• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Time for some safari pics.

Start with an elephant.

Nice. Take that yourself?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Start with an elephant.

Yes. I had a big learning curve in photography over that week. By the end I was more calculating in the shots I took. Any decent pictures from the start of the week (like the elephant one) are simply coincidental. Though to be honest, with that subject matter, most photos would look pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Start with an elephant.

Yes. I had a big learning curve in photography over that week. By the end I was more calculating in the shots I took. Any decent pictures from the start of the week (like the elephant one) are simply coincidental. Though to be honest, with that subject matter, most photos would look pretty good.

It's a good pic, but I think it would be even better if you cropped away the parent elephant behind the tree in the far right. Makes the baby elephant more alone in that powerful scenery.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Start with an elephant.

It's a good pic, but I think it would be even better if you cropped away the parent elephant behind the tree in the far right. Makes the baby elephant more alone in that powerful scenery.

You're right, and I did think that once I'd uploaded it this morning. I actually needed a picture with a 2:1 ratio for a project I'm doing, and didn't want to lose resolution by cropping horizontally. But you're quite right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://imgur.com/hLjti.jpg

This is what it looks like cropped. Perhaps the file size is too small
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

Umm... I think this is what Thor meant by cropping out the adult elephant.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

Umm... I think this is what Thor meant by cropping out the adult elephant.

-Erik-

Yes, that's what I had in mind, i.e. retaining the grand canvas of the scenery, but just chopping off that tiny bit on the right where the adult elephant is. It just seems like a stronger "statement" that way, with the small elephant alone, "hiking" across the landscape. At least IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cool pic. I wanna see more James.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    OK... here's another then! Hitching a ride with mother.

Oh, that's so cute. Looking back on what the hell those crazy humans are doing, shooting his picture.

Man, this safari of yours must have been some experience, Southall. I'm totally envious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hundreds of them appeared out of nowhere and started walking past our jeep. It was great.

The safari was a real experience. It was incredibly expensive, but however long it takes to save enough, I just know I have to do it again some day. I knew I would like it, since the natural world is a real passion of mine; but it blew my expectations away, it really did. Anyone with an interest in that sort of thing would love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Hundreds of them appeared out of nowhere and started walking past our jeep. It was great.

The safari was a real experience. It was incredibly expensive, but however long it takes to save enough, I just know I have to do it again some day. I knew I would like it, since the natural world is a real passion of mine; but it blew my expectations away, it really did. Anyone with an interest in that sort of thing would love it.

As you may or may not know, Kenya is on my Top 5 places to visit list.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    Southall wrote
    OK... here's another then! Hitching a ride with mother.

Smashing picture of Sunil.....and if I'm not mistaken that's Jordi hitching a free ride!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Your a beast
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Some great photos there, James.

You mentioned that you had a big learning curve with the photography. I had a similar experience when we were on holiday. Firstly there was trying to take different photos from the ones we took last year, but also I wanted to try and see if I could improve upon the photos I had already taken.

In a lot of the photos I've taken in the past when capturing the scenery the sky was all washed out: over-exposed since the landscape was quite dark in comparison. This time I narrowed down the area that was used in the view to assess exposure and then metered for the sky rather than the landscape. This meant that the sky was quite good but the landscape was a bit under-exposed. At the moment I'm seeing how Photoshop can help me to bring out some of the details in the landscape but retain the lovely sky.

Hopefully I'll "exhibit" some photos here soon.

Also, one thing I did notice. Remember when on things like Blade Runner and The X-Files when they're examining photographs and they zoom in on an area of interest and the resolution suddenly improves instead of becoming pixelated? Well that magically improving resolution doesn't happen in real life! wink

I managed to capture a photo of an otter swimming, but even at maximum zoom (12x), it still looks very small in the frame. But when I enlarge that particular area it's not long before it's just a brown pixelated mass.

Looking forward to seeing more photos, James.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan, have you ever tried using a polarizing filter?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Alan, have you ever tried using a polarizing filter?

I have thought about it - and I've even had a look online for to get one. But I'd rather speak to someone face-to-face and ask a few questions about pros and cons.

Would a polarizing filter sort out the over-exposing of the sky? I wouldn't have thought so.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    A polarizing filter, will have an impact on the entire scene but will enhance the clouds because it makes the blue in the sky darker. Your dealing with what we struggled forever with film called dynamic range (black to white exposure range). If you can make the effort a couple of things you can try. Manually measure the sky and manually measure the foreground. Set this exposure, the average, on your camera and then bracket as many as 9 shots over and under. Using enhancing/levels in photoshop where you set your black and white can then help you get a good shot. Hope that helps a little bit.
    Thomas
  3. Thanks, Tom.

I did think to bracket my photos - my camera can be set to take 3 photos at once: one "proper" photo and one additional shot either side of the original photograph. And the extent to which the photos either side are from the original can be set also. But I didn't do any experimentation before my holiday to be confident whilst away.

What I did practice before going was trying to do some "astrophotos". I thought that will the low amounts of light pollution on Skye I might be able to get some good starfields. However, every single night of the holiday was overcast. Not a single clear night for the whole fortnight.

Though I did get some reasonable sunset shots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    This is an example of what I was trying to do:

The Cuillins from Elgol

But I think that I need to try and bring up the foreground a bit...and maybe sharpen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is an example of what I was trying to do:

The Cuillins from Elgol

But I think that I need to try and bring up the foreground a bit...and maybe sharpen.

Great pic Alan, it takes me back to being there, what a gorgeous place cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    You could make the print a little bit brighter and still hold your highlights.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, have you tried the LEVELS function in photoshop? There's even an automatic level correction function which is very useful if you're lazy but won't always bring out the correct results of course, like everything automatic in software. I think it's "ctrl+shift+L".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, have you tried the LEVELS function in photoshop? There's even an automatic level correction function which is very useful if you're lazy but won't always bring out the correct results of course, like everything automatic in software. I think it's "ctrl+shift+L".

The "levels" option in Photoshop is the main thing I'm trying to use to improve the images. Thanks Demetris for confirming I'm on the right track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You can always try the lasso tool and choose certain areas which you want to improve, not the entire image itself, if you aren't already doing it. It's the no.1 tool in photoshop, altering certain areas. Sharpening the foreground and gaussian blurring the foreground, maybe can help you too. Experiment, work with it smile You need a steady hand for the lasso tool but once you've mastered it, you can do everything.
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...the lasso tool...

I find the tool very frustrating sometimes - especially the "magnetic"(?) version. Do you know if there's an option the delete just the most recent "link" in the chain rather than having to delete the whole set and start afresh?

NP: Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann (the James Conlon re-recording)

A beautiful score from a true master.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    alt-ctrl-z (edit-step backward) doesn't do it? Otherwise, there's the history column (bottom right if i remember correctly) from which you can right click and erase just one step, the one you want?
    •  
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    alt-ctrl-z (edit-step backward) doesn't do it?

I haven't tried that yet - but I will now. Cheers!
    punk

NP: eXistenZ - Howard Shore