• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I just saw Avatar. I'll come back later, but not to say that I had no words to describe what I saw, or anything of that matter.

dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy

I don't know what to make of that...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009
    He didn't like it that much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    Imagine being a comedian and the audience was made up of 500 Bregt's freezing wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Hehehe lol He wasn't always like that though. Looza Ace changed him into a cynical Looza Lover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hey hey! angry
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Hey hey! angry

kiss biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    For anyone who´s even slightly interested in Pandora and the science behind the planet and its life, this is a nice place to start. If you´re more than slightly interested, there´s this book which explains it all.
  1. Holy Shit shocked at the second link. There's even a Na'vi - English dictionary... dizzy

Ah if I was slightly younger and more geeky I would've so happily read all of it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I just saw Avatar. I'll come back later, but not to say that I had no words to describe what I saw, or anything of that matter.

dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy dizzy

I don't know what to make of that...

Well. Verdict: Good film.

Yes, the effects are really cool, and it definitely sometimes freakinglishy real (the main characters mainly). The 3D is not a gimmick, and that's a plus, but sometimes I'd wish there would have been more effect from it. I didn't always experience it as a 3D movie. dizzy

But then the story. I didn't think it would bug me so much. How can you make such spectacle and then rush everything in the second half. And as BhelPuri mentioned, my ears were almost perforated at the end. The final battle is crazy. I also wasn't as captivated as some opinions above.

Top moments: the rides on the big birds. punk

Fine movie, I enjoyed my evening, but I will never understand what it makes one of the best films though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
  2. Okay Bregt, we can live with that. But the fact you don't understand the fuzz is because you don't idolize James Cameron, and must of us here do. The fact it's the biggest hyped movie of the past few years, and the fact he doesn't disappoint one bit means he did the impossible, still surprise everyone

JAMES CAMERON is a GOD punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Nautilus wrote
    16 milion on Monday!

http://boxofficemojo.com/forums/viewtop … dbcebd8ba9

AMAZING!

this movie is going to kick ass for the next couple of weeks smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Okay Bregt, we can live with that. But the fact you don't understand the fuzz is because you don't idolize James Cameron, and must of us here do. The fact it's the biggest hyped movie of the past few years, and the fact he doesn't disappoint one bit means he did the impossible, still surprise everyone

JAMES CAMERON is a GOD punk

I don't go as such and i always like to remain as unbiased as possible, plus i don't like everything he produced (one example is Titanic and True Lies) but indeed AVATAR is a film SO incredibly good at so many levels and whilst linked with the whole "3d cinema revolution" (if something like that's going to happen eventually), it's bound to mark its place in the cinematic history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think Cameron is a god nor do I particularly idolize him. But I certainly enjoy his movies! (And I'm sure I'll enjoy Avatar tomorrow.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, you will. It's a perfect movie in all aspects, to me. I am looking forward to your opinion!
  4. He made my all time most watched and most loved film... wherein he introduced my most loved baddie. Nuff said. punk

Counting the days to re-experience Avatar. beer You wanna go again Thomas? But try to watch it in 3D if at all possible. It's even more exhilarating.
    • CommentAuthorAD
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    I saw Avatar a few days ago in 3D and it was a nice experience nothing mind blowing or revoultionary mind you. The score was good. I smiled whenever i heard Horner's classic signatures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    AD wrote
    I saw Avatar a few days ago in 3D and it was a nice experience nothing mind blowing or revoultionary mind you. The score was good. I smiled whenever i heard Horner's classic signatures.

If AVATAR is not revolutionary, I don't know what is...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    AD wrote

If AVATAR is not revolutionary, I don't know what is...

I completely agree with you. I was buffled by that comment as well. It seems to be that some people are very hard to please these days, and unfair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    Well the main criticism that the movie gets is the story, which is so banal and cliched it supposedly splits viewers into two sides: those who don't mind that element and love the film for all that it is (visual masterpiece and enjoyable story of love and war) and those that do mind and think Avatar is a visual feast for the eyes but nothing more than that. Luckily I'm in the first department. beer
  5. Where is the revolution, for you, Thor?

It's a zeitgeist film -- it speaks to many of the big issues of our time, so it will have no problem finding an audience.

There has been an enormous breakthrough in performance capture since Lord of the Rings too. I haven't been watching closely, but I assume that's the real area in which this has stepped forward?

The 3D effects are an extension of falsifying perspective in 2D. If you couldn't give a 2D frame depth and perspective, this new technology could not help you. And it's not essential to this film anyway. Watching the film without glasses every now and then as it ran didn't kill it for me.

