• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    :head against wall: coffee
    Duh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    beer <- coffee... and burnt hands
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010 edited
    Pet peeve time.

I find it spectacularly annoying when there's a best- or favourite score thread on a film score board and sooner or later there's always some doofus exclaiming "I can't believe no one has mentioned X yet!", X being some score this particular doofus likes. This is annoying for several reasons:

1.First of all, how can it be difficult to believe something that is blatantly obvious? You can easily search through the thread and clearly see that the score in question is not there. It's like looking at the sky and exclaiming "I can't believe the sky is blue!". I know this phrase shouldn't be taken literally, and is meant as an utterance of surprise, but it still irks me.
    2.My second problem is that this person seem blissfully unaware that there are about 100.000 film scores in the world, many of them with impressive music. That he seemingly expects that his favourite score should be mentioned within a few posts is unrealistic to put it mildly.
    3.Thirdly, it's annoying when people assume that their personal taste should be shared by everyone. "This is my favourite score, so it's unfathomable that it isn't mentioned immediately in a thread about favourite scores". Argh!

Please stop doing this.

Another pet peeve of mine is the popular usage of the term "overrated". It basically means that some highly praised score doesn't deserve the praise it gets. Basically what people are saying when they use that term is "I don't care much about this score, so all those people who do, are wrong". I know people like to use the term because it sounds objective, as if there's real weight behind it, but it's nothing more than a personal grievance about not liking a popular score.

Peter crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this problem yet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    3.Thirdly, it's annoying when people assume that their personal taste should be shared by everyone. "This is my favourite score, so it's unfathomable that it isn't mentioned immediately in a thread about favourite scores". Argh!

I share your frustration in this. Also when certain people take it as personal insults when other people don't like the same stuff they do - the no. 1 disease at FSM.

Another pet peeve of mine is the popular usage of the term "overrated". It basically means that some highly praised score doesn't deserve the praise it gets. Basically what people are saying when they use that term is "I don't care much about this score, so all those people who do, are wrong". I know people like to use the term because it sounds objective, as if there's real weight behind it, but it's nothing more than a personal grievance about not liking a popular score.

Peter crazy

If I understood you correctly, I agree. How a score is rated in a given forum is a relatively objective (or perceivable) fact. For example that many people like Jerry Goldsmith at the FSM board. Or Michael Giacchino here. Then the next step is using your own evaluation in relation to that. If you can't understand the appeal, you can rate it overrated. It's all subjective.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    keky wrote

That's probably because as a problem it's rather overrated.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Overrating is overrated dizzy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hate those two things too, Peter.

"You're all stupid for not mentioning this amazing score yet. You call yourselves score fans!? I'm awesome because I mentioned it first. Pricks."

And 'overrated' is a synonym for 'I don't like the praise this particular score gets, so I'm going to belittle everyone's opinion by calling it overrated.'

crazy

But I do love complaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But I do so like to impose my opinion. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote

Martijn wrote
    That's probably because as a problem it's rather overrated.

Marselus wrote
    Overrating is overrated dizzy

lol

Thor wrote
    I share your frustration in this. Also when certain people take it as personal insults when other people don't like the same stuff they do - the no. 1 disease at FSM.

Very true. I must admit I sometimes harbour those feelings too. But I realize that they are irrational, and I therefore choose not to act on them.

Thor wrote
    If I understood you correctly, I agree. How a score is rated in a given forum is a relatively objective (or perceivable) fact. For example that many people like Jerry Goldsmith at the FSM board. Or Michael Giacchino here. Then the next step is using your own evaluation in relation to that. If you can't understand the appeal, you can rate it overrated. It's all subjective.

You're right that one can have an objective measure of how highly rated something is, and make objective comparisons of the various subjective ratings. There's no problem in declaring that "others rate this higher than me". But does this mean that you're the one who underrate it? Do they overrate it? Or is there no way to tell, as it's practically impossible to objectively rate art? As soon as you state that something is overrated, you're asserting that you are the one with the true, objective rating, and the others who rate it higher than you, must therefore be rating it too highly. It's this egocentric view that gets to me.

