• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY - ENNIO MORRICONE

Magnificent! excellent! punk

Indeed it is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Rabbia e Tarantella Ennio Morricone

Actually, just the one track from the Inglourious Basterds album. What a fantastic way to end a fantastic movie!

Morricone? uhm
    Next you'll be telling us you're listening to Barry...

Well, Steven has at times listed Barry in his NP's.....but Morricone!??? Is he finally getting some cultured taste? wink

I desperately want to like Morricone, and perhaps Tarantino is the man to help me. That piece of music is a PERFECT way to end the film. Perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PATRICK DOYLE - Frankenstein

Really, really good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    How is it like?

Somewhat typical sci-fi stuff but big dramatic orchestral action music thrown in too. Also some nice suspense/dramatic cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing special though i suspect, eh? Kinda like Lockington's scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DAS PERFUM: Die Geschichte eines Mörders| klimek, heil and tykwer

What a score!

I recently read Heil (or Klimek) wrote his own opera and I can imagine that this score contains some elements that triggered that or contain the style that he might have used. The track duo The Perfume and The Crowd Embrace is a gothic orgasm! I really like its theme, very memorable to my ears. Somehow the last track never is a satisfying end though.

Seriously, that score is one of the best of the last decade, in so many aspects.

...except quality. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nothing special though i suspect, eh? Kinda like Lockington's scores?

I find it better than his scores actually. It did keep my interest up for most of the part!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, might check it out although i am not exactly a fan of Mrs.Lurie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Here's Jim Lochner's review of 9 - http://www.filmscoreclicktrack.com/2009 … -review-9/
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited
    NP: Lost Season 4 (Giacchino)

Man, I'm trying hard liking this one. But leaving "oceanic's 6" theme and his epic renditions aside I find this score cold.

This score for sure has more epic moments, and renditions of the main themes. But it lack of atmosphere. I mean, I don't know how describe it, but it lacks of textures or tribal instrumentation that captured me in the previous scores.

The fact it doesn't have Julliet's theme, kate's theme, the Island's theme or "shambala" arrengement doesn't help either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm having a listen to Zatoichi, something I'm totally clueless about.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Zacarias M. de la Riva's brilliant symphonic horror score for IMAGO MORTIS is one of the last scores i've heard during the last couple of years which really made me feel excited for film music again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna try some Morricone again!

Right, I'll start wiiiiiith....

City of Joy Ennio Morricone

Oh dear god that opening track is just awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To each his own! I really like that opening track and a couple of other tracks in City of Joy, but it's not a great one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zacarias M. de la Riva's brilliant symphonic horror score for IMAGO MORTIS is one of the last scores i've heard during the last couple of years which really made me feel excited for film music again.

It's a good one, isn't it? (And recently given a capsule review by myself!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    To each his own! I really like that opening track and a couple of other tracks in City of Joy, but it's not a great one.

I'd rather slide down a giant cheese grater butt-naked than listen to that track. That singing effect is just awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I'd rather slide down a giant cheese grater butt-naked than listen to that track. That singing effect is just awful.

I wish I was listening to it right now! In fact, I might.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Thomas reviewed an other score of him some time ago:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/la-monja/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I wish I was listening to it right now! In fact, I might.

I'm glad someone can enjoy it! (I actually am - for once that wasn't a sarcastic backhanded comment.)

I'm just addicted to that one track from Rabbia a Tarantella (unless that is the track name!?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Never heard of it. (Well, until you mentioned it recently.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:"The Cloud" from Star trek

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I'm just addicted to that one track from Rabbia a Tarantella (unless that is the track name!?).

Ah. That is from Allonsanfan.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=6222

I don't have it. Perhaps I will get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    Scribe wrote
    John wrote
    Any other soundtracks that make good use of vocals (not lyrics)? Or anything else that uses something similar to the emotional string section at the end?

John, try "Blood Diamond" by James Newton Howard. Or, if you REALLY like the African-sounding vocals, try "The Power of One" by Hans Zimmer. But the former is a more accessible choice, and one of my all-time favorite scores.

Wow Blood Diamond sounds fantastic, thanks for the recommendation. Not to keen on Power of the One, the vocals are too strong and dominant, I prefer them to be placed more subtly smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Eye of the Needle from Rozsa.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BEN HUR - MIKLOS ROZSA

Classical spiritual score! i really like this to play during morning hours. punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I know, i've read it! I am preparing one myself too, i've been listening to it constantly these days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Farewell My Concubine - Great Film Themes From Chinese Cinema - Compilation

This Silva compilation contains truly wonderful themes! A very good listen, indeed!
  1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)

Listening to the expanded... at long last !!! Man I love this for the spectacular sound. The action tracks have never sounded so vibrant and energetic. I'm sure I'm hearing instruments I didn't hear on the GNP Crescendo release. It's absolutely stunning on a technical level. But I can't say I love this album more than Star Trek III expanded (if it ever comes to pass).

I love II of course but I was always flatout dumbstruck by III, it's melodies do more for me I guess.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think when, and I believe it'll be when NOT if STAR TREK III get's an expanded release many people will be surprised at how much excellent material was left off and just how frigging brilliant the score is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I watched the film recently, and although there was a lot of fine material missing from the album, it's certainly not enough to move Wrath of Khan from its perch in my top scores. I prefer the action, seafaring feel of Khan to the mystical feel of Search for Spock (which is indicative to the differences in our tastes).