the inclusion of choir was fantastic!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Now that you mention it, I have to say that on sunday afternoon there was a Farewell Concert by the Municipal Band which was closer in spirit to the original sound of Lost. I mean it was a smaller orchestra, without choir and what´s more important, they performed the Oceanic´s Six Theme! (which wasn´t included in the symphonic suite). "Landing Party" from season 4 precisely.

Oh noes!! I missed this?! Please tell me somebody has a video?! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    So it actually had nothing to do with telling a composer "I've never heard your music before." biggrin

Great, now I have family trust issues!

Christodoulides wrote
    The LOST suite, for instance, its original character was completely changed...any ideas?

During the rehearsals when they performed Lost, for about five seconds I thought "choir, that's stupid!" but then it suddenly occurred to me that it sounded like the early season one synthy-choral-like-drone music. Whether that was the intention (maybe it was just used to sound more "epic"?) I thought it was incredibly clever.

Now while I don't think the orchestration in the show should be altered at all, I must say that as a concert piece the inclusion of choir was fantastic!

From what i've heard, i wasn't impressed.

Sure, it's nice to try and muscle-up non-symphonic in character pieces to be performed live, but orchestration and arranging correctly is a very tough art very few possess. It needs balance and metered actions above all otherwise all the pieces are going to get part of their initial identity scrapped and they'll end up sound like different pieces but from the same composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

Great, now I have family trust issues! !

Well actually Doyle did mention that "I've never heard your music before" thing when I asked biggrin

Anthony wrote

Totally agree. As a CONCERT piece, it was awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Well actually Doyle did mention that "I've never heard your music before" thing when I asked biggrin

I was so sure about that; it was in no-way totally irrelevant with the outburst for sure.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see, but if you start complaining about something then I can see why he got upset.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

Oh noes!! I missed this?! Please tell me somebody has a video?! cry

Shame on me. I had the suspicion it would be the last theme to be performed but didn´t grab the camera for recording shame I just wanted to enjoy the cue!
    The thing is we hadn´t thought attending that concert, but Alex and I were having a walk and when we were close to the Hospital de Santiago we listened some Lost notes. It was like, "what is this?!" And then we ran into the courtyard to enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see, but if you start complaining about something then I can see why he got upset.

Well it was a mix of various issues that made him angry. Don´t think a professional should react that way though, ever.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Did they play other Lost/Giacchino music then?

Edit: Never mind, read your edited post.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Well it was a mix of various issues that made him angry. Don´t think a professional should react that way though, ever.

Oh good, so there's more. rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes, they played some cues, at least we managed to listen to 3 of them!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

Oh good, so there's more. rolleyes slant

Nevermind, in a few days it will be just an anecdote.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope so! I was trying to come across as normal (especially as I want to get in contact with Giacchino) so hopefully his last memory of me won't be as "the son of the crazy lady". slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Don´t think so. It´s just an anecdote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly.
    The Crazy Lady anecdote.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    shame biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Now that you mention Giacchino, you haven´t said you spoke witht he guy (and I have a photo that proves it) and that he knew about your work!