• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In this thread, I will document the ongoing attempt to put my CD collection - dominated by soundtracks - in boxes. There's a couple of thousand of them or so, but I've never counted, to be honest. Part of this process will involve documenting what is going into the boxes, and digitising all cd's to 320 kbps mp3's. (Not perfect, I know, but I'd like to fit it all on a 1TB drive in the long term.)

The truth is, the ostentatious display of a couple of thousand soundtrack albums has become a bit irritating of late. Far too much of the book shelf is dominated by them, and far too much of my wardrobe by the cd's that are less displayable. There was always the problem - but what if I want to listen to score X? - but I play all music off my hard drives anyway.

So I initiated this project, to drastically reduce the amount of cd's at my ready access to about 400. The albums I truly love, or that have impeccable production values (e.g. Nonesuch records or ECM) or which have very long liner notes I'm likely to want to dip into... those can stay. Everything I might actually want to lend to someone to show them what sort of music I like - they can stay. Everything else - into the box(es). Every composer I love who has a dud album on my shelf - into the box. Every composer I'm not crazy about who has a bunch of albums on my shelf - whole careers go into the box. Anything I don't love. Into the box.

I'm now a month and a half in, and just under halfway through.

As I've gone through this process, I've been embarrassed by the number of CD's that I've purchased and never listened to. Truly a reminder of how much the fear of missing out has become part of the marketing of music for this genre. (Already I've been attacking this front in 2009 by spending my money on short filmmaking instead, and getting a car.)

So what went in last night? (I can only digitise about 15-20 / night.)

- Great Expectations (Peter Salem)
    - The Damned / For Those I Loved / A Season in Hell (Maurice Jarre)
    - Top Secret (Maurice Jarre)
    - Last Man Standing (Elmer Bernstein)
    - Hoodlum (Elmer Bernstein)
    - Ann of the Indies (Franz Waxman)
    - Deep Impact (James Horner)
    - Beyond Borders (James Horner)
    - The House of the Spirits (Hans Zimmer)
    - Trapped (various)
    - Honeydripper (various)
    - Nim's Island (Patrick Doyle)
    - Eragon (Patrick Doyle)
    - Gettysburg's (Edelman)
    - In a Savage Land (David Bridie)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    You selling the digitized ones?
    :looking for business opportunities: cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Or give them away to show goodwill towards humanity?
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    fommes wrote
    Or give them away to show goodwill towards humanity?
    smile

Well, it depends which ones he gives away. Giving someone Randy Edelman's Gettysburg is probably in breach of the Geneva Convention (or at least, it should be).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    You selling the digitized ones?
    :looking for business opportunities: cool

Depends if Michael has anything good wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. No plans to liquidate it yet. To be honest, the cost of storage will continue to fall in Gigabytes, and computers become ever faster at accessing files, so that it will be possible to re-digitise in a lossless format in a few years without having to buy too many hard drives.

I will probably after packing them all away do a cull of about 200 or so, but seriously, if I'm getting rid of it, there could be a good reason. wink
    (And yes, GETTYSBURG would be a likely candidate for such a cull.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked shocked Are you kidding? shocked shocked
    shocked shocked shocked shocked ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Getting rid of Gettysburg?
    What is WRONG with you?

Oh...I forgot.
    I'm talking to the Glass man. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I went into our local Borders this weekend and have begun to see the changeover taking place i.e. no more CD's. The soundtracks are already gone. Sad to see. Franz with the beginning of his process and Thor are proof positive at least for me. The quality level Franz has compromised on is more than adequate for headphones. Again with my nicer than average older stereo equipment you can easily hear the difference but how many of you own the original Klipsch corner speakers, Mac tube equipment and a tube CD Player, all of which contribute to superior sound quality. Probably very few. Even I will admit that if I'm doing something else the MP3 player quality is adequate. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a couple of thousand of them or so...

