• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    ....although LARGO WINCH is a very good score in the genre wink

Meh.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

Sumptuous score. The writing for choir and French horns is exceptional, easily within my all time top 50 scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

Sumptuous score. The writing for choir and French horns is exceptional, easily within my all time top 50 scores.

I need to revisit this. Funny, when I search for something to listen to I never think of Barry but every time I listen to one of his scores for the most part I always enjoy them. Strange. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Please do Erik, at only 25 (ish) minutes long it never outstays it's welcome and that theme is simply gorgeous. One of Silva's very best recordings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Please do Erik, at only 25 (ish) minutes long it never outstays it's welcome and that theme is simply gorgeous. One of Silva's very best recordings.

I agree. I remember falling in love instantly when I first heard it! I think I will give it a spin now. The Prague Orchestra always performed Barry's music well. Rex Steele can wait. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Order of War - Jeremy Soule

Wow! Fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited
    NP: Walkabout - John Barry

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the inspiration, Timmer. This is exactly what I needed right now. A gorgeous score; the choral work is beautifully restrained, the writing is very relaxed, and the theme is classic Barry! An very emotional journey!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Wow! Fantastic.

Ooooooh. Tell me more. I like Soule's music very much!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Wow! Fantastic.

-Erik-

Great, vintage WW2 music. High-quality samples rather than orchestra, but it sounds great. Kinda Goldsmithian in parts, rather than the usual Indiana Jones template for these scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Wow! Fantastic.

-Erik-

Great, vintage WW2 music. High-quality samples rather than orchestra, but it sounds great. Kinda Goldsmithian in parts, rather than the usual Indiana Jones template for these scores.

Soule's music is top-notch, a greatly gifted youngster.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: First Knight - Complete - Jerry Goldsmith

Another masterpiece. Sweeping orchestration, thematic and melodic, punchy action cues, everything a scorelover would want, IMHO. Definitely one of my all time favorite Goldsmith score.

Not only, this is clearly one of the best scores ever written.

I'd go with that statement. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

Holy shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher and Other Short Film Scores - Ryan Shore

Fantastic release by MovieScore Media. The opening score, Rex Steele, is a no holds barred, old school, over the top orchestral gem! Grand themes, exciting action material, full symphony orchestra. Awesome stuff! If I had of heard this in 2004 I probably would have put it on my Top 10 list! I'm digging into the other short films offered on this release which really showcases Shore's diversity and range as a composer. I'd like to see Shore tackle some bigger projects. Shore is another up and comer to watch!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I've heard the rip. Not the promo yet.

Game rips are never a good representation of the score. Grab the promo if you can. It's very, very well done.

-Erik-

Better than his FRWL game score? Now that was well done. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FRWL?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : LICENSE TO KILL - Michael Kamen

Now this is a proper 007 action score. Aside from the Arnold ones, this is my favourite Bond score, one of which I think many people don't appreciate.

Erik Woods wrote
    FRWL?

-Erik-

From Russia With Love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Now this is a proper 007 action score.

Not in a million years! I like it, but it sounds like a generic Kamen action score rather than a Bond score to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Now this is a proper 007 action score. Aside from the Arnold ones, this is my favourite Bond score, one of which I think many people don't appreciate.

They don't because it doesn't REALLY sound like a Bond score. It's Kamen's version of what a Bond score would sound like and I actually really enjoy the bigger, bolder sound Kamen created. And his version of the Bond theme simply put ROCKS!!! punk

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love it. A shame Kamen only scored half the movie and the remaining music is just tracked in from the first part.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    And his version of the Bond theme simply put ROCKS!!! punk

And that bloody fantastic gunbarrel music. The best one by far! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry Anthony but I think Licence To Kill is one of the very weakest Bond scores ever, not under appreciated by me at all...I'm just indifferent to it.

The song though is one of the very best and you really don't get much better female vocalists than Gladys Knight. Not surprisingly this is where the problem with the score lies, Kamen had nothing to do with writing the theme song and that's why his work is so thematically weak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Holy shit!

One of those scores I NEVER just listen to willy nilly. I make an occasion of it, and make sure I listen to the whole thing uninterrupted. (Whereas, say, a Brian Tyler score would never get that kind of respect from me.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    And his version of the Bond theme simply put ROCKS!!! punk

And that bloody fantastic gunbarrel music. The best one by far! punk

To repeat James....'Not in a million years!'
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Holy shit!

One of those scores I NEVER just listen to willy nilly. I make an occasion of it, and make sure I listen to the whole thing uninterrupted. (Whereas, say, a Brian Tyler score would never get that kind of respect from me.)

100% agree!

I've played it a lot recently, more than any other soundtrack so after this play I'm going to rest it for awhile just to stay hungry. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Holy shit!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! Stick it to Tyler!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

My favourite Jarre score, this kicks serious booty!!! punk

p.s. I always skip the horrible 80's Tina Turnip power ballads vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

My favourite Jarre score, this kicks serious booty!!! punk

p.s. I always skip the horrible 80's Tina Turnip power ballads vomit

Again, another one I need to revisit. I remember liking it but not going to nuts over it. Maybe it had to do with the sound quality. Anyway, after this wonderful Ryan Shore album is done Mad Max 3 it is. BTW, Tai-Pan is my personal favorite Jarre score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Star Trek (Giacchino)

With 2 extra tracks from jump with parachutes.

The action music we missed in the original realease.

It improves the listening experience!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm finishing up this Ryan Shore album and the main theme from Articles of War came on and I instantly recognized it... or at least I knew I've heard that theme before or some variation of it. I've been going mad the passed half hour trying to figure it out. crazy First I thought it was Kamen but then it dawned on me that it came from Zimmer. But which Zimmer?a I've been sifting ll my Zimmer albums until I found The Wings of Film (which is still the most retarded name for a soundtrack album I've ever heard) and found Rain Man. Yup, Shore's main theme from Articles of War is a bastardized version of Zimmer's Rain Man. I would have gonna completely bonkers if I hadn't of figured that out. I would have been humming that theme all day and all night. Anyway, the Ryan Shore short films album is superb and I highly recommend it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal

Inspired by Erik's post of yesterday. Great score!