• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    Technically I have no doubt it is. But there are many other Goldsmith action scores I'd choose in a heartbeat over Total Recall. Unfortunately, I've never really reached the level of adoration for it as many on this forum have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    Star Trek: Insurrection. All the Rambo scores. Air Force One. Um... lot's of others that if I take anymore time to try and think of you'll think I was exaggerating about the heartbeat thing. (I should probably expand it by saying there are many other Goldsmith action scores I'd choose in a heartbeat over Total Recall had I instant memory recall... if you'll excuse the pun.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Extreme Prejudice? The Challenge?

I honestly don't those or any of the ones you mention ( except the three Rambo scores ) come close to Total Recall, but that is only my opinion. As we all ( most of us save for a few cretins ) know JG has done some fantastic action material even in his more subtle, gentler scores. ( Islands In The Stream comes to mind though sadly JG didn't include some of the best action material in his rerecording )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thing is, I'm not saying any of those examples are "better", they just happen to be ones I enjoy more. There's something about Total Recall that doesn't make me want to keep coming back to it. I have to be in a very specific mood. (The theme and of course 'The Mutant' are tracks that I return to often though, I have to admit.)

I think it's a fantastic score, but for the most part it's like a complex mathematical equation, brilliant in its intricacies, but lacking a overarching beauty.* That's much the same reaction I have with Total Recall. If I don't connect with a score on some personal level, no matter how brilliant it is, I probably won't listen to it that often.

*That's not a blanket-statement I hasten to add. There are many intricate mathematical equations with inherent beauty!
  1. Total Recall, except its wonderful complexity (some REALLY cool strings effects in particular, not to mention fast trumpets), also insane tempo it never waivers, has also a lot of fun factor. It doesn't have, admittedly, the emotional theme of Rambo and its pure anger (First Blood is simply a score with a lot of ATTITUDE and that attitude is RARELY heard in film music, I think even Williams hasn't achieved it in his "angry" tracks like Jango's Escape or even War of the Worlds), but has a lot of fun factor. The film is pure actioner with a lot of grotesque elements and that's what Jerry delivers here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Enter the Dragon-Lalo Schifrin
    Check out the main title punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I would, but you didn't provide a YouTube link. cry
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    just go to You Tube and type "Enter the Dragon"!As far as i'm concerned i'm not in touch with the You Tube guys anymore as they didn't send me the money they owe me for sending them all the Main Titles fans! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I would, but you didn't provide a YouTube link. cry

LOL biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Angels And Demons & The Dark KNight

Two scores to play at night while you are driving....But now, I'm not driving. dizzy

I love this mixture of Electronics, orchestra, melody and dissonance.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Then why are you playing? shocked angry
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Hey guys seriously,i' don't understand what u find so disturbing about You Tube????!!!!
    Of course the sound quality is not that good(if ever!)Where else can u find such a huge number of scores and share it with others?Are u going to send me yours CD's and vinyls thru mail(or e-mail)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Then why are you playing? shocked angry

Because I want to be driving...to Home!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    kokodezil wrote
    Hey guys seriously,i' don't understand what u find so disturbing about You Tube????!!!!
    Of course the sound quality is not that good(if ever!)Where else can u find such a huge number of scores and share it with others?Are u going to send me yours CD's and vinyls thru mail(or e-mail)?

No one finds it disturbing and many people here ( including myself ) have used youtube clips. Have you so soon forgotten the way you entered this forum?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    kokodezil wrote

No, but there's this thing called the internet whereby you can upload whatever you like in whatever quality you like. Kinda like YouTube, but not crap.

The only reason YouTube becomes "disturbing" is when you use it to listen to music in place of CDs and high quality MP3s. YouTube is good for reference listening. It's very simple kokodez... kokodeis.... kokodes... you.
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Steven wrote
    kokodezil wrote

No, but there's this thing called the internet whereby you can upload whatever you like in whatever quality you like. Kinda like YouTube, but not crap.

The only reason YouTube becomes "disturbing" is when you use it to listen to music in place of CDs and high quality MP3s. YouTube is good for reference listening. It's very simple kokodez... kokodeis.... kokodes... you.
    Thanks for all these niceties,my(young) lord!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're welcome old padawan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Total Recall, except its wonderful complexity (some REALLY cool strings effects in particular, not to mention fast trumpets), also insane tempo it never waivers, has also a lot of fun factor. It doesn't have, admittedly, the emotional theme of Rambo and its pure anger (First Blood is simply a score with a lot of ATTITUDE and that attitude is RARELY heard in film music, I think even Williams hasn't achieved it in his "angry" tracks like Jango's Escape or even War of the Worlds), but has a lot of fun factor. The film is pure actioner with a lot of grotesque elements and that's what Jerry delivers here.

I think Total Recall is probably Goldsmith's best pure action score, and the cool thing is that it's more than just an action score, with glorious tracks like "The Mutant" and whatever the final track is called.

But I think his single greatest action cue (and indeed the single greatest action cue in all of film music) is "Raisuli Attacks" in The Wind and the Lion. I was SO disappointed when I watched the film and saw what scene it accompanied. How he managed to come up with something so magnificent for that scene I'll never know. A touch of genius, I guess.
  2. "Holyman"
    Alan Silvestri

One of my favorite scores by him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I think my favourite Goldsmith pure action score would have to be CAPRICORN ONE. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    But I think his single greatest action cue (and indeed the single greatest action cue in all of film music) is "Raisuli Attacks" in The Wind and the Lion.

Indeed it is a mind-blower! I don't know how in the world the orchestra performed that one. That's one of those moment I wish there was a video camera in the room. Anyway, it one of my all time favorites too... but IMHO nothing beats "The Desert Chase" from Raiders.

NP: District 9 - Clinton Shorter

Uhm... nothing groundbreaking... sorry, I had to say it wink It's rather generic! African male vocals, lots of African percussion, heavy electronics, deep bass, very MV-ish. Can't say any of it is memorable. sad

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

But I think his single greatest action cue (and indeed the single greatest action cue in all of film music) is "Raisuli Attacks" in The Wind and the Lion.

Definitely one of the greatest. But I can't say I like the idea of calling it THE greatest action cue... there are just too many to choose from, and to choose one is -to me- and injustice to the other equally magnificent ones (like, for example, The Desert Chase). So, I certainly agree that it's a blowjob in film music form, but I can't commit to just the one track.

Also, wouldn't have been great if Giacchino had named one of his tracks from Ratatouille 'Desert Chase'? Anyone? No?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    but I can't commit to just the one track.

Ya big wimp!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hey, I'm scared of commitment! I'm a guy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Also, wouldn't have been great if Giacchino had named one of his tracks from Ratatouille 'Desert Chase'? Anyone? No?

Not very funny at all.
    "Dessert chase" on the other hand would have been hilarious!
    Damn, how DO I keep on coming up with them?
    You know, sometimes I amaze even myself!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait, no.... that's what I meant.
    Shut up.

Sonuva bitch stole my thunder. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're just jealous because I have this great gift for brilliant puns! :finger:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's true, I am jealous of your buns. If only mine weren't so half-baked, perhaps I could one day enjoy the fruits of my labour. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Your growing fascination with various parts of my anatomy is starting to get just a bit unsettling...