• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010
    Eric wrote
    I always buy the physical CD . I love to browse through the booklet and stuff.

Who doesn't? Nothing surpass that; often the money is not there though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Sometimes the lavishness of the booklet means that it's best not to read the booklet at all! dizzy

The Spartacus book is so extensive that I don't dare open it for fear of the binding suddenly coming apart and me having an avalanche of pages falling at my feet.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Indeed and some booklets need to be opened with white gloves to prevent fingerprint stains ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote

... often the money is not there though.

Sounds all too familiar ...
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010
    Alain Jomy - L'accompagnatrice
    Laurent Juillet & Denis Penot - Fair Play
    Vangelis - Chariots of Fire (2nd copy)
    Jacques Morelenbaum - O Quatrilho
    Søren Hyldgaard - Till Eulenspiegel
    Edvin Marton & Ludovico Einaduoi - Mission: Saturn - Reise Zum Herrn Der Ringe

Kôkaku Kidôtai 2: Inosensu - music video anthology dvd
    A release with a long music video of Kawai's music , some filmcards and the normal cd release
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    Hey Thor,

I see that The Orb & David Gilmour's Metalic Spheres is released on Monday, looking forward to hearing this and I'm going to pick it up on Monday on it's release. I've also heard good things about the latest album by Air, apparently it's quite "dark and cinematic", have you heard anything about this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rio Conchos - Jerry Goldsmith - gorgeous theme and a splendid recording of the The Agony And The Ecstacy prologue, otherwise too much "underscore" to be a thoroughly enjoyable score. Excellently recorded though, exceedingly crisp!

The Organization - Gil Mellé - The clips won me over. The first track is a funktastically seventies' track. Brilliant listen. Looking forward to sampling the full CD.

Hawaii Five-O - Morton Stevens - this may be THE ultimate TV theme, and it sounds as clean, fresh, energetic and exciting as itf it were recorded yesterday. The rest of the cool jazz tracks is thoroughly enjoyable and -as Tom already noticed- rather reminiscent of the work of latin jazz/funk/soundtrack legend Lalo Schifrin. Massive stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Thor,

I see that The Orb & David Gilmour's Metalic Spheres is released on Monday, looking forward to hearing this and I'm going to pick it up on Monday on it's release. I've also heard good things about the latest album by Air, apparently it's quite "dark and cinematic", have you heard anything about this?

No, afraid not, but the description sounds enticing. I don't have a single Orb album, only bits and pieces and individual tracks. METALLIC SPHERES will be my first album from them, and I'll pick it up as soon as it gets available too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do enjoy browsing through booklets as well. But a lot of the recent releases' information ranges from being very basic (e.g., Varese's standard releases) through to the lavishness of the LOTR releases/FSM/Intrada (sometimes), etc. Silva's notes on the Doctor Who series are better than most but aren't "essential".

I will be interested to hear what's in the booklet.

I finally received my CD on friday ...
    If you're a fan of the series and Murray Gold's music then this is another must buy in my book !
    Action , fun and lots of emotion - it's all there !
    The booklet has about 15 pages Alan and has some lovely photos of each of the specials throughout .
    It has an informative little introduction by Murray Gold (normally they planned a one disc edition , but Silva screen offered to put out a double) and each and every track has its own little interesting tidbits also provided by Murray . Another quality Doctor Who release by Silva . Only about € 12.00 for this double disc release - so c'mon what's keeping you from ordering ?! wink

God ! I sound like a sales person there at the end ! lol
  2. Thanks for the information, Eric.

I actually bought the download last week and have been listening to some of it more than others since. I have yet to warm to the first CD and by far the best part of this release is the music for "The End of Time".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    "The End of Time" music is indeed top of the bill of this release !
    Sometimes it makes me wanna grab at the Kleenex again - pure emotion , just beautiful !
    I also love the music of "The Next Doctor" ...
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    Ulrich Sinn - Weihnachtsfieber
    Arthur Honegger - Les Misérables
    Philippe Eidel - Imuhar
    Jaime Delgado Aparicio - El Embajador Y Yo
    Nino Rota - The Symphonic Fellini/Rota
    Nino Rota - The Godfather suite
    Luciano Michelini - La Polizia Accusa: Il Servizio Segreto Uccide
    Antón García Abril & Marcello Giombini - ...4 ...3 ...2 ...1 ...Morte
    Angelo Francesco Lavagnino - L'Intrigo
    Angelo Francesco Lavagnino - Oggi a me... domani a te!
    Mario Migliardi - A Come Andromeda
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Max Richter
    infra
    the blue notebooks

Hans ZImmer
    Inception

All on vinyl. I am very sattisfied.
  3. Infra seems to have a lot of FX that's an integral part of the music - at least that's what I'm hearing from the clips I've heard. Is it the same throughout the full tracks?

