• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    Indeed, but many which aren't as "hot" are working less and less these days for the sake of the Shias, Blooms, Megan Foxes, Albas etc. And i still haven't understood after all these years how come Tom Cruise ever became a successful actor - and even worse, still working one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it a case of you not liking Cruise? His acting?

I can see why he's still in the industry, he always gives 100% of himself and he's a darn fine actor whitchever way you cut it, I can't stand the scientology bullshit but I won't let that cloud my judgement on his abilities.

As for those others you mention, well, I just don't get it either? LaBouf has no charisma whatsoever, Bloom can't act his way out of a bag of cheese puffs, and Fox and Alba will soon disappear as soon as the new 'hot young thing' gets "discovered".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    And aren't as good as those you mention. Short-lived, hyped success, fast food consumption until the next start pops along.

There's a higher turnover but there's still many working actors with longevity, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, George Clooney etc. Female actors have rarely enjoyed the same as their male counterparts, once their looks start to fade you barely see them in any A-list films anymore, just look at Michelle Ffeifer ( or however ya spell it? ), Sharon Stone, kim Basinger et al, it's a shame but that's a male dominated Hollywood for you.

Depp was a paparazzi start when he was young, because he was highly controversial due to his craziness, drugs, the fact that River Phoenix's corpse was found in the club he owned... His relationship with Kate Moss...

He calmed down after getting on with Vanessa Paradis, now the celeb sites post him rather as an example of a great celebrity - appearing as Jack Sparrow in a school, where a fan wanted him to lead a mutiny, helping wake up a comatose girl, sending a fedora to a kid who asked for it, eating in public restaurants during shooting, explaining it that if not for his fans, he wouldn't have a job, things like that.

Clooney made some controversy with his inability to sustain a steady relationship, Pitt became very popular as the boyfriend of ANgelina Jolie. Cruise has the scientology part and there is a rumor that his marriage with Katie Holmes is a contract where she is getting *paid* for a child she has with him. Hanks doesn't have any issues with paparazzi and in general he is regarded as a class act.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, but many which aren't as "hot" are working less and less these days for the sake of the Shias, Blooms, Megan Foxes, Albas etc. And i still haven't understood after all these years how come Tom Cruise ever became a successful actor - and even worse, still working one.

Alba's off the interest as well. She is liked, because she publicly stated that bringing up a child is more important than her career.

Megan Fox is quite a character, especially after talking about her lesbian experiences (the new fashion in Hollywood, want to make a career? Say you fucked a girl) and later admitting along the lines of "don't listen to me, I think I'm schizophrenic".
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Pawel, you know way too much about celebrities.

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I can see why he's still in the industry, he always gives 100% of himself and he's a darn fine actor whitchever way you cut it, I can't stand the scientology bullshit but I won't let that cloud my judgement on his abilities.

I'm the same. That guy scares me. But in movies, he's always very likable, and he always does his job perfectly.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never been a fan of Cruise
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me neither Tom but I can appreciate him in certain roles and as I said, the man never gives less than 100%.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i guess the roles he has done have been films I'm not keen on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Sparky

Doesn't matter what food I put down for him, it's not good enough crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
    This isn't annoying me, but I couldn't think where else to put it.

This morning there was a feature about Back to the Future on the breakfast show I was watching, since it's the 25th anniversary. Much to my surprise, the presenter said "When you mention Back to the Future to anyone, one of the first things they think about is the music." Now, THAT was unexpected. "And coming up, we'll be talking to the man responsible for that music." That got me intrigued... Alan Silvestri appearing on a UK tv breakfast show? Then they cut to the interview... with Huey Lewis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    The street parking where I live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Southall wrote

This morning there was a feature about Back to the Future on the breakfast show I was watching, since it's the 25th anniversary. Much to my surprise, the presenter said "When you mention Back to the Future to anyone, one of the first things they think about is the music." Now, THAT was unexpected. "And coming up, we'll be talking to the man responsible for that music." That got me intrigued... Alan Silvestri appearing on a UK tv breakfast show? Then they cut to the interview... with Huey Lewis.

