• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited
    NP:Star Trek (Goldsmith)

Wow....One of the best scores ever written!

In the beggining it was too 70's Goldsmith sound to my ears, but it is really a MASTERPIECE. It really captures the mysteri of the space. I love this almost biblical sounding pieces.

How such a great score can come out from a human hand?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    Nautilus wrote

In the beggining it was too 70's Goldsmith sound to my ears, but it is really a MASTERPIECE.

:sexy woman whisper: --> "Classic Jordi!"
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

In the beggining it was too 70's Goldsmith sound to my ears, but it is really a MASTERPIECE.

this hypnotic/mystic tracks are really AMAZING.

"the cloud", "vjeur Flyover" and "the Force Field" are pure geniality. Really captures the mysteri of the space.

This score in "must have" catefory in my IPOD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009
    NP: Tinkerbell (End Credits) - Joel McNeely

Is it too much to hope for that some 5-year-old somewhere out there hears this music and falls in love with it and grows up to become the film composer that manages to bring this kind of unashamedly majestic and beautiful scoring back into the mainstream?

At least we have Powell and Giacchino.

But seriously, maybe the next generation will finally get sick and tired of the unmelodic, atonal, atmospheric, soundscaping drone-fests that are so much in style now. Maybe they will stop thinking that "dark" = "cool." Maybe in a few decades the summer blockbusters will be less like "The Dark Knight" and more like 1977's "Star Wars." And maybe the endings of said movies will leave the viewer feeling happy instead of sad.

Now, on a more realistic and down-to-earth note...
    the 99-cent purchase of this 7 minutes of McNeely awesomeness is worth more than a thousand 99-cent McDonald's cheeseburgers beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love "too 70s Goldsmith sound to my ears."

Nothing in film music compares to 70s Goldsmith for me. I wish he'd written four thousand scores in the 70s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

the 99-cent purchase of this 7 minutes of McNeely awesomeness is worth more than a thousand 99-cent McDonald's cheeseburgers beer

Excellent piece! One of my favorites from last year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

A Fenella Fielding voice!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Excellent piece! One of my favorites from last year!

-Erik-

Indeed, a really wonderful piece of music. A crying shame the release is so short..
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Quest For A Heart - Tuomas Kantelinen

Speaking of good animated scores, this is an absolute gem from a composer I'm always impressed by.
    Written in the "Horner in Prokofiev" mode like the animated movie scores of the eighties, this score boasts strong themes with rich orchestration and choral moments.
    At just under 40 minutes I find it too short for my liking. Also some cues are way too short (my only gripe).
    Pure fun and adventure. It's been a while since I've heard such a magical score!
    With such scores as Arn, Mongol, The Promise, Year Of The Wolf etc Tuomas Kantelinen has proven to be one of the best out there. Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lonely are the Brave - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful!
  1. Smilla's Sense of Snow (Harry Gregson-Williams & Hans Zimmer)

Don't let the fact that HGW co-composed this put you off. Dating from 1997, this is a very atmospheric score with actual interesting thematic progression. The music is low-key in approach but boasts some slightly memorable moments, if you don't mind the fact this has mostly a synthetic sound. Or how the combined ideas of master and apprentice can pay off. It's not one I put on regularly, but when I do, I find myself enjoying it and being immersed by the musical ambience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009 edited
    Demolition Man (Elliot Goldenthal)

I love this for the first track and last track, and some good moments here and there save the score from total blandness. This is a typical atonal Goldenthal that's hard to like because the action cues are so chaotic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Un genio, due compari, un pollo /The Genius/ - Ennio Morricone
    I love when Morricone is in a funny mood! Most of the score is very light-hearted, with the occasional western self-spoofing. A great one!
  2. Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

One of his very best recent scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Drag Me to Hell - Christopher Young

Very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    District 9 - Clinton Shorter

I thought the movie was amazing and I plan to see it again very soon, the music has it's strong points and weak points, overall it's pretty average. The first track however I really love, the African vocals, and in particular the 'rising strings' section at the end, I think that's how it's described, that I remember playing during the shootout in the science lab.
    Any other soundtracks that make good use of vocals (not lyrics)? Or anything else that uses something similar to the emotional string section at the end?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demolition Man (Elliot Goldenthal)

I love this for the first track and last track, and some good moments here and there save the score from total blandness. This is a typical atonal Goldenthal that's hard to like because the action cues are so chaotic.

I like it. At only 30 minutes long it's very palatable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One of my favorite scores that is likely unknown to most of you is "Dark Passage" from Franz Waxman. Stromberg and Morgan did a suite of music from it awhile ago, which is what I'm listening to.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

Because it makes you look cool and it's healthier than smoking. cool Ahem.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At least it's a darn sight better than Licence To Kill.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    True, but you ain't going to hear me complaining about Kamen's score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I know that. Licence To Kill is an exceptionally poor score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Lies!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TRUTH! I only have to listen to it....though I'd rather not. As I said earlier though, fantastic song sung by Gladys Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John wrote
    District 9 - Clinton Shorter

I thought the movie was amazing and I plan to see it again very soon, the music has it's strong points and weak points, overall it's pretty average. The first track however I really love, the African vocals, and in particular the 'rising strings' section at the end, I think that's how it's described, that I remember playing during the shootout in the science lab.
    Any other soundtracks that make good use of vocals (not lyrics)? Or anything else that uses something similar to the emotional string section at the end?

I heard glorifying comments about the movie too but i've seen some snippets with some very fake looking aliens and i am not sure about it anymore...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    At least it's a darn sight better than Licence To Kill.

I don't like Arnold's Quantum at all. I really Like Lennertz's Quantum. I really like License To Kill a lot!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't like Lennertz's Quantum at all. I really like Arnold's Quantum. I'm indifferent to License To Kill... a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dig (Michael Land)

I loved this music when I played the game, I love the music listen the cd.

It's all what atmospheric music must be.

In my top listening experinces.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't like Lennertz's Quantum at all. I really like Arnold's Quantum. I'm indifferent to License To Kill... a lot.

shocked .....we.....we agree....on Bond!?? dizzy