• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Prestige - David Julyan

BORING! slant sleep

I can understand that, but in the film it's very effective (and this is what film music is primarily for, right?) Certainly not one that's meant to be noticed.

That's a score that I actually find very heavy to listen to. It's like putting a millstone on your chest and slowly piling on more weight! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    DANNY ELFMAN - corpse bride

Brilliant stuff

It's interesting hearing the roots of the Standard Operating Procedure here in this stop motion animation film score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Prestige - David Julyan

BORING! slant sleep

I can understand that, but in the film it's very effective (and this is what film music is primarily for, right?) Certainly not one that's meant to be noticed.

I happened to have rewatched the film last night, after first having seen it at initial theatrical release, and I realised again what a brilliant score it is. It adds so much to the tension of the film and is a character in itself, unlike a regular easy 'dronefest', which this isn't! On CD, I also find it a very captivating experience, to be honest. Not something you're listening tracks with, it only works when taking the whole score in once, with your full attention to it (which is absolutely key). One of Julyan's best works, along with Memento.

franz_conrad wrote
    It's like putting a millstone on your chest and slowly piling on more weight! wink

Exactly! Don't you love it? cool
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Steven wrote:
    Yeah? JAWS is certainly not a cringe worthy film. Yeah, the shark may look fake at times, but it's so well directed by a young Spielberg, it doesn't matter!

I first saw it about 4 years ago, didn't think it was cringe worthy at all.

Big Spielberg nut that I am, never thought as Jaws as one to have, sure it's a good effective thriller with standout moments, but I don't think it aged that well, and remember I was young as well when I first saw it, it just didn't rock my boat ( rolleyes ) like some of his other work. It still doesn't. The unseen alien abductors in CE3K give me the willies much more than that big ol' shark ever will... tongue

If I should give a personal Spielberg top 3 I would say: Saving Private Ryan, Close Encounters, Schindler's List. Jaws just don't cut it. IMO.

Shocking that you have another low opinion of something awesome! tongue

Even more shocking you don't count all those times I have a high opinion of something awesome. crazy

Jaws is something I would give *** or *** 1/2 stars if I am in an extremely good mood. That ain't exactly low.

I'd rather watch Titanic for the tenth time, that totally rocks my boat !!!! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Shocking that you have another low opinion of something awesome! tongue

Even more shocking you don't count all those times I have a high opinion of something awesome. crazy

A flawed dichotomy. One low opinion of something awesome is one more than you should have! biggrin
  4. NP: Adoration (Danna)

A top effort from Danna. The final track 'Scroll' has a beautifully simple violin finish.
  5. NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer)

Well nigh unbeatable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer)

Well nigh unbeatable.

Indeed. One of those rare beauties.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:wanted (Elfman)

I love it.

"revenge" is a kick ass track! Electric guitars, eectronics, Elfman's typical theme... punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tombstone Bruce Broughton

For me, the film is a dream come true. I only 'discovered' this film about a year ago, but I have been in love with it ever since. A well-paced film with a stupendously fantastic cast and a particularly good performance from Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday coupled with one of the best western scores I've ever heard!

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Tombstone Bruce Broughton

For me, the film is a dream come true. I only 'discovered' this film about a year ago, but I have been in love with it ever since. A well-paced film with a stupendously fantastic cast and a particularly good performance from Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday coupled with one of the best western scores I've ever heard!

love

Nowhere near as good as Dennis Quaid's take on the character in the superior Wyatt Earp.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nowhere near as good? Hmm, I think that's a bit of an overstatement considering how good Kilmer's performance is.

I'd take Tombstone over Wyatt Earp any day! (And its score.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nowhere near as good? Hmm, I think that's a bit of an overstatement considering how good Kilmer's performance is.

I'd take Tombstone over Wyatt Earp any day! (And its score.)

Okay, a bit of an overstatement, just 'better' IMO. Tombstone is more of an Hollywood quick fix of a film compared to the more enigmatic ( and lengthy ) Wyatt Earp, I prefer the Costner film as it has more of an air of authenticity about it.

I won't argue with you over the respective scores. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wyatt Earp's length killed it for me.
    And I agree with Steven that Kilmer's Doc Holiday is the superior one (however much I like Quaid as an actor).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Same here. I like Wyatt Earp, but Tombstone just gets straight down to the point with its simple-and-effective story... and I like that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Same here. I like Wyatt Earp, but Tombstone just gets straight down to the point with its simple-and-effective story... and I like that.

Well, the masses certainly agreed with you as Tombstone trounced Wyatt Earp at the box office.

Both 'Holliday's' performances were very good, it just comes down to opinion as to which is the better. I prefer Earp as a film, when it comes to films based on true stories Earp just had more reality and less Hollywood for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Earp was a son of a bitch who effectively rewrote history to fit his own frame of mind into a legend.
    I don't think either film addresses that particularly effectively, so with historic accuracy basically out of the window I simply prefer Tombstone as a film over yet another Costner plodfest.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

This has now become my favourite score of the year so far. The themes have grown immensely on me and I'm listening to it almost everyday more than once. Michael G. is one of the few modern composers who is ever innovative and keeps up a high quality of work throughout that rarely disappoints. I'm sure he has a bright future ahead. Really beautiful score this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

This has now become my favourite score of the year so far. The themes have grown immensely on me and I'm listening to it almost everyday more than once. Michael G. is one of the few modern composers who is ever innovative and keeps up a high quality of work throughout that rarely disappoints. I'm sure he has a bright future ahead. Really beautiful score this is.

Word; too soon to declare it a favorite score of the year or anything, but you surely make some perfectly valid points there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yup, that's why I said "so far". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Playing Escape From Muntz Mountain for something like the hundredth time now. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Playing Escape From Muntz Mountain for something like the hundredth time now. biggrin

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Earp was a son of a bitch who effectively rewrote history to fit his own frame of mind into a legend.
    I don't think either film addresses that particularly effectively, so with historic accuracy basically out of the window I simply prefer Tombstone as a film over yet another Costner plodfest.

Fair enough Martijn, I haven't seen either film for a very long time. As far as I remember Costner gives a portrayal of a multi-layered individual but certaily doesn't paint him as some heroic figure.

NP : MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - Gabriel Yared

Gorgeous and varied score cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Fair enough Martijn, I haven't seen either film for a very long time. As far as I remember Costner gives a portrayal of a multi-layered individual but certaily doesn't paint him as some heroic figure.

.....with a KILLER main theme, beautiful! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

.....with a KILLER main theme, beautiful! punk

And you should know.....you sent me this CDR cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, the masses certainly agreed with you as Tombstone trounced Wyatt Earp at the box office.

Both 'Holliday's' performances were very good, it just comes down to opinion as to which is the better. I prefer Earp as a film, when it comes to films based on true stories Earp just had more reality and less Hollywood for me.

Neither film comes close in giving the complete picture of what was going on in the town of Tombstone or the events that took place afterward. This would be impossible unless it was some kind of TV miniseries. I prefer Tombstone because of the overall better acting, directing, and music. Plus, Costner just doesn't pull it off for me.

I wait for the day where there can be a film about the life of John H Holiday. What an amazing film that would be.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote

Kind of depends on your source there. Though it could be very true.
    Doc Holiday remains my favorite and one of the best men involved.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote

punk

Excellent...I'm not crazy when I say this cue is awesome. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Listening to Up too. What a fantastic addition to Giacchino's work.
    And Escape From Muntz Mountain is amazing. smile