• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    oh my...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    See?

Srsly. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    And I agree. There you go. Always two there are.
  1. I happen to be a fan of HGW's Kingdon of Heaven score too. This was one score that was definied (all its influences aside) by a specific sound, which is (generally) quite unique.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    One good score (which IS admittedly, you're not alone blowing the horn) does not equal a good composer. So yeah, i say toss the clones and get the man himself. Or get someone entirely else.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    One good score (which IS admittedly, you're not alone blowing the horn) does not equal a good composer. So yeah, i say toss the clones and get the man himself. Or get someone entirely else.

The reason I'm more inclined toward HGW is because the story of Robin Hood seems to take place around the same period, thus it'd be interesting to hear Harry continue along that same vein. I'd take Zimmer though, if I had to choose. I don't want to hear another Marc Streitenfeld creation that's similar to what he's done before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I happen to be a fan of HGW's Kingdon of Heaven score too. This was one score that was definied (all its influences aside) by a specific sound, which is (generally) quite unique.

I was somewhat bothered by the Horner-esque choral rise in the score. But, given how HGW has incorporated it successfully in later efforts, I've grown to enjoy it immensely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    The Robin Hood score is gonna be released by Varese on May 11 - http://www.amazon.com/Robin-Hood-OST-Va … amp;sr=1-8
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I know that it is just trailer music, again, and that it´s no indication of what we´ll finally get, but this new trailer is a hell of a lot more like I want the next generation of Robin Hood movies to look and sound like.

indeed, it seems they have listened to the complaints, now I might be able to rent it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    ROBIN HOOD
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Marc Streitenfeld

Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe
    Academy Award Winner Cate Blanchett

Oscar® winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as Robin Hood, whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

Robin Hood chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard’s army against the French. Upon Richard’s death, Robin travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar® winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Maid Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled from the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.

Director Ridley Scott, whose Gladiator brought a contemporary spin to the world of ancient Rome, takes a similar turn with the Robin Hood legend, with a striking new score by Marc Streitenfeld, who also collaborated on the director’s Body Of Lies and American Gangster.

Kicking off the Summer blockbuster season, Universal Pictures will open ROBIN HOOD on over 3500 screens on May 14.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 020 2
    Release Date: 05/11/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    First Knight echoes, anyone?
    I'm very weary of this one...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am almost sure it'll sound like a Gladiator rip smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    Complete with wailing caterwauling women vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    I read "wailing caterpillar women", which, if it isn't a sign of the apocalypse, certainly should be. freezing
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    perhaps streitenfeld's score in the backround?

http://www.robinhoodthemovie.com/

the "main theme" sounds great. i hope it's his score.
  3. Lars wrote
    perhaps streitenfeld's score in the backround?

http://www.robinhoodthemovie.com/

the "main theme" sounds great. i hope it's his score.

well, it's typical stuff from the boys of RC, but it's do-able
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    I agree. This is at least a melody that sticks to the mind. Streitenfeld's other scores couldn't do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Gotta say his American Gangster really sticked in my mind. At least 100 Percent Pure and Frank Lucas did!
  4. Frank Lucas is a very good piece.

I actually like Body of Lies too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010 edited
    If this is indeed music from the movie, I will be very happy.

The main theme certainly has a Chevalier de Sangreal air to it, and that´s not the worst stuff to be inspired by.

Everything is better than a hard rock score for a medieval movie, but this is certainly better than everything.
    This is an ordered CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The "main theme" sounds so uninspired! I miss the days where you would get something like THIS! Now THAT'S inspiring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    The "main theme" sounds so uninspired! I miss the days where you would get something like THIS! Now THAT'S inspiring!

-Erik-

the opening theme from robin hood is amazing. for me it's the best theme of the whole movie. i think since then they used this theme also for the morgan creek logo. very good choice. for me the structure of theme on the website sounds more like the violin part in "page 47" from the national treasure 2 score. i wouldn't say uninspired but it's not that adventurous as the kamen theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    And probably right so, because this is a totally different movie than PoT was, obviously. PoT was (depending on your personal view about the movie, at least supposed to be) an adventure movie with a lot of fun and a brightly spirited mood. Kamen´s score was perfect for that.

