• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    MISSION TO MARS has some good things in it, as does CONTACT, but they both falter miserably towards the end. By the way, I read CONTACT awhile back, and all I can say is that the movie was far better!

I really enjoyed both movie. Each had something to say and I must say that I was entertained by their efforts.

Now, I'm really looking forward to this new Alien movie. Great cast paired with a great production team behind it makes this movie a must see. I'm not sold on Streitenfeld, but I'm hoping that he'll be able to lean on the temp a bit more to create a solid partnership with the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    Wow, i've seen it numerous times; this new movie looks brilliant.

lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    MISSION TO MARS has some good things in it, as does CONTACT, but they both falter miserably towards the end. By the way, I read CONTACT awhile back, and all I can say is that the movie was far better!

I really enjoyed both movie. Each had something to say and I must say that I was entertained by their efforts.

Now, I'm really looking forward to this new Alien movie. Great cast paired with a great production team behind it makes this movie a must see. I'm not sold on Streitenfeld, but I'm hoping that he'll be able to lean on the temp a bit more to create a solid partnership with the movie.

I wasn't sold on his work either, up until THE GREY.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PROMETHEUS may well be my MUST SEE movie this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote

I forgot what thread I was in when I read this comment (was just absent-mindedly clicking through threads with new posts) and so I went to Upcoming Film Scores to see who was composing the score for such an anticipated film. When I saw Streitenfeld I said..."oh f***". slant

Not that Robin Hood isn't a fun score. But yeah....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I suspect the score will be 'sound design' like, anyway I'm more interested in the film than the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely! I am also looking forward to the score, his work for THE GREY was surprising to say the least smile
  1. I'll be skipping both. Litterally, no interest.

In fact, I've never cared for any of the Alien films.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    Ridley's loss I'm sure.
  2. Every ticket ads up.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    I'll be skipping both. Litterally, no interest.

In fact, I've never cared for any of the Alien films.

No, you've always been a bit odd. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Most disappointing news of the week:

Ain’t It Cool News is reporting that Marc Streitenfeld will be scoring Ridley Scott’s upcoming sci-fi epic Prometheus.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/12/14 … rometheus/

And now Harry Gregson-Williams is apparently on board as well. Perhaps Tyler Bates could join in too, to complete the holy trinity.
  3. "In film music messageboards everyone can hear the screams!"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Can I secretly hope that this turns out to be as good as the last time HGW randomly came on board a big-budget sci-fi film to help a quasi-RC composer (1998)?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Can I secretly hope that this turns out to be as good as the last time HGW randomly came on board a big-budget sci-fi film to help a quasi-RC composer (1998)?

Which was?
  4. Enemy of the State? Was that sci-fi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Most disappointing news of the week:

Ain’t It Cool News is reporting that Marc Streitenfeld will be scoring Ridley Scott’s upcoming sci-fi epic Prometheus.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/12/14 … rometheus/

And now Harry Gregson-Williams is apparently on board as well. Perhaps Tyler Bates could join in too, to complete the holy trinity.
    biggrin

FalkirkBairn wrote
    "In film music messageboards everyone can hear the screams!"

Who said that? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "In film music messageboards everyone can hear the screams!"

applause
    Kazoo
  5. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Which was?

Armageddon. Trevor Rabin was doing the score and all was nice, until they realized he can't deal with such a big project on his own. Harry Gregson-Williams was asked by Bruckheimer to come in and help. He wrote the love theme for the project (in one case rather beautifully mixed with the Aerosmith song) and most of the action material taking place on the asteroid itself.

One major cue by Gregson-Williams was reportedly "the best action cue ever written", but rejected and ended up with a hasty and uncredited replacement by Hans Zimmer (with arranging help by John van Tongeren). Zimmer created an asteroid motif which Bruckheimer later pasted over Rabin's cues in the beginning of the movie.

Mess. And don't get me about the story of The Rock.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ...And Jablonsky apparently had something to do with the film opening too, because the track is on his film music promo shocked
  6. Jablonsky was HGW's assistant at the time. Quarter or half of HGW's part of the score is co-arranged or arranged by him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Which was?

Armageddon. Trevor Rabin was doing the score and all was nice, until they realized he can't deal with such a big project on his own. Harry Gregson-Williams was asked by Bruckheimer to come in and help. He wrote the love theme for the project (in one case rather beautifully mixed with the Aerosmith song) and most of the action material taking place on the asteroid itself.