Argh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010
    Southall wrote

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lost a tooth today. I'm being prepared for a new flexible bridge
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This morning my mouth is really sore from my jaw muscles to my ear hurting. It broke into 5 pieces when the dentist attempted to pull on it. Well at least the bleeding has stopped although there are 4 stitches. Glad it is done.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ouch, sorry to hear that, Tom. It can't be fun losing one's teeth, something that never grows back. Thankfully, technology is so advanced today that you can find excellent substitues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010 edited
    I've got a friggin' pneumonia, that's what's annoying me currently!! Where's the nurse?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    not good. hope you feel better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ouch Thor, that is bad! I hope it's not from last weekend?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Ouch Thor, that is bad! I hope it's not from last weekend?

I'm afraid it is. Not only because of little sleep and lots of alcohol, but mostly because I walked around in rain-soaked shoes for three days (I didn't bring extra shoes, stupid me!). That's not the best idea for a body that was already beginning to get a bit sick before the trip!

At least I'm glad it didn't "blossom" WHILE I was there. That would have been far worse.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Poor Thor! I hope you get better soon! Will it make you feel better If I told you you are not alone? My asthmatic bronchitis came back but lighter this time thankfully! Off to the doctor's first thing Monday morning.

sdtom wrote
    This morning my mouth is really sore from my jaw muscles to my ear hurting. It broke into 5 pieces when the dentist attempted to pull on it. Well at least the bleeding has stopped although there are 4 stitches. Glad it is done.
    thomas

I hope you are better now Tom and you are not in so much pain.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The pain isn't so bad today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    *sends healing telepathic thoughts to Tom and Thor

Not that I believe in that sorta thing. But it's worth a try.
    Peter bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's currently annoying me that I have an important biology essay for monday at noon. Been procrastinating too much, so now I have to do amazing amounts of work in a few days. The only way I can currently stay sane with all this work is to look at maintitles from time to time.

I've been up since yesterday morning, and I'll probably have to stay up to monday at noon, which will be 72 hours straight! shocked

Btw, if anyone perchance has access to an online biology database with full text articles (Miya?) I could use some help. Every time I've found a promising paper via Google and Google Scholar, the bastards want me to pay for it.

Currently looking for:
    "A general evolutionary principle underlying the origin of developmental homeostasis." (Berg 1959)
    "The ecological significance of correlation pleiades" (Berg 1960)

Peter *back to wor... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Hang on the Peter! I remember doing this when I did my postgraduate course while working. Sleep for a couple of hours it will clear your head! Sorry I can't help with biology! If it were literature I would be more of use.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. I see that basically every science uses the new reference style (Author year: page), at my faculty, except newer linguistic paper we use the older footnote style:

Author, Title, Place Year, page, e.g.

St. Augustine, Confessions, Warsaw 1959, p. 13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    When I wrote my literature papers 4 years ago we used the older footnote style too Pawel. smile
  4. One of things I love about being an academic is...

writing footnotes.

Yes, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    Hang on the Peter! I remember doing this when I did my postgraduate course while working. Sleep for a couple of hours it will clear your head! Sorry I can't help with biology! If it were literature I would be more of use.

Thanks Stavi! That made me feel invigorated (despite the circumstances).

I'm worried though if I try to take a couple of hours sleep I'll sleep through the alarm and will wake up and find out it's thursday.

That said, I've never been up 72 hours straight before, so I kind of like the thought. I'll brag about it to everyone I know of course.

When do you think the first hallucinations will appear?

PawelStroinski wrote
    I see that basically every science uses the new reference style (Author year: page), at my faculty, except newer linguistic paper we use the older footnote style:

Author, Title, Place Year, page, e.g.

St. Augustine, Confessions, Warsaw 1959, p. 13.

Well, I didn't write them as I should. Normally the (author year) thing is just for quick references within a paper. In the References list in the back of a paper, they do them pretty much the way you did. I guess science people just put all the references in the back, while litterature people but footnotes.

Peter smile

PS. And I'm also playing invigorating music: Richard Stone - Sundown - "Overture and Shane's ride" punk