• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Everywhere is open except chemists and doctor's surgeries it seems.

Really? Here EVERYTHING closes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I was going to say that here everything is open and then I realised that next Friday is Good Friday for the Orthodox. Here stores are open for 1 to 9 on Good Friday.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really?
    Clearly Greeks are far more pragmatic than the north of Europe.

I approve.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012
    How a day can be classed as "good" when most of the shops are shut is beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Understand completely. I'm leaving on a trip from 4/15 to 4/23 and I'll need to figure out if I'll have enough for the trip.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    How a day can be classed as "good" when most of the shops are shut is beyond me.

You'd love San Diego because nothing was closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Holidays seem to have little or no meaning as far as shops observing.

TTom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote

You'd love San Diego because nothing was closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Holidays seem to have little or no meaning as far as shops observing.

TTom

James is living further North in Victorian England, down here in the South everything was still open.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Understand completely. I'm leaving on a trip from 4/15 to 4/23 and I'll need to figure out if I'll have enough for the trip.
    Tom

Where are you going Tom?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Tom

Where are you going Tom?

To Minneapolis to visit my father
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The San Diego baseball team has gotten off to an 0-3 start.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    Transfers got out today and guess what? I didn't get one for another year. So from September I'm going to start my 5th year in Sparti and frankly I've grown tired of going back and forth.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stavroula wrote
    Transfers got out today and guess what? I didn't get one for another year. So from September I'm going to start my 5th year in Sparti and frankly I've grown tired of going back and forth.

I'm not sure what 'transfers' means?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Let me explain. All teachers in Greece in the begining work away form their homes. As years go by you gather points and you go nearer to your home.That's for lack of a better english equivalent is called a transfer. It normally takes about 2 years to return home. I'm currently on my 4th year and come September on my 5th.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Let me explain. All teachers in Greece in the begining work away form their homes. As years go by you gather points and you go nearer to your home.That's for lack of a better english equivalent is called a transfer. It normally takes about 2 years to return home. I'm currently on my 4th year and come September on my 5th.

Ah, I think I understand. We don't have anything like that up here, so got me a bit baffled. So you're saying it's been 5 years and you STILL don't get to work close to where you live? Are you commuting to and from work every day, then? Or have you moved away from your hometown to work, but really want to return to your hometown?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm studying to become a teacher myself, and I'm curious about how things are done in other countries.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It's imposible to commune from Athens to Sparti. It's 255 kilometres. I have moved away from my hometown.
    What's your field of interest Thor? I didn't know you were studing to be a teacher. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stavroula wrote
    It's imposible to commune from Athens to Sparti. It's 255 kilometres. I have moved away from my hometown.
    What's your field of interest Thor? I didn't know you were studing to be a teacher. smile

It's the last resort after a couple of abandoned careers and the health issues. smile

I now aim to be a teacher in English and Media Studies at high school level (ages 16-18).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've eaten so much chocolate and chips today (and during the last week) that I'm sick and naseous. Stupid, self-inflicted 'comfort eating' pain.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No sympathy from me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No sympathy from me.

None warranted! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You are so funny sometimes. applause
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah I know, I just can't help i......... oh? You mean THOR??? No, he's just stoopid! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    silly
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    See!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Thor wrote
    It's the last resort after a couple of abandoned careers and the health issues. smile

I now aim to be a teacher in English and Media Studies at high school level (ages 16-18).

I'm curious how it will turn out Thor! smile

I will be studying again next year too. I'm now certified to teach to 11-15 year olds and I want to get a Master in life view education so that I can teach to 15-18 year olds as well. Hopefully it will allow me to teach philosophy too. We could exchange experiences of how to motivate these kids and how to get their attention to the subjects through their own interests.
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    Wow, that's great Bregje. Good luck with the studies! cheesy

Don't disappear from here though. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, good luck to you too, Bregje. It would be interesting if we both ended up teaching teens in our respective subjects. I go from adults (university students) to teens while you go from kids to teens.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Indeed, we meet in the middle! cheesy

It would be fun to teach motivated adolescents / adults, especially when the subject is chosen or voluntarily (?). On the other hand, people in groups always act like children. Just look at revolting groups in elderly homes...

What is really useful is when you have in your study now, a teacher that is not really that good. Because then you see what happens with the group and you learn the important lesson how to NOT do it.

Group dynamic is complicated and well... sometimes adults can be really childish too. What I'm trying to say: it will be very different when you teach a different age, but some things never change! But of course you know that, since you go from adults to teens. Teens can be even worse though...
    wink

We had a good laugh at a conference for live view teachers. Most of them teach in primary school, a few teach in secondary school like me, and a few did the master. We had a workshop where teachers could tell about what they found difficult in class and one said 'Well, when I want to start my lesson, it takes a long time before I have everyone's attention and we can start'. The other teachers, mostly primary school, smiled and made comments that they recognized the problem. The work shop leader said 'Ok, we will do a role play and you can try different ways of getting attention and start the lesson. How old are the children?' And she sais 'Eh... well, about 20 years old!'
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Indeed, we meet in the middle! cheesy

It would be fun to teach motivated adolescents / adults, especially when the subject is chosen or voluntarily (?). On the other hand, people in groups always act like children. Just look at revolting groups in elderly homes...

What is really useful is when you have in your study now, a teacher that is not really that good. Because then you see what happens with the group and you learn the important lesson how to NOT do it.

Group dynamic is complicated and well... sometimes adults can be really childish too. What I'm trying to say: it will be very different when you teach a different age, but some things never change! But of course you know that, since you go from adults to teens. Teens can be even worse though...
    wink

We had a good laugh at a conference for live view teachers. Most of them teach in primary school, a few teach in secondary school like me, and a few did the master. We had a workshop where teachers could tell about what they found difficult in class and one said 'Well, when I want to start my lesson, it takes a long time before I have everyone's attention and we can start'. The other teachers, mostly primary school, smiled and made comments that they recognized the problem. The work shop leader said 'Ok, we will do a role play and you can try different ways of getting attention and start the lesson. How old are the children?' And she sais 'Eh... well, about 20 years old!'

He, he....I've encountered the same thing in my studies now. Most of the pedagogy students already work in primary or secondary school (or upper secondary), so my experience from university level isn't all that relevant. But it's interesting to note that some of the same strategies can be applied to them as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I don't know what's going on with me but I have no energy whatsoever.
    I have spent most of easter weekend lying in bed, doing nothing.

Yesterday I couldn't fall asleep at night (not because not tired, but because my mind was milling, this only happens once every blue moon to me, luckily).

So all in all, I'm exteremely tired right now, and it's very very busy at work, I have a book presentation to attend tomorrow night and then there is a tango festival which will be extremely demanding physically from Friday evening to Sunday evening.

How do I get myself into these messes?

And how to survive them?

Any ideas?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    On the flipside, you obviously have a lot 'happening' in your life, Elin. That's a good thing too. Lots of content.
    I am extremely serious.