• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

I heard glorifying comments about the movie too but i've seen some snippets with some very fake looking aliens and i am not sure about it anymore...

Wow you are so wrong! The CGI is amazing!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Ron Goodwin

Great bombastic patriotic score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I don't like Lennertz's Quantum at all. I really like Arnold's Quantum. I'm indifferent to License To Kill... a lot.

shocked .....we.....we agree....on Bond!?? dizzy

You'll never hear me disagreeing with anyone who claims Barry is the King of Bond!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I don't like Lennertz's Quantum at all. I really like Arnold's Quantum. I'm indifferent to License To Kill... a lot.

shocked .....we.....we agree....on Bond!?? dizzy

You'll never hear me disagreeing with anyone who claims Barry is the King of Bond!

Well, even David Arnold calls him the guv'ner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And that's [part of the reason] why Arnold is a successful Bond composer! He's a Barry fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Dune (Toto)

I love this fusion of Rock and Orchestra. The main theme is pretty addictive. Dark and bold.

I don't know what is the concensus of this score, but I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited
    John wrote
    Any other soundtracks that make good use of vocals (not lyrics)? Or anything else that uses something similar to the emotional string section at the end?

John, try "Blood Diamond" by James Newton Howard. Or, if you REALLY like the African-sounding vocals, try "The Power of One" by Hans Zimmer. But the former is a more accessible choice, and one of my all-time favorite scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Nautilus wrote

I love this fusion of Rock and Orchestra. The main theme is pretty addictive. Dark and bold.

What's a consensus of a score??
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009
    Nautilus wrote

I've always enjoyed Dune. Very atmospheric score. An eighties classic! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Me too! Love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    SABRINA - JOHN WILLIAMS

This is a good romantic score by Maestro.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I heard glorifying comments about the movie too but i've seen some snippets with some very fake looking aliens and i am not sure about it anymore...

Wow you are so wrong! The CGI is amazing!

Mmm...okay.
    :shrug:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    AMERICAN BEAUTY - THOMAS NEWMAN

Beautiful score!
  2. The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderfully melodic, beautifully orchestrated, pulse pounding, emotionally charged music! I remember when this was released a lot of people didn't like it because of supposed similarities to other scores but apart from 'The Edge' this is my personal favourite of his last 10 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, there are a lot of similarities to The Mummy (my favourite of the two), but I fail to see how that's a bad thing!
  3. The Edge - Jerry Goldmith

And this is even better! The Soaring main theme is sublime; no doubt about it, but it's the quieter moments that make this one of my favourites. 'Bitter Coffee' is such a wonderful piece.

I've always thought the film was vastly underrated too. It has a terrific script by Mamet, great performances from Hopkins and Baldwin, beautiful photography and scenery and all topped off with Goldsmith's masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    John Chambers wrote
    The Edge - Jerry Goldmith

And this is even better! The Soaring main theme is sublime; no doubt about it, but it's the quieter moments that make this one of my favourites. 'Bitter Coffee' is such a wonderful piece.

I've always thought the film was vastly underrated too. It has a terrific script by Mamet, great performances from Hopkins and Baldwin, beautiful photography and scenery and all topped off with Goldsmith's masterpiece.

Completely agreed on both the score and the movie! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: 9 - Deborah Lurie

A pleasant surprise! Probably nothing overtly special but I really liked the action and dramatic moments here. Nice work!
  4. John Chambers wrote
    The Edge - Jerry Goldmith

The Soaring main theme is sublime; no doubt about it, but it's the quieter moments that make this one of my favourites. 'Bitter Coffee' is such a wonderful piece.

I feel like I've slighted the big moments of this score in my last post. Now as I near the end of the disc and am listening to the track 'Rescued' (what a truly wonderful piece of music) I realise that to me the genius of this score is Goldsmith's ability to move from intimate quiet music to grand moments and back again seamlessly multiple times within the same track. To me it makes the big moments bigger and the intimate moments more intimate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DAS PERFUM: Die Geschichte eines Mörders| klimek, heil and tykwer

What a score!

I recently read Heil (or Klimek) wrote his own opera and I can imagine that this score contains some elements that triggered that or contain the style that he might have used. The track duo The Perfume and The Crowd Embrace is a gothic orgasm! I really like its theme, very memorable to my ears. Somehow the last track never is a satisfying end though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Playing film music again after a long time... I wanted something thrilling. Something that will make me feel like I'm away in a different era, a different world. So,
    NP: Pirates of Caribbean - At World's End~ Hans Zimmer
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    DAS PERFUM: Die Geschichte eines Mörders

Gazoontite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rabbia e Tarantella Ennio Morricone

Actually, just the one track from the Inglourious Basterds album. What a fantastic way to end a fantastic movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

Gazoontite.

I had to read that out loud. biggrin

Steven wrote

Actually, just the one track from the Inglourious Basterds album. What a fantastic way to end a fantastic movie!

Morricone? uhm
    Next you'll be telling us you're listening to Barry...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY - ENNIO MORRICONE

Magnificent! excellent! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

Gazoontite.

I had to read that out loud. biggrin

Steven wrote

Morricone? uhm
    Next you'll be telling us you're listening to Barry...

Well, Steven has at times listed Barry in his NP's.....but Morricone!??? Is he finally getting some cultured taste? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Chambers wrote
    The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderfully melodic, beautifully orchestrated, pulse pounding, emotionally charged music! I remember when this was released a lot of people didn't like it because of supposed similarities to other scores but apart from 'The Edge' this is my personal favourite of his last 10 years.

That main theme is pure Gold!

Bregt wrote
    DAS PERFUM: Die Geschichte eines Mörders| klimek, heil and tykwer

What a score!

I recently read Heil (or Klimek) wrote his own opera and I can imagine that this score contains some elements that triggered that or contain the style that he might have used. The track duo The Perfume and The Crowd Embrace is a gothic orgasm! I really like its theme, very memorable to my ears. Somehow the last track never is a satisfying end though.

Seriously, that score is one of the best of the last decade, in so many aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: 9 - Deborah Lurie

A pleasant surprise! Probably nothing overtly special but I really liked the action and dramatic moments here. Nice work!

How is it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

Gazoontite.

Gezonde tieten?
    Kazoo
    •