BTW, I like Richter's Henry May Long and his recent Elle s'appelait Sarah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's very minimalistic and packed with sound design, kinda like Sakamoto's works with Alva Noto. It's the opposite to Blue Notebooks in fact.

Alan have you watched those films or are the scores available too?
  4. The scores are available as downloads:

Henry May Long and Elle s'appelait Sarah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, thank you! How are they, how would you describe them? (can't listen now)
  5. Henry May Long is quite a melanchonic score that is captured well by the limited musical ensemble of strings and piano. Some lovely string and piano solo passages peppered throughout the score. Action is not really on the menu with this one! The score fits the movie ("...Henry May Long is a very well-acted, dimly lit, depressing turn-of-the-century period piece about a friendship between a fatally ill man and a melancholy, indebted junkie...") like a glove!

Elle s'appelait Sarah ("...a highly emotional yet unsentimental story about a Paris-based journalist digging into a Holocaust story that she discovers has a connection to her own family...") is similar to the previous score as it features predominantly both strings and piano but there's less of a constant feel of melancholia here: the score does have one or two more upbeat and dramatic tracks. There's a bit more variety to this score - hence I don't have all of the tracks that are available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Some time ago, I ordered some cd's that BhelPuri offered. Some I already had in theft format. The set arrived today!

Moby Dick - Gordon
    Oscar and Lucinda - Newman
    Total Eclipse - Kaczmarek
    Aimee & Jaguar - Kaczmarek
    Needful Things - Doyle
    Anthony & Cleopatra - Scott
    L'Ennemi Intime - Desplat
    Birth - Desplat
    Map of the Human Heart - Yared
    Pan Tadeusz - Kilar

And some Morricone's
    Legend of 1900
    Two Mules for Sister Sara/Days of Heaven
    Cosi'Come Sei
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    Very good collection!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Some time ago, I ordered some cd's that BhelPuri offered. Some I already had in theft format. The set arrived today!

Moby Dick - Gordon
    Oscar and Lucinda - Newman
    Total Eclipse - Kaczmarek
    Aimee & Jaguar - Kaczmarek
    Needful Things - Doyle
    Anthony & Cleopatra - Scott
    L'Ennemi Intime - Desplat
    Birth - Desplat
    Map of the Human Heart - Yared
    Pan Tadeusz - Kilar

And some Morricone's
    Legend of 1900
    Two Mules for Sister Sara/Days of Heaven
    Cosi'Come Sei

Most excellent purchase Bregt beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    Shame about all those Desplats though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I looooooove Birth.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. I guess I'm the only Desplat fan who can't get into that score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Birth is excellent! One of the finest scores written in the past ten years or so! This coming from a non-Desplat fan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Birth is excellent! One of the finest scores written in the past ten years or so! This coming from a non-Desplat fan!

-Erik-

Absolutely agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010
    Purchased in Gent last weekend, for only 8,- EUR each (bargain!):

MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone (with an apology to the guy out of which hands I snapped it wink)
    SLEEPERS - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Finally bought the Indiana Jones Soundtrack Collection yesterday .
    Already played Raiders & Temple of Doom & the bonus CD earlier today...
    Great stuff !
  7. Arrived in the post today:

Rain Man* - Hans Zimmer
    Red Sonja - Ennio Morricone
    Human Target - Bear McCreary

And SAE threw in for free:

The Big Empty - Brian Tyler

*I wonder why Perseverance Records released Rain Man when "This album was transferred from really crappy analog files..."? I know that Zimmer was completely unsupportive of this release but if the sound wasn't great then why bother?

And apparently, although there are these comments in the notes, I'm not sure much was said when this release was announced.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    Purchased in Gent last weekend, for only 8,- EUR each (bargain!):

MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone (with an apology to the guy out of which hands I snapped it wink)
    SLEEPERS - John Williams

Bargain. Love both those.