• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    You can actually buy that readymade freezedried here. cool

Get the fook!??? uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    Imagine my pleasure to open the package, and find my copy of Until September looked like this.

And by that stage, the CD had already sold out, so I wasn't hopeful of getting a replacement. Fortunately SAE saved the day! (And the undamaged copy has now arrived safely.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    slant
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Imagine my pleasure to open the package, and find my copy of Until September looked like this.

And by that stage, the CD had already sold out, so I wasn't hopeful of getting a replacement. Fortunately SAE saved the day! (And the undamaged copy has now arrived safely.)

Whoah! Glad it worked out in the end. Is that Pane e Liberta below that? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I get a 60 packet box of Nestle cocoa mix for $6
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Cripes! shocked slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

Whoah! Glad it worked out in the end. Is that Pane e Liberta below that? punk

Well spotted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    I get a 60 packet box of Nestle cocoa mix for $6

Interesting. But without a photo, quite a curious comment!
  1. In amongst doing some work on the electron microscope today I took this image of a labybird's leg. For an idea of scale, the distance between the two "hairs" in the top right part of the image is ~50 µm (1 µm = 1/millionth of a metre)

I was pleased at becoming more proficient and wanted to post one of those alien-type close-ups of the business end of the insect but the sample's orientation wasn't quite right. maybe next time.

(This post could quite easily have appeared in the "made my day a little bit better"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    That is some shot Alan shocked And you get to play with stuff us terrestrial photographers can't,
  2. Timmer wrote
    That is some shot Alan shocked And you get to play with stuff us terrestrial photographers can't,

I am quite lucky. That image only has an original magnification of x1,000. I'm not expert enough yet to get sharp enough images at really high magnifications of x60,000.

But as the days get warmer and the insects begin to appear... lick
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    Ye-e-e-e-e-e-es-s-s-s.
    Well.
    Don't call us.
    We'll call you.
    (some things quite unsuitable for print)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Ye-e-e-e-e-e-es-s-s-s.
    Well.
    Don't call us.
    We'll call you.
    (some things quite unsuitable for print)

Don't call him.

Call Me!

I wanna see! lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2009
    The Aztecs got the opportunity to play one game in the San Diego Padre Petco Park. The crowd was poor which I'll show you later one in another photo. The pitcher on the mound is the #1 college prospect for the major leagues. Alan has seen the park so he knows how close I am to the field of play.

http://rapidshare.com/files/217343817/P … y.jpg.html
    MD5: 37C2946D4BD1108AB4223677341CFE9F

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good photos Tom, but have you got any non-baseball pics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thouht the Aztecs' favourite game was running the gaunlet, or toss the battle axe. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    http://rapidshare.com/files/218130838/r … h.jpg.html
    MD5: 4A0EAD2665769B2A99026611A73A66EA

Steven, the answer is I have a lot of pictures but this is my season for shooting Aztec baseball. It will conclude at the end of May.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009 edited
    My picture of the day is one I took this afternoon. We found a dead baby bird on our terrace in the garden and then a few minutes later another one. I went inside to get a piece of paper and when I got back there was a third one! I think they were thrown out of their nest, which may be in our roof gutter. And they are tiny! I have no idea what kind of bird they are from. We have really little birds in the garden, but also the bigger black ones and once in a while a pigeon. They were about 4 centimeters. We buried them in the garden.
    sad

Baby birds 1

Baby birds 2

Now I regret not taking a picture of Quinn. When we noticed a third one had dropped I said 'it's raining dead birds' ! And I went inside again to the attic to see if I could look in the roof gutter but I couldn't see anything. When I came back outside, Quinn was on the terrace with an umbrella above her head. She didn't want dead birds to fall on her head!
    applause
  4. Bregje wrote
    My picture of the day is one I took this afternoon. We found a dead baby bird on our terrace in the garden and then a few minutes later another one. I went inside to get a piece of paper and when I got back there was a third one! I think they were thrown out of their nest, which may be in our roof gutter. And they are tiny! I have no idea what kind of bird they are from. We have really little birds in the garden, but also the bigger black ones and once in a while a pigeon. They were about 4 centimeters. We buried them in the garden.
    sad

Baby birds 1

Baby birds 2

Now I regret not taking a picture of Quinn. When we noticed a third one had dropped I said 'it's raining dead birds' ! And I went inside again to the attic to see if I could look in the roof gutter but I couldn't see anything. When I came back outside, Quinn was on the terrace with an umbrella above her head. She didn't want dead birds to fall on her head!
    applause

ohhh how sad shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    I don't know much about birds (not really interested in birds actually) but does anyone know why birds are thrown out of their nest? Does the mother bird do it or an 'enemy' bird? Or were they probably already dead? I don't know. But they were so tiny. It's because of my macro pictures that I can see the details now.
  5. Bregje wrote
    I don't know much about birds (not really interested in birds actually) but does anyone know why birds are thrown out of their nest? Does the mother bird do it or an 'enemy' bird? Or were they probably already dead? I don't know. But they were so tiny. It's because of my macro pictures that I can see the details now.

perhaps it is indeed mother abandoning them, or perhaps a moment when the nest loses its balance and drops down (wind or another animal hitting it)

don't know exactly, but nature's cruel sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    Creepy...

I thought young were thrown out by either competitors looking for nesting place of their own, or because the young were dead already.
  6. Bregje wrote

I think that it depends on the species of bird. Some are raiders of nests, sometimes it's siblings who want to maximise it's own chances of surviving by disposing of their brothers and sisters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009
    We may not understand nature but it somehow works fine when man doesn't interfere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    We may not understand nature...

You mean we may not understand all of nature. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote

I guess it's a kind of cuckoo chick who threw out those baby birds... there are some bird species known as "brood parasites"! A cuckoo mother lays one of her egg in a nest of other species, and soon after the "foster" chick hatches, it throw its "nestmates" out of the nest. Then the parasitic chick exploit all foods and care from its host parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_parasitism

It sounds cruel but it's really interesting behaviour! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A little knowledge is dangerous
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    We may not understand nature but it somehow works fine when man doesn't interfere.

Tell THAT to the dinosaur! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    A little knowledge is dangerous

Lack of knowledge certainly is!