• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

More Goldsmith magic. This score is quite simply magnificent....if you don't have this then you have my pity tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

This deserves a punk .
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Drumline - John Powell

Put simply, it's probably his best lesser-known score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Independence Day - David Arnold

In parts, truly exceptional.

As a whole... a masterpiece!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Independence Day - David Arnold

In parts, truly exceptional.

As a whole... a masterpiece!!!

-Erik-

I agree. (But slightly reluctant to admit since so many will disagree... I'm sensitive about my favourite scores. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ETERNAL ECHOES - John Barry

Britains Got Genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Steven wrote
    Terminator Salvation Danny Elfman

An excellent Terminator score.

I don't know.... I do enjoy this score, but as a Terminator score? I think it should have referenced the old themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't know.... I do enjoy this score, but as a Terminator score? I think it should have referenced the old themes.

I'm glad it doesn't. No idea how it works in the film [I'm guessing quite well], but as an album it's good to hear something new, yet still feels like a Terminator score. (He does reference some of the effects of the old Terminator scores though, like the low growling noises.)

What I would have liked is a re-orchestrated super-awesome version of Fiedel's theme to end the album rather than the song, as the score ends on a bit of a whimper.

'Reveal/The Escape' is a great cue! Fans of Reign of Fire will probably like this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    What I would have liked is a re-orchestrated super-awesome version of Fiedel's theme to end the album rather than the song, as the score ends on a bit of a whimper.

Kunzel's arrangement would have been mindblowing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm glad it doesn't. No idea how it works in the film [I'm guessing quite well], but as an album it's good to hear something new, yet still feels like a Terminator score. (He does reference some of the effects of the old Terminator scores though, like the low growling noises.)

'Reveal/The Escape' is a great cue! Fans of Reign of Fire will probably like this one.

Really? I like Reign of Fire.

Still, I'll be watching the film soon anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

Really? Reign of Fire is, of course, kick ass! Would you say the Terminator score contains some of its ferocious nature throughout? Is it badass, or badass-light?

NP: HEAT - Elliot Goldenthal & v/a
    For long didn't buy it, since it's a v/a album, but I've got to admit the songs flow well with the score, especially since many of it don't contain any actual singing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Yes, shockingly for a film set in a post-apocalyptic near-future starring Christian Bale as a hardened leader of a rebel group of humans against an almost unstoppable force of terror, the score does sound quite similiar to Reign Of Fire.

Not quite as good though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Really? Reign of Fire is, of course, kick ass! Would you say the Terminator score contains some of its ferocious nature throughout? Is it badass, or badass-light?

Hmm, good question. I'd say it certainly contains a lot of the 'badass' you're referring to, and to be honest rarely lets up save for a couple of acoustic guitar renditions of the theme (or sub-themes). It's not quite as ferocious as Reign of Fire (though in some places gets very close), but it's certainly as raw and "post-apocalyptic" as Reign of Fire. Good stuff, highly recommended! (Not recommended for non-fans of Elfman though, I will admit.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Mummy Returns Alan Silvestri

I haven't listened to this one for ages! It's great to revisit it again.... oh I forgot how great this one sounds. Fantastic punchy recording (to say the least).

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Good stuff, highly recommended! (Not recommended for non-fans of Elfman though, I will admit.)

Hmm... Elfman is hit or miss for me, really. Loved Planet of the Apes, hated Red Dragon, loved Big Fish, yet Hellboy II didn't do anything for me, neither did The Kingdom, but Standard Operating Procedure is great. So I'm still in doubt confused . Well, I'll probably first see the film before deciding on a purchase smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, shockingly for a film set in a post-apocalyptic near-future starring Christian Bale as a hardened leader of a rebel group of humans against an almost unstoppable force of terror, the score does sound quite similiar to Reign Of Fire.

Not quite as good though.

Flip! I totally forgot who starred in Reign of Fire! dizzy biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SHAFT'S BIG SCORE - Gordon Parks

Cookin' cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: BOLT Academy Promo - John Powell

shame
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Miya wrote

shame

Where do people get this Academy Promo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    Googling. wink

And why the long face? I LOVE it, heard it long before watching the film and listen to it almost everyday! punk
  1. NP: The Moulin Rouge albums (various)

Actually pretty good.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    And why the long face? I LOVE it, heard it long before watching the film and listen to it almost everyday! punk

I swore that I wouldn't listen to the promo until I watch the film... but I gave in. shame

Awesome score any way. So many great cues were missed from the official album... now the soundtrack producers at Diensy Records are officially idiots. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Steven wrote

I liked what DANNY ELFMAN did; would have preferred MARCO BELTRAMI though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Moulin Rouge albums (various)

Actually pretty good.

Indeed; a very grand musical listening experience!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    I liked what DANNY ELFMAN did; would have preferred MARCO BELTRAMI though wink

No, I wanted Edward Shearmur! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote

shame

Yay, you gave in! What did you think? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

shame

Yay, you gave in! What did you think? biggrin

Fully awesome cheesy

Both quality of music and quantity. The official album was just like a collection of audio clips.
  2. NP: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING -- Howard Shore

CD 1
    1. One Ring to Rule them All (7.16)
    2. The Shire (7.03)
    3. Farewell Dear Bilbo (1.45)
    4. Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe (15.03)
    5. Saruman the White (4.08)
    6. A Shortcut to Mushrooms (4.07)
    7. The Nazgul (5.59)
    8. The Caverns of Isengard (4.53)
    9. Give up That Halfling! (4.48)
    10. Rivendell! (6.56)
    11. The Council of Elrond Assembles (4.00)
    12. I Will Go! (5.28)

CD 2
    1. Gilraen's Memorial (5.00)
    2. The Pass of Caradhras (5.04)
    3. The Doors of Durin (6.03)
    4. Balin's Tomb / The Bridge of Kzahad Dum (16.23)
    5. The Mirror of Galadriel (6.17)
    6. Parth Galen (9.13)
    7. The Departure of Boromir (5.29)
    8. The Road Goes Ever On (5.58)
    9. May it Be (7.07)

The best possible version punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009 edited
    NP The North Star (John Scott)

Of the composers I´ve discovered in the last years, Scott is the one I´m more proud of. The man has such an ability to write memorable main themes and melodic tunes and do it in a classic way that I love. Besides, he is such a warm and grateful person.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

In it's rightful place cool