• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Good! Don't believe everything the critics are saying. I'm a BIG fan of Cameron's films, and I loved this movie! (Some people take things too seriously, and this film is just a hugely entertaining romp from start to finish. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining. Films like this are why I love going to the cinema!)

I have a friend who is a film director and really picky about what films he likes (mostly period pieces) and he was very impressed with it! He basically said the same as Steven and recommended it highly.
    I think Elfman's score is fine. I've heard it many times now. So I just have to see the film.

beer

Me too. A very good action score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

punk cool

Lillian's Heart Attack just started.....AWESOME!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

Great score! punk

Coupled with BEOWULF, one of my favorites! punk

Agreed! beer
  1. NP: Youth without Youth (Osvaldo Golijov)

For me, this is The Red Violin of the last few years. A case where a concert hall giant came to score a film and gave us something no one else could have.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Great Escape punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TWO STEPS FROM HELL - nemesis

Kick ass trailer music can't get any better!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Atonement - Dario Marianelli

It's one of those rare cases when the Oscar went to the right person for music. Marianelli's score is simply wonderful. I love the soft orchestration, the melancholic and the romantic passages. An album that's a pleasure to listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TYLER BATES - 300

Thought i'd revisit since i was in the mood for something loud and wanted to be reminded of the movie which i greatly enjoyed. This, ironically, is the most listenable score he has ever produced and the only one that isn't a complete mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote

It's one of those rare cases when the Oscar went to the right person for music. Marianelli's score is simply wonderful. I love the soft orchestration, the melancholic and the romantic passages. An album that's a pleasure to listen.

The dunkirk piece is one of the most impressive compositions i've ever experienced in the modern film music medium.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "medium"

It always sounds so silly. rolleyes wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    keky wrote

The dunkirk piece is one of the most impressive compositions i've ever experienced in the modern film music medium.

Agree and it is so powerful within context of the film, an incredibly moving piece of music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Rollicking theme, superb score punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA RESA DEI CONTI ( aka THE BIG GUNDOWN ) - Ennio Morricone

Brilliant! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Rollicking theme, superb score punk

So true. So true! beer
  2. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - Deluxe Edition (John Williams)

After his mammoth masterpiece that is Hook came this, and it has a lot in common with it stylistically. The themes from Home Alone are expanded / improved upon in every way and this album provides twice the amount of great Williams music, literally. There are a bunch of new themes and gorgeous cues that are so uplifting, I would want every christmas to have this particular sound playing.

So happy I managed to find a copy on eBay after so many years. spin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    American Journey John Williams

An instant fix of Williams brassy goodness (the kind of brass I like Timmer wink).

One of my most listened-to albums in my entire collection. Love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    American Journey John Williams

An instant fix of Williams brassy goodness (the kind of brass I like Timmer wink).

One of my most listened-to albums in my entire collection. Love it.

I like that kind of brassy goodness too.

NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

Fantastic score, one of the all time greats and with a theme to die for, IMO it might well be the greatest theme ever written!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Listening to Love Letters right now and it's gorgeous! love punk Marianelli certainly has a knack for writing film music that sounds like standalone classical pieces while still maintaining direction and coherency. Excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote

Listening to Love Letters right now and it's gorgeous! love punk Marianelli certainly has a knack for writing film music that sounds like standalone classical pieces while still maintaining direction and coherency. Excellent.

Too bad he didn't use that knack in the soloist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

I was actually just thinking the same thing. I honestly can't even tell which themes and ideas are Marianelli's own in The Soloist, and which are just Beethoven rehashes (granted, they're still good Beethoven rehashes). I recognize some of the Beethoven music, but the score is composed by Dario Marianelli, or so the cover says... So what music is actually by him? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

I was actually just thinking the same thing. I honestly can't even tell which themes and ideas are Marianelli's own in The Soloist, and which are just Beethoven rehashes (granted, they're still good Beethoven rehashes). I recognize some of the Beethoven music, but the score is composed by Dario Marianelli, or so the cover says... So what music is actually by him? confused

It's a big soup; i actually think he was outside his comfort zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Fantastic score, one of the all time greats and with a theme to die for, IMO it might well be the greatest theme ever written!?

Mighty strong words there Timmer. I can't say I've ever pondered about 'the greatest theme ever composed' because it's such an injustice to the rest.

I certainly enjoy The Big Country, but I've never given it God-like status like you do. I much prefer Rio Conchos, Tombstone or The Magnificent Seven as far as western scores go.
  3. NP: Mutant Chronicles - Richard Wells

My first listen, but it's making an immediate impression. Nothing much new - loud, percussive, choral action scoring - but enjoyable nonetheless.

Surprised to hear a Goldenthalian vibe (strings/choral feel (ala Final Fantasy in "Mutant Attack").
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Mutant Chronicles - Richard Wells

My first listen, but it's making an immediate impression. Nothing much new - loud, percussive, choral action scoring - but enjoyable nonetheless.

Surprised to hear a Goldenthalian vibe (strings/choral feel (ala Final Fantasy in "Mutant Attack").

Sounds good! If it's also heavy and dark, I'll probably listen to it as well lick (btw, I know the film hasn't exactly got the biggest budget, so would you say the score sounds big, or does the budget show?).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Mighty strong words there Timmer. I can't say I've ever pondered about 'the greatest theme ever composed' because it's such an injustice to the rest.

I certainly enjoy The Big Country, but I've never given it God-like status like you do. I much prefer Rio Conchos, Tombstone or The Magnificent Seven as far as western scores go.

I could change my mind at any moment wink

As for brilliant western themes I'd certainly put Mag 7 and The Good,Bad,Ugly right up there, all iconic and with very good reason.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Sounds good! If it's also heavy and dark, I'll probably listen to it as well lick (btw, I know the film hasn't exactly got the biggest budget, so would you say the score sounds big, or does the budget show?).

To me the score does sound big - and sounds like a live orchestra was used.

Apparently there's two versions of the movie - an early, short version (to raise money for a "proper" feature film) and the later full-length movie.

Here's a link to a review: http://scorenotes.com/soundtracks/mutantChronicles.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer

To be more precise Science and Religion. I've seen the film, I've read the book and nothing can represent the core of the whole story better than this cue. Very few words can describe the intensity of the emotions created.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer

[...] Very few words can describe the intensity of the emotions created.

Quite literally in fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Medal of Honor: Underground - Michael Giacchino

First listen. And so far, it's excellent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - terminator: salvation

A bit of his Hulk and The Wanted, thrown into the usual Elfman darkness and harsh electronics, this time combined with Beltrami rhythmic elements and you have one near-perfect recipe for a modern score of this kind. This assignment is a WIN in my books wink punk