I guess my general pet peeve is people's inability to distinguish between their subjective evaluation and objective reality.

Steven wrote
    And 'overrated' is a synonym for 'I don't like the praise this particular score gets, so I'm going to belittle everyone's opinion by calling it overrated.'

Excellent way to put it. beer

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Fleas?

Halellujah! rolleyes punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's obvious that you are ALL overrated except for Alan who understood pretty quickly.

I shall now await the time I get burnt to death
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer killed three cats more than me, and nobody even notices or punishes!

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You think that's funny? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm shocked nobody mentioned James Horner yet!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FICTION.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    These things you mention above can't be objective, at least not to that desired level one would want.

As for mentioning something is overrated, yeah, there's 2 ways to put it; one justified, clever and gently and one which simply aims to make others furious, tease them by trolling etc. This apart, it doesn't mean that someone should forcefully share other's enthusiasm about a score if he doesn't really feel so, just because others go bananas over it. If he / she has arguments on his / her disagreement and as long as they're brought alone in respectful manners, i don't see why one should be annoyed or even insulted by this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    PC issues!

My computer returned from repair a few days ago, but the fan problem is actually WORSE now than I when I sent it off! I've booked another send-in, but it's really a hazzle. Annoying.

Also, the new Opera browser can't seem to get its head around video files on the net. It's impossible to play youtube videos - it only tells me to "go update", but when I do (update the flash player, that is), that still doesn't do anything. Also, other sites (like web TV on NRK, our national channel) tell me that some "program accesories are missing!" Damnit, will it never end.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    I'm actually pretty comfortable with IE8 and Windows 7. The one thing I've not figured out is taking a downloaded file and putting it on flash memory or mp3. It seems to lose the play all capability. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and need to go to my Inside Out book.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The other annoyance is a sty. Not much can be done except to not touch it and let it heal.
    Thomas
  1. Thor wrote
    Also, the new Opera browser can't seem to get its head around video files on the net. It's impossible to play youtube videos - it only tells me to "go update", but when I do (update the flash player, that is), that still doesn't do anything. Also, other sites (like web TV on NRK, our national channel) tell me that some "program accesories are missing!" Damnit, will it never end.

I had that same problem with Opera a few weeks ago. After I updated the browser to the newest version (at the time) that seemed to have fixed it. Though my son mentioned yesterday that YouTube was behaving funnily again. I think that the version I have at the moment is Opera 10.51.

I think that this issue is browser related and not PC related.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I had that same problem with Opera a few weeks ago. After I updated the browser to the newest version (at the time) that seemed to have fixed it. Though my son mentioned yesterday that YouTube was behaving funnily again. I think that the version I have at the moment is Opera 10.51.

Yup, I have that version too. Just updated it a few days ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

Here's some Opera Forum discussion on the issue:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to … ?id=521491

I don't have access to my PC at the moment so can't see if there's any suggestions on how to fix the issue.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't have access to my PC at the moment so can't see if there's any suggestions on how to fix the issue.

Thanks. The only thing I could really gather from that thread was that Opera is currently working on the issue, so it will hopefully be resolved soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Is Opera that great that it is worth the hassles?
    Thomas
  3. sdtom wrote
    Is Opera that great that it is worth the hassles?
    Thomas

It's more of an inconvenience in that it's not really very important - if you only view videos infrequently. Opera are on it and will update it when ready.

Opera as a browser is one of the best alternatives to IE (and Firefox) but it doesn't have the plug-ins that something like Firefox has (so if can't get too bloated?) I've been using Chrome for day-to-day browsing. I just updated it yesterday so I'm wondering if there's been any improvements or whether it's just an update to fix some bugs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I guess I'm a creature of habit. If the IE8 works for me I don't fix it.
    Thomas
  4. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Thanks. The only thing I could really gather from that thread was that Opera is currently working on the issue, so it will hopefully be resolved soon.

I can view videos in YouTube. I'm using Opera 10.51 build 3315.

Any luck, Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I can view videos in YouTube. I'm using Opera 10.51 build 3315.

Any luck, Thor?

Well yeah, but it's on and off. Some videos work, others don't.
    I am extremely serious.