But somehow I can´t imagine the same kind of score with a Ridley Scott retelling of the legend. The trailers scream dark and realistic to me, and a classic adventure score would totally ruin that feeling.

As much as I like adventure scores, they have to be done for the right movies. This is not one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And probably right so, because this is a totally different movie than PoT was, obviously. PoT was (depending on your personal view about the movie, at least supposed to be) an adventure movie with a lot of fun and a brightly spirited mood. Kamen´s score was perfect for that.

But somehow I can´t imagine the same kind of score with a Ridley Scott retelling of the legend. The trailers scream dark and realistic to me, and a classic adventure score would totally ruin that feeling.

As much as I like adventure scores, they have to be done for the right movies. This is not one of them.

Agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I disagree with that completely. This whole "well, it's a serious retelling so it can't contain a spirited adventure score" IMHO is rubbish. This is not an attack on you, Ralph, so please don't take it as is. It's a general comment gear towards the thinking that classic symphonic scores can't work in "serious" films. In the hands of the RIGHT composer a Kamen styled score CAN work.

This whole downgrading slope that we are on where dry, atonal, uninvolved, paint by numbers, down right serviceable, uninteresting film music is just sad. Now, Streitenfeld might surprise us and create something as influential and inspiring as Kamen's Robin Hood but I'm pretty sure we are going to get yet another missed opportunity for a composer to write something truly striking and memorable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm with you on the degrading of scoring, with uninspired works that feel like bland rehashes. But not every film needs a hugely orchestral, melodic work and I don't necissarily see it as a bad thing that composers nowadays also take different approaches in filmscoring. If the new technique ultimately feels bland through the lack of inspiredness, blame it on the composers or composition. But stepping away from old fashioned classic styles can be a good thing. I even prefer a fresh aproach sometimes above another variation of an old technique.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I disagree with that completely. This whole "well, it's a serious retelling so it can't contain a spirited adventure score" IMHO is rubbish.
    It´s not if the serious retelling tries to get rid of the spirited adventure feeling, which is exactly what Scott is going for, obviously.

This is not an attack on you, Ralph, so please don't take it as is.
    Well, how would I get this ridiculous idea? After all, this is the first time in weeks, if not months, that I wrote something about a score I liked. I´m sure it´s just a coincidence that, of all the people, you were the first to stomp on my opinion, Erik. So, no harm done.

It's a general comment gear towards the thinking that classic symphonic scores can't work in "serious" films.
    That´s not what I wrote. I wrote that a classic adventure score wouldn´t fit. I don´t know why I have to tell you that again and again, I love classic scoring, and I would agree that most movies would benefit from it.

In the hands of the RIGHT composer a Kamen styled score CAN work.
    I´m surprised you didn´t go the whole nine yards and suggested Korngold. But again, I have nothing against Kamen´s style. It´s the PoT style that just doesn´t fit. A bit less adventurized, like Dead Zone, for example, might, indeed, work fabulously on this movie.

This whole downgrading slope that we are on where dry, atonal, uninvolved, paint by numbers, down right serviceable, uninteresting film music is just sad.
    That´s a totally new point of view. I´m sure I´ve never heard that one before. You should write a book about it.

Now, Streitenfeld might surprise us and create something as influential and inspiring as Kamen's Robin Hood but I'm pretty sure we are going to get yet another missed opportunity for a composer to write something truly striking and memorable.
    Why you still listen to new stuff coming out is beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't mind fresh new approaches but hearing that "Main Theme" doesn't fill me with confidence. For me, that sort of composition sounds more out of place then something along the lines of a Kamen styled score.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    I don't mind fresh new approaches but hearing that "Main Theme" doesn't fill me with confidence. For me, that sort of composition sounds more out of place then something along the lines of a Kamen styled score.
    Well, obviously. But wouldn´t you at least agree that this is better than hard rock?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph... I didn't resort to digs and insults so why did you have to. Anyway, I'll just be ignoring your most recent comments because I'm tired of you getting all pissy anytime I respond to one of your posts. And if someone else had of written what you did I would have said the EXACT SAME THING. I don't seek you out and plan an attack. Your not that important to me.

-Erik-