• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Bold, Brassy, Bassey, Barry, Brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Could never get into that score, try as I might. Too brassy for my liking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009 edited
    Warriors Of Virtue Don Davis

Now here's a score more suited to my tastes! I've been listening to Erik's suite of this score for some time now but only recently acquired the full album, and it's pure film music heaven.

Hearing this score makes you realise how much influence Davis's orchestrations must have had on many of Horner's early 90s score, particularly Balto, The Rocketeer and The Pagemaster. Whether or not he had learned some of these techniques from Horner himself is hard to tell, but Davis has a very recognisable way of orchestrating (i.e. dense and complex).

The score itself is a fantastic action/adventure fantasy score brimming with memorable themes and epic writing. Fans of this kind of film music (and it's probably my favourite 'style' of score) should definitely give this one a try!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

It's not my favourite Bond score but it's still brilliant, the brass makes it very much a part of the whole film. Still, it's not your thing....fair do.

Talking of Goldfinger, when was the last time any Bond film had a henchman as memorably menacing as Odd-Job? Hell, the man doesn't even speak but boy whatta presense!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not my favourite Bond score but it's still brilliant, the brass makes it very much a part of the whole film. Still, it's not your thing....fair do.

With such a unique sound as the one Barry created for the Bond scores, it's inevitably not going to appeal to all. Unfortunately I belong to that group, I just can't for the life of me get into that old brassy Bond sound! (The films hold little appeal too.)

Anyway, back to Warriors Of Virtue.. love

Edit: I do appreciate Barry's Bond scores, I more than understand how important they were to the franchise. I can also appreciate how well they fitted the movies and culture of the time. But much like you and Mozart, I just can't bring myself to enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Bold, Brassy, Bassey, Barry, Brilliant!

And on to one of my top 5 favourite Bond scores...

NP : DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Thank the gods these finally got expanded, the original release just missed out all the really meaty material and presented us with a muzak lounge listening album ( slightly unfair as the loungey stuff was quite inviting ), this one has the fight music, the apocalyptic choral music and one of the very best villain themes ever written for Mr.Wint & Mr.Kidd, the creepy, perversely sexual music for this pair is a true touch of genius.

and Steven, no need to explain yourself, I'm cool with your views cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

Not my favorite MG score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote

It's quite difficult to get into this one ain't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote

It certainly is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    inFamous - Jim Dooley, Amon Tobin, Jonathan Mayer, Mel Wesson

The Amon Tobin stuff = great. smile

The Media Ventures = stuff not so great. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote

And since I like Media Ventures stuff... the whole thing will be great for me! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote

It certainly is.

Wasn't for me. It's one of my favorite Giacchino scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

What is this exactly, movie, videogame? And how is it like?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    video game
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    video game

Thx! And how is it like? tongue smile
  1. William wrote
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote

It certainly is.

Film : I like
    Score in the film : I semi like
    Score outside of the film : I don't like

Much unlike the film, the score is chaotic. The film itself is beautifully structured.

Robocop 2 (Leonard Rosenman)

Except for the main theme statements and variations, which I rather like and sound very much in line with what Poledouris wrote, this score really isn't so good. I don't know, the score sounds too fluffy and not exciting enough, it should be way more agressive, again Basil set the benchmark and it's hard to compete against.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    video game

Percussion...Amon Tobin starts sounding like John Powell, and the rest just sounds like standard (?) MV action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    video game

Percussion...Amon Tobin starts sounding like John Powell, and the rest just sounds like standard (?) MV action music.

So better to play the real Powell and/or good MV music then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek Michael Giacchino

Drunk as a skunk and enjoying a bit of Giacchino. (And there goes my alcohol detox that I've been on for weeks. rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

Mine neither. I still love it.
  2. NP: Up (Giacchino)

Very good, I think.
    And there's even a waltz! Nice to know Williams and Desplat aren't the only ones who can still write good ones. smile

However... if the temp track for 'Escape from Muntz' wasn't 'Escape from the City' from John Williams' WAR OF THE WORLDS, then I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo. It's been reworked to suit the melodies and timings of this new scene, but the structure and style of the original piece is quite noticeable.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

Drunk as a skunk and enjoying a bit of Giacchino. (And there goes my alcohol detox that I've been on for weeks. rolleyes )

biggrin beer

Quick, put GOLDFINGER on cheesy

It'll nay be long before you say "I fudjin luvsh thish score, I fudjin luvsh'it".
  3. NP: The Village (James Newton Howard)

Signs is probably his strongest film score for me, but this is the one I like the best. The shift from aggression to beauty at the end of 'Those we don't speak of' is one of those moments that made my heart flutter like a little girl's must when a dashing boy shows interest.

Once again, just checking to see if anyone actually reads this stuff. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Yes, we do wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Village (James Newton Howard)

Signs is probably his strongest film score for me, but this is the one I like the best. The shift from aggression to beauty at the end of 'Those we don't speak of' is one of those moments that made my heart flutter like a little girl's must when a dashing boy shows interest.

Yeah, Lady In The Water is my favourite JNH score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I was listening to it earlier today; loud.

Weak score? Disappointment? MY ASS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Village (James Newton Howard)

Absolutely adore Village, Signs and The Devil's Advocate. I think if i had to choose one of those, it'd be Village for me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Up (Giacchino)

Very good, I think.
    And there's even a waltz! Nice to know Williams and Desplat aren't the only ones who can still write good ones. smile

However... if the temp track for 'Escape from Muntz' wasn't 'Escape from the City' from John Williams' WAR OF THE WORLDS, then I'm the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo. It's been reworked to suit the melodies and timings of this new scene, but the structure and style of the original piece is quite noticeable.

Up is a bliss, from note one to end; those waltzes, the irresistible main theme and the muted 30's trumpet are an absolute WIN, as it's the whole year for Giacchino as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Very good, I think.

Up is a bliss, from note one to end; those waltzes, the irresistible main theme and the muted 30's trumpet are an absolute WIN, as it's the whole year for Giacchino as well!

Ditto! Absolutely lovely score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

Very good, I think.

I've struggled to become attached to this one. It's nice music but hasn't yet made a connection with me. Seems a long way behind the finesse of Ratatouille (my favourite Giacchino).