• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Here's a snippet of someone's review from IMDB:

In any possible aspect this film is unique and like no other: it was made like no other, it includes images and sounds like no other, and it has a theme and message so strong like no other film (some getting close) in the whole history of movie making. Great art doesn't need to be conventional and like the other works of its kind, and possibly the greatest thing an artist can achieve is a new, powerful, view and way to present it. That Noé achieved and delivered.

Quite the antithesis to your view Martijn!

That's the same lame-ass excuse "artists" presenting dead bodies, or cows chainsawed in half as art have been using for decades.
    Art is supposed to enrich our lives (and that may very well be in a controversial way, I don't mind that, or any challenge, at all). But it NEEDS to have a point.
    This film doesn't, and the fact that it's "unique" and "like no other" (both qualifications being abjectly wrong, by the way, witness the myriad of snuff, torture and rape movies in existence) by NO means WHATSOEVER qualify it as art.

And that's the last I will say about this execrable pile of vomit.
    Unless some nimrod mistakenly feels he needs to defend the film's "worth".

beer

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … x/#Item_29
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I saw, and completely agree with your assessment, D.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Again, shocking that it's YOU posting that.

Why specifically HIM?
    Did he come back from the future where the film is hailed as the most important work ever made, bringing about global unity and everlasting peace?

Because I seem to recall he's expressed quite a few unfair critiques of certain scores or films that I've felt haven't deserved it. I'm not sure if he's being serious there, but if he is it's an absolute shame. I hate to see someone so blinded by their own criticisms! (Or in this case prejudices/prejudgments.)

Sorry, but it's a pet hate of mine when people get snobbish about something that doesn't meet their specific expectations. I apologise for being annoyed at that. wink

And I apologise for being the snob. But all I'm really doing is comparing to what came before. IMO it was brilliance that came before it and it may be unfair to judge this new Terminator before seeing it, but since the first trailer was shown I didn't not have one ounce of hope this movie would be anywhere decent. It all felt more Mad Max than Terminator. With a ridiculous big Transformer droid that sticks out like a sore eye. Having nothing but high admiration for T1, 2 and even 3 it's sad that the studio gave this to a hack of a director in the first place. At least Jonathan Mostow (T3) understood what the Terminator universe was about and gave it a truly fitting ending. And Cameron gave it a big beating heart. They should have left it at that, only Jimbo should have continued this series, or not at all.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited
    I genuinely believe McDouche has actually given a good interpretation of the war that all the previous films have mentioned (or only seen in small scenes). This film is primarily a WAR film and it makes no qualms about it. Watch it with the frame of mind that this is NOT meant to be anything like the previous films (even though it stays true to the Terminator universe) and you may find yourself enjoying a lot more than many of these hardtoplease critics have. Don't judge it against Cameron's films, first judge it within its own right. Then judge it against the first films.

Great special effects, genuinely SCARY terminators and consistent, well-thought out action scenes plus countless details that pay tribute to Cameron's films makes this -in my view- a resounding success.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I genuinely believe McDouce has actually given a good interpretation of the war that all the previous films have mentioned (or only seen in small scenes). This film is primarily a WAR film and it makes no qualms about it. Watch it with the frame of mind that this is NOT meant to be anything like the previous films (even though it stays true to Terminator universe) and you may find yourself enjoying a lot more than many of these hardtoplease critics have. Don't judge it against Cameron's films, first judge it within it's own right. Then judge it against the first films.

Great special effects, genuinely SCARY terminators and consistent, well-thought out action scenes plus countless details that pay tribute to Cameron's films makes this -in my view- a resounding success.

You just changed my previous view of not being sure whether to watch or not beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good! Don't believe everything the critics are saying. I'm a BIG fan of Cameron's films, and I loved this movie! (Some people take things too seriously, and this film is just a hugely entertaining romp from start to finish. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining. Films like this are why I love going to the cinema!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if it makes for a good couple of hours of pure entertainment that doesn't underestimate my intelligence and doesn't have Will Ferrel in it, then i'm all for it!
  2. Steven wrote
    I genuinely believe McDouche has actually given a good interpretation of the war that all the previous films have mentioned (or only seen in small scenes). This film is primarily a WAR film and it makes no qualms about it. Watch it with the frame of mind that this is NOT meant to be anything like the previous films (even though it stays true to the Terminator universe) and you may find yourself enjoying a lot more than many of these hardtoplease critics have. Don't judge it against Cameron's films, first judge it within its own right. Then judge it against the first films.

