• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Hang on the Peter! I remember doing this when I did my postgraduate course while working. Sleep for a couple of hours it will clear your head! Sorry I can't help with biology! If it were literature I would be more of use.

Thanks Stavi! That made me feel invigorated (despite the circumstances).

I'm worried though if I try to take a couple of hours sleep I'll sleep through the alarm and will wake up and find out it's thursday.

That said, I've never been up 72 hours straight before, so I kind of like the thought. I'll brag about it to everyone I know of course.

When do you think the first hallucinations will appear?

If I remember correctly after two and a half days working on an essays on Yeats's "Rose"poems I was under the impression I could hear him reading. And once more when I wrote a paper entitled "In search of Aragorn as a Romantic Hero" using Fry's theories, 2 days straight again, I was Aragorn and mind you he was not like Viggo Mortensen! But I got two straight 10s so it was worth it! smile
    I couldn't of course keep my eyes open for 2 days after that but sometimes you can't do otherwise.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    *sends healing telepathic thoughts to Tom and Thor

Not that I believe in that sorta thing. But it's worth a try.
    Peter bhangra

I went to urgent care this morning and they re-stitched my mouth. That seems to have stopped the bleeding.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the good vibes, Peter! smile

PawelStroinski wrote
    One of things I love about being an academic is...

writing footnotes.

Yes, really.

Interesting.

I actually hate footnotes and avoided them like a plague in my own work. I feel it disrupts the reading experience. I rather do the alternative (author year: page) reference in the text and the references at the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010
    Stavroula wrote
    If I remember correctly after two and a half days working on an essays on Yeats's "Rose"poems I was under the impression I could hear him reading. And once more when I wrote a paper entitled "In search of Aragorn as a Romantic Hero" using Fry's theories, 2 days straight again, I was Aragorn and mind you he was not like Viggo Mortensen! But I got two straight 10s so it was worth it! smile

Haha! Hope you didn't sign your paper "Aragorn"! Well done with the grades. punk

Speaking of which, my hallucinations has begun just this last hour. Nothing as fanciful as you, I just keep seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye, and when I turn to see, nothing's there. I'm guessing the next stage is when I turn to see and something is actually there. I'm hoping to see the twins from "The shining" babybaby. I'm currently a stage 1 hallucinator. Will inform people when I enter stage 2. If my writing is incoherent at the time, I might have skipped stage 2 and jumped directly to stage 3.

Stavroula wrote
    I couldn't of course keep my eyes open for 2 days after that but sometimes you can't do otherwise.

Hehe.

That reminds me that the exam is on friday, so I'll hardly get any time for my well-deserved sleep. slant

sdtom wrote
    I went to urgent care this morning and they re-stitched my mouth. That seems to have stopped the bleeding.

Sounds awful. sad I mean I'm glad it's going better and healing up, but what a nightmare you've been through.

In any case, it might be wise to get a new dentist. I know they're notorious for their sadism, but pulling people's crania apart seems a bit much.

Thor wrote
    Thanks for the good vibes, Peter! smile

Hehe. Better flaunt them while I still can. wink

Thor wrote
    I actually hate footnotes and avoided them like a plague in my own work. I feel it disrupts the reading experience. I rather do the alternative (author year: page) reference in the text and the references at the end.

Hear hear! I always find footnotes extremely tedious to get through, and when I've read them I can never remember where on the page I was. It's like trying to watch a movie, only to have it interrupted by commercials.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My plants are moving like animals. It's quite odd.

Peter dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Peter how are you doing?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Footnotes are fun; you get the illusion you're writing important stuff wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    Peter how are you doing?

I'm.....*cough *cough....

I'm great!! wave Thanks for asking!

Super tired of course, and I swear that my couch is breathing, but I'm glad I've gotten alot done. Unfortunately I still have about 23 hours more work to do, so I won't be able to sleep for another 24 hours. slant

Peter smile
  1. Hang in there!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hang in there!

Thanks Alan! Approaching 60 hours now. My brain sees movement everywhere. Everthing looks alive. It's very strange.

Peter dizzy
  2. And don't overdo it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And don't overdo it.

Too late. smile Alas I have to get this thing done for tomorrow. After that I'll get the best sleep ever.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Footnotes are fun; you get the illusion you're writing important stuff wink

The more footnotes, the more important your article seems. At least you can pride yourself for doing so much research, and blame others if the content isn't right.
  3. But it does hamper your own originality as a researcher, this is quite an issue.

Right now, on my Ph. D. I am working on what in Polish called the "state of research", which is nothing more than checking out and noting what was written on the subject before me (all research papers I can find about the poet I am working on) and the philosophical background of the work. I am making lots of footnotes. I ended up having... about 50 from *one* book.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But it does hamper your own originality as a researcher, this is quite an issue.

