• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

Haven't heard this one in awhile.

And what was it that it made you to revisit? wink

That's a very good question! tongue vomit Actually, I love Bella's Lullaby, so I thought I'd revisit it to give that one track a listen. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

Haven't heard this one in awhile.

And what was it that it made you to revisit? wink

Mean comment you bad boy! "Bella's Lullaby"is wonderful! Not Burwell's finest hour all in all but a nice score anyway.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - hulk

A largely underrated and overlooked score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - hulk

A favourite of mine. A brilliant listen throughout!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Really like it. Have listened to it often since it arrived some time ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - hulk

A favourite of mine. A brilliant listen throughout!

Indeed; those themes are massive and addictive! Very well-built score and ages ahead Craig Armstrong's.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: War Of The Worlds - John Williams

Big. Timpani. Cool. Stuff.

But why no woodwinds? They would perfect this action music! Or was John Williams pulling a Jerry Bruckheimer on this one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

But why no woodwinds? They would perfect this action music! Or was John Williams pulling a Jerry Bruckheimer on this one?

Whatever he pulled, it was awesome!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Mmmm, I don't know. It's good, and the action music is superb, but without the woodwinds it doesn't elevate itself to that crazy, goosebump-inducing level. It sounds good, but kind of flat... Would you agree at all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, not the greatest fan of woodwinds here, i must say wink smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    Woodwinds, brass, low strings and timpani - the ingredients for the ultimate action music. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can go with a very able, expanded and complex string section in all registers, percussion and brass clusters anytime wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

The film didn't require woodwinds. Or perhaps more accurately it required a very oppressive sound... woodwinds aren't oppressive, they're hopeful. That is the nature of their sound and wouldn't have necessarily worked in the film.
  1. Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Mmmm, I don't know. It's good, and the action music is superb, but without the woodwinds it doesn't elevate itself to that crazy, goosebump-inducing level. It sounds good, but kind of flat... Would you agree at all?

I think he uses the bassoon in the 'Intersection' track, and the woodwinds are shrieking in some of the later cues. (As Herrmann said, there isn't anything more terrifying than 12 flutes playing unison.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

The film didn't require woodwinds. Or perhaps more accurately it required a very oppressive sound... woodwinds aren't oppressive, they're hopeful. That is the nature of their sound and wouldn't have necessarily worked in the film.

Spot on.

And D, woodwinds = cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote:
    Spot on.

Well, apart from what Michael said I suppose! But generally, woodwinds aren't usually what I would associate with the end of the world.
  2. Just played a few pieces of scores.

Home of Dark Butterflies (Panu Aaltio)
    Let the Right One In (Johan Soderqvist)
    Clockers (Terence Blanchard)
    The Claim (Michael Nyman)
    Little Buddha (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
    Regeneration (Mychael Danna)
    Penelope (Max Richter)

None of these will be heading for the box soon. (Although the first and the last don't exist in physical CD form, so that was never going to be an issue.)
  3. Lair (Debney)

I like this. It works. A case where temp track-itis gave us something really nice.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote:
    Spot on.

Well, apart from what Michael said I suppose! But generally, woodwinds aren't usually what I would associate with the end of the world.

In action music I think they add that insane "thrill" sound. Especially the way Williams uses them.
  4. Broken Arrow (Hans Zimmer)

A pure, testosterone-filled action score in that early Zimmer style I absolutely love... Much like Crimson Tide, this is true synthesized power, filled with memorable themes. I particularly love the one for the villain when it's performed by the woman. The action crescendo's always leave me on a perfect emotional high...

Pure A$$ Kickin' Fun !! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

Playing only the quieter cues right now. Mega exhausted as I'm just back from an exam, had a hell of a time jostling in the crowd and finding my hall, then had to wait in a queue in the hot sun as they were frisking everyone one by one. Now relaxing with some cool home made lemonade and cool music. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Pelican Brief - James Horner

It's been my first listen. I don't find this score especially appealing. The action cues are not memorable at all and there is the worst sounding synthetizer ever from Horner in some cues. The last long track and its predecessor, Darby's Theme are great, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Broken Arrow (Hans Zimmer)

A pure, testosterone-filled action score in that early Zimmer style I absolutely love... Much like Crimson Tide, this is true synthesized power, filled with memorable themes. I particularly love the one for the villain when it's performed by the woman. The action crescendo's always leave me on a perfect emotional high...

Can't.listen.to.it.for.a.single.minute! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

So...Do you not like Angels and Demons? tongue

NP:Quantum of Solace (Arnold)

What a kick ass score!!! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I can't either!? I think it's absolutely rubbish. (And that's not something I often say about any score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Terminator Salvation Danny Elfman

Love the film, love the score. Full on post-apocalyptic war! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I can't either!? I think it's absolutely rubbish. (And that's not something I often say about any score.)

And probably not a surprise that I hated it too. This is one of a tiny number of albums I took back to the store for money back / exchange.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

Mel and her sister went to see it yesterday and both came back with very possitive views. ( Mel also informed me that the music was by Danny Elfman.....bless er cheesy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good girl! love

Overseas (i.e. domestic American) reactions have been rather lukewarm though, and it appears now as if the originally envisioned new Terminator trilogy (of which Salvation was the first installment) will quite probably not come to pass. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Mel and her sister went to see it yesterday and both came back with very possitive views. ( Mel also informed me that the music was by Danny Elfman.....bless er cheesy )

Good! I've read some very negative things about this film, and I honestly can't understand why? I think McDouche and team did an excellent job in bringing the war on Skynet to the screen.