• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Just out of interest D, what bastard monster alien movies don't you like?

I don't like it when monsters are involved. I usually giggle.

That's not what I asked. dizzy

I'm just curious to know which monster movies you dislike? There's silly monsters ala Lost In Space, or awesome monsters ala Alien.

Usually the first kind of monsters. But generally speaking, the 2nd kind would go in there too wink I like things being more psychological, supernatural and stuff, you know ghosts, evil stuff, zombies, but not monsters .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009 edited
    So you don't like Alien? confused

There are films that have 'monsters' but use them in a psychological way, i.e. Alien (which is why I'm unsure if you're saying you like or dislike Alien? I certainly find it hard to believe that you giggle at that particular monster!). And then there are films that use them in a genuinely fierce and fearful way, i.e. Aliens. If you could just give an example of what monsters in what movies you dislike, maybe I could get a clear idea of you mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Killing Fields - Mike Oldfield

Pran's Theme is absolutely heartbreaking. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Killing Fields - Mike Oldfield

Pran's Theme is absolutely heartbreaking. sad

I still need to see that movie. :/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

There are films that have 'monsters' but use them in a psychological way, i.e. Alien (which is why I'm unsure if you're saying you like or dislike Alien? I certainly find it hard to believe that you giggle at that particular monster!). And then there are films that use them in a genuinely fierce and fearful way, i.e. Aliens. If you could just give an example of what monsters in what movies you dislike, maybe I could get a clear idea of you mean?

I can't say i am wetting my pants over it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    While the Alien isn't the scariest monster I know (though its design is magnificently unhuman), I think the "need" for monsters is one (of many) by which we measure our humanity.
    From the dawn of time we huddle together against the dark and the teeth and claws that hide within it, and the howling, hungry sound that precedes them.

The monster allows us, at least, to fight to live, if only against a common foe.
    At best, it makes us know ourselves better in the way we approach it, see it, judge it.

What makes "monster films" generally silly, is that when we see the monster, it's always less horrible than we thought it would be (and consequenetly, at a low budget, even risibly so). And that's the point: the fear is not in the actual claw, the actual teeth.
    Those we fight.

It's the expectation of them.
    The wait, and the uncertainty, that it may come for us, and we are powerless to stop it.

A good monster film should never show its monster.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good points there. A good monster movie, for me, would be THE VILLAGE, to help you realize my point smile
  1. Or Alien for that matter, it shows the beast very rarely and mostly in the end, when Ripley actually fights it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Alien works very well for me...up to a point.
    I simply cannot get over those hyper-salivating teeth shots! What does the thing have in its esophagus? A firehose?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Or Alien for that matter, it shows the beast very rarely and mostly in the end, when Ripley actually fights it.

Alien, The Village, Jaws, Night Of The Demon. All very god examples of what I mean, indeed.
    Yet all still imperfect (the actual end shot of The Demon in Night Of The Demon is quite poor. Bruce (the shark in Jaws) stops being terrifying the moment he hits the deck, et cetera.

I don't think I've actually ever seen the (= my) perfect monster film.
    But I've seen a lot that are really excellent.

On a side note: obviously monster films can have a very different role as well: I love Godzilla films, but obviously not to challenge me emotionally in any way: I watch these as I would a catch match, rooting for the Big G. and booing whatever monster he beats up. That goes way more towards entertainment in the sense of a circus act or a sports event.
    And that, obviously, is fine as well, if that's what you like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Just out of interest D, what bastard monster alien movies don't you like?

I don't like it when monsters are involved. I usually giggle.

'giggle'????!

I really don't like you're attitude here D angry slant

Our ancestors continually had to do battle with monsters, the threat of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex was very real in caveman times, even a walk in the forest could end up with being got by a man-eating plant; even in your country Greece, what a rotten place that was 3000 years ago, full of Harpies, Gorgons and Bull-headed men.... brrrrr freezing

I recommend, no, DEMAND, that you watch films made from the true and accurate stories of our ancestors such as One Million Years B.C., When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth, Jason And The Argonauts and Clash of The Titans, films of great integrity that educate as well as entertain.

Man, I'd pay good pennies to see the stupid smirk whiped off your face when presented with the facts!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am talking THE MIST-like monster aliens and crap. Not dinos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I can't say i am wetting my pants over it smile

Fair enough. Still, I would never have thought that anyone could find HR Giger's Alien giggle-worthy! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars: Shadow Of The Empire Joel McNeely

Why this guy is scoring crappy straight-to-DVD Disney films is just beyond me. McNeely either needs a new agent or greater ambitions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Amen.
    AMEN!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    MERCENARIES 2: WORLD IN FLAMES - Chris Tilton

Forgot how good this one was. cool

But I still have difficulty on whether to place it above or below the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars: Shadow Of The Empire Joel McNeely

Why this guy is scoring crappy straight-to-DVD Disney films is just beyond me. McNeely either needs a new agent or greater ambitions.

Or it's all he is offered. Again, at least the man is still working and can create something as absolutely breathtaking as his score to Tinkerbell.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ^

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Regardless of what gigs he's got, McNeely is still writing fantastic music. The only problem with straight-to-DVD movies is that their scores aren't generally that good, so a releases aren't very likely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    My little sister left school early today with flu symptoms and was later confirmed by our doctor to have contracted SWINE influenza. Her school has had a few cases confirmed in the past few weeks though. So now we've all been advised to wear facemasks (!) and really boost our sanitary habits. As with the vast majority of cases, there is no cause for alarm whatsoever - she is a strong fit and healthy girl and is expected to recover within the next week or so. Poor thing.

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    HOME | armand amar

Overproduction is such a great track. It starts with suspicious and a driving beat, easing on the strings. But this takes over halfway when tension comes in and fast-paced and swirling strings and trumpets. So tense, building up and up, creating such a nervous and frightening piece. The images are unsettling too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    MERCENARIES 2: WORLD IN FLAMES - Chris Tilton

Forgot how good this one was. cool

But I still have difficulty on whether to place it above or below the first.

Just two words: "Jungle Brawl"
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    My little sister left school early today with flu symptoms and was later confirmed by our doctor to have contracted SWINE influenza. Her school has had a few cases confirmed in the past few weeks though. So now we've all been advised to wear facemasks (!) and really boost our sanitary habits. As with the vast majority of cases, there is no cause for alarm whatsoever - she is a strong fit and healthy girl and is expected to recover within the next week or so. Poor thing.

sad

Didn't you have flu recently? At any rate, keep as posted. I'm interested to hear what the effects really are rather just relying on media reports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Shit. I posted it in the wrong thread. I can't see with this fucking huge facemask.

Anyway, yeah, I'll keep posting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey. shocked
    This is my first direct contact!

(Well. Not DIRECT direct. But you know what I mean.)

Good luck, Lee!
    Stay well! (Now more than ever. smile )
  2. LSH wrote

sad

I don't think we have seen the last of this sad
    anyway, hope she recovers well and soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    check the sitewww.bmk.film.de kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

That's not how the URL tab works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    kokodezil wrote
    check the sitewww.bmk.film.de kiss

That's not how a link to YouTube work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    yeah i'm sorry guys!I'm not very good with computers?Love to u all,anyway kiss
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    How does it work actually? crazy confused