Right now, on my Ph. D. I am working on what in Polish called the "state of research", which is nothing more than checking out and noting what was written on the subject before me (all research papers I can find about the poet I am working on) and the philosophical background of the work. I am making lots of footnotes. I ended up having... about 50 from *one* book.

Ouch.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. This is not a chapter for the thesis yet, it's just reading and making notes. I am making footnotes, so I know what and why I quote.

The book is by an annoying researcher from the end of the 19th Century (dealing with Baroque literature has this advantage that you happen to read analyses from, for example 1898, this particular researcher simply has style that does not connect with me).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This was not my regular dentist but an oral surgeon. I'm glad it is over with.
  5. And just before your birthday as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The worst is over. Being fitted for the flexible bridge will be easy.
  6. Don't you just hate online customer service?

Bought an album to download off Amazon. First track fails to download, the others download fine. Contact CS and they reply that they've reset access to the missing track and told me to try again (this was after me trying numerous times before when it initially failed to download). And they also give me a list of generic suggestions for me to change my browser settings to stop any problems from occurring.

Obviously I bounced that back to them highlighting the need for them to get their finger out and actually looking into the problem instead of just sending me a generic "here have another go and make sure you're doing it properly."

Thanks, everyone for reading this. I feel a lot better.

NP: Futureworld - Fred Karlin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it's hopeless dealing with CS for big online corporations like Amazon, Paypal, ebay, facebook, you name it. Just to get THROUGH the generic replies and getting someone to follow up your requests specifically.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    @plindboe - I looked up your papers, haven't been able to find the originals but here's a write-up on the evolution of developmental homeostasis that you may find helpful - http://biology.ucsd.edu/labs/markow/art … stasis.pdf

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My exams have been announced about five months earlier than I expected and my preparation is near zero. I guess the slogfest begins for me, lest I bomb my anatomy paper. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    It seems I survived my 72 hours of not sleeping. Was a rather interesting experience, as things were always moving no matter where I looked, and even my perception of colour changed. My arms looked extremely suntanned for example. They're back to their usual milkish paleness now *sigh*. Most interesting is how the brain tends to jump to conclusions, by filling in expectations when it can't explain something. Since there was constant movement in my field of vision my brain was trying to make sense of it, for instance when I looked at my fish tanks with the lights off, I saw big hallucinatory fish swimming around. Most of the time it assumed that small movements in the air were bugs of various kinds. If I looked at water lying on a table or something, my brain concluded that since it's moving it most be boiling, so I saw it evaporating. It's a nice insight into how the brain works.

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get any complex and convincing hallucinations though, like a ghost or Elvis or a religious experience or something. But it was fun. Not something I'll want to do again though, as I'm sure it's rather unhealthy.

DemonStar wrote
    @plindboe - I looked up your papers, haven't been able to find the originals but here's a write-up on the evolution of developmental homeostasis that you may find helpful - http://biology.ucsd.edu/labs/markow/art … stasis.pdf

smile

Thanks alot for the effort, Ravi. beer

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    72 hours of not sleeping? Voluntarily?? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    72 hours of not sleeping? Voluntarily?? shocked

biggrin

Well, more or less voluntarily. Had to write an important essay, and since I had procrastinated in the start of the writing period I suddenly got a ridiculously amount of work to do in a few days. I'm very poor at planning ahead and organizing, so that's why this stuff sometimes happen to me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahah loved the way you described the experience!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What's annoying me currently are programs that want me to update them. They're constantly coming with pop ups telling me to update. Windows does this. Adobe pops up as well. Firefox does this. And something called Framework assistant, which I don't even know what is. Java does this as well. And every time I open Winamp it asks me to update. I don't even know what this Java program does. I don't care about it, and yet it constantly bugs me and demands my attention. I need the Adobe thing to see pdf files, but other than that, I don't care if it's fancy, with all the latest advanced updates, just leave me the hell alone! That's all I ever want from programs that they should do their job, but otherwise don't bother bother me. Why are they so desperate for my attention? My computer is basically one big Tamagotchi.

And of course after running this latest Adobe update, some weird popup called "Adobe download manager" or something like that pops up from time to time to install more update stuff and I have to close it. Which brings me to the next point and that is that I've never once in my life noticed anything positive from updating a program. 99% of the time nothing noticable happens, and the remaining 1% of the time the update just fucks things up instead, making the program unstable, crashing or becoming even more buggy.

Adding up the time I've spent on updating programs in my life, it would probably amount to about a month. I bet when I'm lying on my deathbed one day, I'd give anything to get that month back.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    How long did you sleep when you finally went to bed, plindboe?
    I am extremely serious.