Well you know what Steven, like with everything I need big amounts of persuasion in my life, and you've just convinced me to watch this film without any preconceptions and just try to watch it with the right frame of mind and not judge it to any of the other films. But I can't promise you I will enjoy it. tongue

Maybe we'll talk again about Terminator Salvation AFTER I've seen it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Good! Don't believe everything the critics are saying. I'm a BIG fan of Cameron's films, and I loved this movie! (Some people take things too seriously, and this film is just a hugely entertaining romp from start to finish. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining. Films like this are why I love going to the cinema!)

Empire agrees with you, giving the film a healthy 4/5 stars.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PIRATES OF Thhhhhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep

Wha..... uhm rolleyes

The 3rd one, not really my thang but it's listenable enough.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: War of the Worlds - John Williams

Good score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Samsara (Morin)

Lovely music. My own short suite of this score goes: 'Pema's theme', 'Maniwall', 'For Noble Truths', 'Tashi meets pema', 'Kala's theme', 'Dawa's arrival', 'Acceptance', 'The Stick and the River', 'Tashi's Theme'.

When Morin is on a melodic mode like in Samsara, the results are truly delightful. But such scores are few and far between. The rest of his work is still good but requires a lot of patience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection - John Williams

More specifically, I'm listening to Raiders of the Lost Ark. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

Great score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote

Great score! punk

Coupled with BEOWULF, one of my favorites! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    omaha wrote
    A weak example being Downfall. Watching Hitler at a distance through much of the film.

shocked
    You...you didn't like Der Untergang? shocked
    Or did I misunderstand your analogy?

That film, sir, is one of the most brilliant cinematic efforts i've ever seen.

The films was absolutely brilliant. Best war film I've seen in a very long time. I meant it was a weak example to compare the treatment of hitler in the film to how I would like to have seen John Connor treated.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

Great score! punk

Is the film worth it? I heard mixed reviews. I love the story.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    omaha wrote
    A weak example being Downfall. Watching Hitler at a distance through much of the film.

shocked
    You...you didn't like Der Untergang? shocked
    Or did I misunderstand your analogy?

That film, sir, is one of the most brilliant cinematic efforts i've ever seen.

The films was absolutely brilliant. Best war film I've seen in a very long time. I meant it was a weak example to compare the treatment of hitler in the film to how I would like to have seen John Connor treated.

At least I understood what you meant. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    good wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

Great score! punk

Is the film worth it? I heard mixed reviews. I love the story.

Saw it in 3D CINEMA; was blown away. Don't know how's the experience on blu-ray or dvd though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's an odd film, Beowulf. I was certainly quite hooked throughout... but I'm not quite sure why.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's an odd film, Beowulf. I was certainly quite hooked throughout... but I'm not quite sure why.

From the clips I saw I've been put off seeing it. I think seeing it in 3D would make a helluva difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

From the clips I saw I've been put off seeing it. I think seeing it in 3D would make a helluva difference.

Paid $18 to see Beowulf in Imax 3D. There were only two things I liked-- the left boob and right boob of Jolie. Otherwise it's just another yarn with overblown music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, swords and knives coming into my FACE with Alan Silvestri's powerhouse rocking the house certainly made the difference for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, swords and knives coming into my FACE with Alan Silvestri's powerhouse rocking the house certainly made the difference for me!

Yeah, I'd dig that! Silvestri's score is very good IMO.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    LSH wrote
    NP: Coraline - Bruno Coulais

First listen on album although I loved it in the film.

cool

It's one of my favorite scores of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Coraline - Bruno Coulais

First listen on album although I loved it in the film.

cool

It's one of my favorite scores of the year.

It's magical; i saw the movie at the cinema the other day and was wholly captivated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    Steven wrote

I have a friend who is a film director and really picky about what films he likes (mostly period pieces) and he was very impressed with it! He basically said the same as Steven and recommended it highly.
    I think Elfman's score is fine. I've heard it many times now. So I just have to see the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

Yes... something we agree on... This calls for champagne!!

Anyway Beowulf is a masterpiece of animation, but not quite like Ratatouille or Wall-E. The story's a little more sinister than those and I totally loved it. Zemeckis is an awesome director and I've yet to be really disappointed by a film he makes. The blu-ray version is totally wicked!

Is it me or have the 'Now Playing' and 'Recent Viewing' topics been switched around?