The thought did occur to me - 'it's revolutionary that a filmmaker with a decent budget at the moment would apply such solid technique in blocking action.' Cameron makes Jackson, Scott, Bay, Snyder and others look like amateurs when it comes to pure physical execution.

One thing is missing for me (apart from the presence of a solid dialogue script doctor), which is that the reality of experiences had through avatars is never questioned. That could have been the dramatic core of the film. It's not a James Cameron story at all, and would lace the escape from our culture with uncertainty. (It could do with a little uncertainty, and a bit more humour too, for that matter.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean it's a zeitgeist film? It wouldn't be the first film to circle on the morals, questions and mainstream ethics and topics of today which are in people's minds at the very era, would it? I mean, everybody does it in bigger or smaller scales. Cameron simply added his trademarked strong love story it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

The 3D effects are an extension of falsifying perspective in 2D. If you couldn't give a 2D frame depth and perspective, this new technology could not help you. And it's not essential to this film anyway. Watching the film without glasses every now and then as it ran didn't kill it for me.

The film was made for this technology, i'd imagine watching the film on standard home theater blu-ray or dvd or even standard 2d cinema, would make a huge difference, way more than shifting your 3d glasses to the side for a couple of seconds. The whole Pandora world and its overall depth was portrayed very good using 3D and it all added even more emphasis on the vastness and greatness of that world.
  6. I guess the intersection of ecological thinking, pantheism, New Agey stuff, vicarious experience as true experience, white man's guilt and post-colonial thinking into a major fantasy film is what I meant by it being a zeitgeist film. And I agree, it isn't the first to address any of these, but it's a particularly potent mixture of the ideas in a very appealing clothing for western audiences. (PRINCESS MONONOKE is one obvious antecedent.)

I'm not sure it reflects on the issues as well as it brings them up. It does after all present a situation where the Navi are only saved from the aliens *SPOILER* by the technology of the aliens. While the aliens must return to their dying world, a select few who were able to enter into the culture because of a vicarious experience made possible by enormous expenditure... these are are allowed to stay. But if vicariously participating in the culture was enough to change one's perspective, how is that fair? Don't other aliens deserve the chance to join in a better world? But avatar bodies could never be built for billions of humans, and their instruction in the local ecosystem would be infeasible. Jake Sully was lucky, all right. *END SPOILER*
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Where is the revolution, for you, Thor?

In the CGI, of course, and the seamlessness by which motion capture is integrated into the universe in a credible way.

Again, it's baffling to me that people keep criticizing the story so much (which is a bit conventional, yes, but hardly weak) and seeminly overlooking - willfully or unconsciously - the medium's capability to create these worlds in which we're totally immersed. To put it "on the edge", it's a bit like criticizing an Ingmar Bergman film for not having more explosions.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    Well, there were a lot of other Avatars too, but not everyone changed their point of view and joined the Navi people...just the 2 protagonists. It's evident that even if there was a chance for many, many more humans to dive into the Navi world via their avatars, still not everyone would 'see the truth' or change radically, as to swap sides and realize the harm they were bringing upon the new world.

Most of the humans kept sticking to their initial goals of deceiving and taking advantage of the Navi people, right from the beginning of the movie and throughout its whole duration. It was because of the different nature of the few and selected, that there could exist this very differentiation between them versus the general survival and taking advantage of natural resources of the planet - instincts the rest carried in their souls.

It's a essentially a big metaphor for what we've done to our earth ourselves, i don't see what's so illogical or cheesy about it...it's like our own story transferred into a wholly new dimension and world, but in core it always remains a very humane story, made by humans, for the humans.
  7. I agree with that.
    I can appreciate people want the whole package however. A lot of people go for story. The visceral/vicarious side matters more if you engage more with the art of film.
  8. There is one thing that really baffled me with the movie. And it's more than Michael's dialogue problems. Everything was great, but what bothered me was the character of Quaritch. He sometimes almost took me out of the movies. The story is very 1990s and suddenly we get a villain straight out of either a comic book or a 1980s movie (or early 1990s, I thought Die Hard). To me he was out of the convention, totally, even though the actor did a very good job.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i'd kid you (but with a dosage of seriousness too) that whoever went to the army for some time (I did 26 months), you would find graphic characters like him to be actually pretty realistic; sadly.
  9. It would be interesting for an audience to go watch PUBLIC ENEMIES after seeing AVATAR actually, since the actor who plays Quaritch (a slightly more eloquent stereotype of George Bush to me) turns out to be unexpected emotional heart of Michael Mann's film.