• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Because, at least as my friend told me, there is no other ID except a passport in the UK.

I'm in trouble! My passport expired in October.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because, at least as my friend told me, there is no other ID except a passport in the UK. My friend had that problem, because he was going to Germany and his passport was only valid until February (now hopefully he's on his way back to Heathrow or preferrably back home).

There's also driving licence. They're generally the only photo IDs people have (though any "official" item which shows a photograph is fine, so things like student cards are fine - of course, I don't have one of those!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What's the difference between an ID card, like I have, and a passport?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At one point a few years ago National ID Cards were announced for the UK, but there was a massive public outcry, which I never really understood, and the plan was shelved. Maybe one of the other UK members could chime in?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010
    Bregt wrote

Dunno? Doubt your ID card will grant you entry in other countries though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    At one point a few years ago National ID Cards were announced for the UK, but there was a massive public outcry, which I never really understood, and the plan was shelved. Maybe one of the other UK members could chime in?

People here didn't like the Big Brother aspect of it from what I remember.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Dunno? Doubt your ID card will grant you entry in other countries though.

When it comes to European Union, member countries are allowed to travel with the ID card only. A passport is demanded overseas or in general anywhere you need a visa.

Also, though it may not be true. I've read somewhere or heard that a passport actually makes things easier provided you needed health care. Anyway, in EU, there is not much difference anyway. Not sure about the health care point though (there is still an European Health Insurance Card!).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, it's pretty easy and convenient in the rest of the E.U where you can travel and practically do everything with just your id card.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know that ( well, we in the UK don't have them ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Sorry to hear about all the misfortunes since the last time I was here - especially Elin for the theft, Tim for the twisted leg and James for the will situation. Warmest wishes to all of you! kiss
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Good to see you got home Thor, Black Pudding for X-mas dinner would be insufferable wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    I went down to the laundry room this fine Xmas morning 10 minutes after it opened figuring I would have the place to myself. I wanted to launder a festive red shirt for later this morning when I headed out to my daughter's for Xmas. Wrong wrong wrong!!! All machines (7) were already in use and a man was waiting to use several more. Well, I'll just wear something else.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    I was also awakened at 7 AM by the sound of cutting of cinder blocks from next door. Guess they must be one heck of a schedule to be working today or does this day just mean nothing to people anymore? It is no surprise that about 30% of the retail stores are open for business today. One pharmacy, Rite Aid, has there strongest day today as far as sales are concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    Still trying to nail down this stereo question
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010
    Just landed back in The Netherlands for a pit stop....and found I only got one Christmas greeting. sad

Apparently I am unloved.
    cry

(or I am SO incredibly loved that everybody just assumed I'd be deluged by electronic and real life cards and decided to spare me a bit. Yeah. That's gotta be it.
    Now where's that Christmas rum?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still working on the stereo issue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Just landed back in The Netherlands for a pit stop....and found I only got one Christmas greeting. sad

Apparently I am unloved.
    cry

(or I am SO incredibly loved that everybody just assumed I'd be deluged by electronic and real life cards and decided to spare me a bit. Yeah. That's gotta be it.

If by Christmas greeting you mean Christmas postcards, I can comfort you by the fact that I've never received a single one of those in my life!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    *sob* *blubber* Not even a digital one?
    *snrf*
    You're not just trying to make me feel better?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm trying to get a refund from the State of Minnesota of 15% renter credit.
  3. Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Apparently I am unloved.
    cry

If by Christmas greeting you mean Christmas postcards, I can comfort you by the fact that I've never received a single one of those in my life!

I'm so sorry for you guys.

I always get a bunch, but that's partly because the first of January is my birthday, so I get Christmascards annex birthday cards.

Although I have to give a big shout out to Maxime (Rian) and Patty who sent me two cards this year: one Christmas card and one birthday card.

Well Thor, you are definitely getting one this year. I haven't closed the enveloppe yet with your WSA DVD's in them. I'll add a Christmas card, just for you and put it in the mailbox tomorrow.

Martijn, if you really need one too, just PM me your address. I'm on a roll now, I can just as well keep sending cards to the people I love.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're a sweetheart, Elin. smile
    kiss
  4. It takes one to know one, Martijn...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Do you send out cards though, Martijn?

I only got a single card as well, from my mom. But that's because I've never really been into the whole Christmas card thingy. I'm starting it up this years though where I sent some cards to some of my favourite people. I've spoken with some on the phone since and they got really happy about it, so it's a tradition I'll start doing, and hopefully some future Christmas I'll receive more than a single card.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cards are so 90's
  5. I'm not into the whole card sending / receiving business, but that's fine with me. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me too. But i have to bash it somehow because i never receive any cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Me too. But i have to bash it somehow because i never receive any cry

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, i am part of the sms generation i am afraid my friend smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Do you send out cards though, Martijn?

<indignant huff> Certainly did!
    And have done so each year (although for the last six, seven years or so, the digital version has replaced the old paper one. One has to get with the times, hasn't one?)

This year was a bit of a fukkup, as I didn't take an up-to-date mailing list with me while I was off, so consequently some people were left out of the loop (including some of the good people on this forum...my apologies! sad ).

But all in all I think I sent out about 50....as I do each year.
    So yeah, I'm a little disappointed.

Won't stop me next year though, although I'm brooding on a slightly darker themed one.
    Tyrannosaurs and aliens spring to mind.
    With little Father Christmas hats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Well Thor, you are definitely getting one this year. I haven't closed the enveloppe yet with your WSA DVD's in them. I'll add a Christmas card, just for you and put it in the mailbox tomorrow.

Ha, ha....thanks! You're a sweetheart. :D

My parents get lots of Christmas cards every year, and my mom usually reads them out loud as the last "post" (no pun intended) on Christmas eve.

I have never really felt an urge to send them out myself in my adult life - neither on paper or cyberpaper (much due to the fact that it seems to be something families do, and I don't have my own family yet) - so I can't really expect any in return either, now can I?
    I am extremely serious.