One major cue by Gregson-Williams was reportedly "the best action cue ever written", but rejected and ended up with a hasty and uncredited replacement by Hans Zimmer (with arranging help by John van Tongeren). Zimmer created an asteroid motif which Bruckheimer later pasted over Rabin's cues in the beginning of the movie.

"the best action cue ever written" biggrin

...and I caught a 485Ib pike the other day but it got away.
  7. I was just quoting Hans biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    wink I know
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote

UMmmm.

START NOW!!!!!!
  8. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

UMmmm.

START NOW!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't thik I know the story about 'the rock'. And as I actually really like that soundtrack, i'm interested to find it out.

Sorry if that will bring people to sigh.

Elin

PS: And Pawel if you want to tell the story in the appropriate thread (Hans Zimmer?) I'll read it there. i don't want to heist this thread.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    I don't see why it would make anyone *sigh* Elin, like a bad TV program everything is only a click away from a quick change.

I don't enjoy THE ROCK soundtrack at all but I'm still interested in the story behind the scoring.
  9. Probably based on his additional work on Bad Boys a year earlier (and maybe with a recommendation from the Z man himself, that I don't know) the man hired first to write the score to The Rock was Nick Glennie-Smith. He took Harry Gregson-Williams as his main additional man. Glennie-Smith turned his demos in.

It turned out that Bay loved the arrangement, but hated the themes. On the verge of rejection or maybe due to Simpson (provided he was still alive at that point, the man overdosed on drugs early enough for the movie to be dedicated to him) and Bruckheimer begging him for help, Hans Zimmer was brought in to help out on it. Hans caved in and due to hyperfast schedule, he took a few composers not really famous for working for Media Ventures at the time (like Russ Landau) or other collaborators from the studio, not really known from his own scores (Don Harper was a Mark Mancina assistant at the time; he would also help out on Broken Arrow later or earlier, I only know the recording session dates for Broken Arrow).

Zimmer added one main theme (the beginning of the first cue is Zimmer on his own) and one/two secondary themes, rescored a few scenes in the movie. The score album features James Newton Howard in thank yous, the official at least version (as told by JNH's assistant Stu Thomas) is that Zimmer basically phoned him and asked if he can rip him off for a cue (that cue would be the one where the choppers start and the SEALs and our characters enter the Rock itself), to which Howard agree, the unofficial version would go that JNH actually ghostwrote the cue (officially credited to Hans) for the movie. We'll never know what happened, but Hans and JNH have been friends since Hans borrowed and helped program synthesizer sounds for Waterworld, when it was Howard who asked for help (a friend of mine has a theory that Hans actually ghostwrote the theme playing in Deacon's Speech, but while nice, it's not something I would seriously believe until given some more proof than a stylistical similarity to an anthem).

Harry Gregson-Williams kept doing the additional music for the movie and some of his cues are retained on the album (namely Rocket Away is a big cue by him). After the movie was done Hans asked for his name to be taken from the film credits (as he would point out later "it was always Nick's score"), but Bruckheimer refused to comply, so the FILM credits state Music Composed by Nick Glennie-Smith and Hans Zimmer.

Glennie-Smith compiled the album and to the composer's shock added Harry Gregson-Williams (who has the prominent, and actually single, additional music credit in the movie) to the main credits (Music Composed and Arranged by Nick-Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams).

Now to my theory. Nick Glennie-Smith hasn't composed much since working on The Rock. Basically he built a pretty steady relationship with Randall Wallace (more famous - or in the latter case rather INfamous - for his Braveheart and Pearl Harbor scripts), for whom he scored all his directorial outputs. Glennie-Smith right now is happy conducting the RCP scores and doing some "ace-in-the-sleeves" additional music help mostly for Hans. They have been friends since late 70s.

I think the reason for it was that the work on The Rock was a traumatic experience for the composer, which is a pity.

Sadly, Ramin Djawadi keeps actively doing scores after Hans had to pull off the same trick when Djawadi's Iron Man score was on the verge of rejection and Hans and a team of four other composers went in to save the project. If anyone likes the first track from the Iron Man score... That's Hans.
  10. Timmer wrote
    I don't see why it would make anyone *sigh* Elin, like a bad TV program everything is only a click away from a quick change.

Well, I was afraid this was a story that hd been told many times before, and I would be the one asking it to be dragged up again.
    But so, thank you for sharing Pawel.

BTW, I also liked the Man in the Iron Mask scored by Nick Glennie-Smith.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)