• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Jep, plays just fine! Cool for you, to have such an interview moment on primetime television! All I got from it, was that you liked it very much, and you call Prometheus an artistic statement from Ridley Scott. Then you point out the philosophical quality of science fiction.

How did I score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    BobdH wrote
    Jep, plays just fine! Cool for you, to have such an interview moment on primetime television! All I got from it, was that you liked it very much, and you call Prometheus an artistic statement from Ridley Scott. Then you point out the philosophical quality of science fiction.

How did I score?

A+. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Yes!

To be honest, even though I thought the film was far from perfect and I've got several quibbles with it... I still feel I saw a film-event last night that stays with me. Listening to Streitenfeld's score adds to that, with the magnificent opening especially keep getting back to me, and some other scene, with the woman getting in the... thing, to do a thing on her... thingy. To refrain from spoilers. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean. Brrr.
  1. I must say, I quite liked the score of Prometheus, and I had zero expectations considering I've never heard one second of Streitenfeld's work. It actually has some standout moments in the film, which surprised me. The emphasis on choir is a good choice too. There is also the two-note motif from Alien during one scene which was a nice touch.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    A lot of people are saying that Streitenfeld's music is barely heard in the film, which tracks in the Gregson-Williams music all over the place. True?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Gregson-Williams' "Life" theme opens the film and is used at least half a dozen times throughout.
    Still plenty of Streitenfeld's score heard also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, I'd say that's largely an exaggeration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Score works great in the film, which is a very good effort imo, movie and score too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Yeah, I'd say that's largely an exaggeration.

Indeed. HGW's the most prominent piece (easy to remember, and melodic) but the rest of the score is there too.
  2. Atham wrote
    Gregson-Williams' "Life" theme opens the film and is used at least half a dozen times throughout.
    Still plenty of Streitenfeld's score heard also.

So that wondrous theme that is used so much is HGW's doing? Talk about deceiving the audience. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited
    Yes. Considering it's not his name splashed across the screen at the beginning! Just Streitenfeld's.
    Though to be fair, Streitenfeld wrote 2/3rds of the score.
  3. I wonder why not using both names? It's not like Harry hasn't been co-composer before.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the score, I hope the memorable cues from the film are on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited
    Atham wrote
    Yes. Considering it's not his name splashed across the screen at the beginning! Just Streitenfeld's.
    Though to be fair, Streitenfeld wrote 2/3rds of the score.

Let's not exaggerate; Streitenfeld wrote 94% of the score, with Harry Gregson-Williams the remaining 6. His material is heard twice on the score album, and is used a few more times in the film, but by far the biggest amount of score is Streitenfeld's, including 3 of the 4 used themes (excluding Goldsmith's original theme). The fact that HG-W's theme seems to be the most prominent, is because it is used at several prominent spots. But I'm almost believing people now mistake a certain Streitenfeld theme for HG-W's theme in the film as well, since he has prominent and fully fleshed out thematic material on his own as well.

The only thing I'm a little puzzled about is the track from the opening - I could've sworn it was the track Earth from the soundtrack album, which is composed by Marc Streitenfeld with a first appearance of HG-W's theme later in the cave, but on internet everybody says it is HG-W's track.

DreamTheater wrote
    I wonder why not using both names? It's not like Harry hasn't been co-composer before.

Well, HG-W's contribution may have been used several more times, but really, his contribution is nearly limited to that theme and as such, rather small. It's the fact everybody knows his name so well and he's the only additional score writer, as opposed to dozens other minions at RC, plus the fact people don't seem to feel comfortable with giving Streitenfeld credit for what is really a very interesting and good score, that he gets so much talk. His prominent credit on the soundtrack album, with track-specific credit, seems enough to me.

DreamTheater wrote
    Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the score, I hope the memorable cues from the film are on the album.

Yes, do so! It's a very strong listening experience, and all material you remember from the film is there (and then some?). Even if it means you need to program the track Life a few more times later on if you want a 'film version'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    I'm pretty sure the film opened with "Life". At least the first half of the cue anyway. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.
  4. Wait, you mean to tell me that when you're wrong, you can't possibly be right? Because if you're right, there's hardly a chance of you being wrong, right?

Or is it plain wrong to assume that you're right, even when being right means that what you're talking about isn't necessarily wrong?

A bit confused here. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nothing wrong with being confused.
    God knows I am now! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, that's just wrong... right?
  5. Depends on your point of view. Or am I wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You're right about that!
  6. Good we have that cleared up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    I've made a new album version with the film cues in chronological film order based on what someone put together on another forum. I really like it this way.
    Streitenfeld's music really is good. Along with HGW's "6%".
    The way the whole musical story unfolds thematically is better captured in correct order.
    But I know there are some who would prefer the album arrangement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, care to share? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Care to share the chronological film order list or the names of those who'd prefer the album version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm

Wut
  7. Atham wrote
    Care to share the chronological film order list or the names of those who'd prefer the album version?

He meant the chronological arrangement smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, I don't think so. I think he meant actually meant his credit card and social security number.
    Yeah.
    That's it.
    Trust us.
    We mean you no harm.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    Ah ok then.

My credit card no. is : 6543 5541 7688 9775 PIN No. 8147

I know I can trust you all with this information. wink

Sadly my last post before this one was written last night under the influence of one glass of red too many!
    Sorry about that! here's the track list I've gone with :

1. Life (2:30)
    2. Invitation (2:16)
    3. Hyper Sleep (2:01)
    4. Friend From The Past
    5. Weyland (2:04)
    6. A Planet (2:37)
    7. Too Close (3:20)
    8. Discovery (2:32)
    9. Going In
    10. Hammerpede (2:42)
    11. Not Human (1:49)
    12. Try Harder (2:03)
    13. Small Beginnings (2:11)
    16. Hello Mommy (2:04)
    17. Engineers (2:29)
    18. Dazed (4:29)
    19. Space Jockey (1:29)
    20. Collision (3:05)
    21. Debris (0:44)
    22. Planting The Seed (1:35)
    23. Earth (2:35)
    24. Birth (1:24)
    25. David (3:00) (unused)

Unsure at this point if it's accurate or not. But it's pretty close.
  8. Atham wrote

I want their names! biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    I'm sure we could begin with Thor! wink