It is my dream to one day have that many soundtracks. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You'll probably have them on a hard drive as opposed to a CD
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    You'll probably have them on a hard drive as opposed to a CD

Good point. I only purchase CDs of the scores I am dying to get the case and liner notes for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To be honest I wish in many ways I'd never built up as many as I have. I remember with great fondness the days when I only had a few albums - and was intimately familiar with each. I'm now in the situation where if I listened to one soundtrack album a night it would take ten years to get through my collection (assuming I didn't listen to any of them more than once, and I don't buy any more). Since in practice I won't listen to as many as one a night, and I will listen to some a lot more than once, and I will certainly be buying more, I've probably got as many as 2,000 albums which I will never listen to again. Last time I had a cull, I just threw about 500 albums away that I couldn't remember listening to more than once - next time I'll probably increase that threshold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I just threw about 500 albums away that I couldn't remember listening to more than once

Threw
    away.

THREW AWAY.

Just trying to wrap my mind around that.

THREW.
    AWAY.

Good GOD. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    I just threw about 500 albums away that I couldn't remember listening to more than once

Threw
    away.

THREW AWAY.

THREW.
    AWAY.

Good GOD. slant

They were all rubbish. What's the point of keeping them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How's about...ermmm...just of the top of my head, something, like, say...OFFERING THEM TO YOUR DEARLY BELOVED FRIENDS HERE ON MAINTITLES????

Or even selling them?
    Crikey...at just a quid a piece you'd still have cleaned up. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Threw
    away.

THREW AWAY.

THREW.
    AWAY.

Good GOD. slant

They were all rubbish. What's the point of keeping them?

He has a point there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have a better one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which is....?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    How's about...ermmm...just of the top of my head, something, like, say...OFFERING THEM TO YOUR DEARLY BELOVED FRIENDS HERE ON MAINTITLES????

Or even selling them?
    Crikey...at just a quid a piece you'd still have cleaned up. slant

I wouldn't mind giving them away, but I return to my point that they were all rubbish - and frankly, to "give them away" I'd have to pay postage to send them to people, which was not high on my priority list.

I'd have loved to have sold them, but putting 500 things like James L Venable's "Iron Monkey" or Randy Edelman's "Gettysburg" on Ebay would surely end up costing me more than it retrieved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote

OMG! Couldn't you post a list here and ask if people wanted any of them? sad cry

Or you could have sold them off on ebay. If the effort of listing and selling them is too much, then there are some shops where you can drop off your stuff, and they'll sell your things on ebay and take a percentage of the proceeds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rubbish...he actually calls Gettysburg "rubbish". cry
    What magnificent marvels have been cast out amongst those 500?
    I would not be surprised to have seen Ben Hur in there. Or some Delerues. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I'd have loved to have sold them, but putting 500 things like James L Venable's "Iron Monkey" or Randy Edelman's "Gettysburg" on Ebay would surely end up costing me more than it retrieved.

James L Venable's "Iron Monkey" or Randy Edelman's "Gettysburg"......

OH MY GOD HE DEFINITELY HAS A POINT THERE! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and I would have gladly paid for postage as well. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

James L Venable's "Iron Monkey" or Randy Edelman's "Gettysburg"......

OH MY GOD HE DEFINITELY HAS A POINT THERE! vomit

I meant JAMES had a point;

on throwing them away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're weird.
    Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh; it didn't feel weird - at all, when i threw away 2 Tyler Bates' promos i got recently biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    ...and I would have gladly paid for postage as well. slant

For which title would you have gladly paid for postage? Iron Monkey or Gettysburg?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Rubbish...he actually calls Gettysburg "rubbish". cry
    What magnificent marvels have been cast out amongst those 500?
    I would not be surprised to have seen Ben Hur in there. Or some Delerues. sad

Sorry, I had forgotten that in your world Edelman would be considered in the same breath as Rozsa and Delerue; that there's every chance you would take Edelman's Ten Commandments to a desert island before you took Bernstein's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a couple of thousand of them or so...

It is my dream to one day have that many soundtracks. shocked

It'll happen one day and you'll wonder how the frig you got that many and how you ever afforded them in the first place.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt