• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    What did he do to earn it? Exactly my point. It's not what he did obviously, but who he knows.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    What did he do to earn it? Exactly my point. It's not what he did obviously, but who he knows.

But Scott is not stupid, Demetris. It's not like this guy Mark Streitenfeld suddenly fell into his lap like a stray cat and Ridley felt compelled to care for it even if it didn't do him any good. If Scott had not liked what he had done for his first film, he would have ended the collaboration right then and there. There's obviously SOMETHING there that he connects to. Scott has always experimented with different composers, and this is no different. I like to evalute a composer's work based on the actual work, not on what he has done before or even if he was pulled right up from his mom's basement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I like to evalute a composer's work based on the actual work

So do I, which is why I'm disappointed he's getting to score this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    I like to evalute a composer's work based on the actual work

So do I, which is why I'm disappointed he's getting to score this film.

...and by actual work, I obviously mean ACTUAL WORK, not his Curriculum Vitae.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "There's obviously SOMETHING there that he connects to."

There is. Zimmer.
  1. Bregt wrote
    But ... but ... so harsh! He's WSA Discovery of the Year, remember! That has to mean something!

please, that's not a reference shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've only ever heard his music within film and it's done nothing for me. Wallpaper.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What about the MUCH ABLE composers who are out there - older and younger, and have a WIDE, RICH MUSICAL CANVAS, proven, and get no (significant) work these days?

They should be used TOO! But there's room enough to give oddball composers a chance on new territory now and then, such as when Danna was slated to do HULK. Or even Shore on LORD OF THE RINGS. Or Johnny Greenwood on THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Etc, etc.

Or Randy Edelman on The Mummy 3. Or Klaus Badelt of Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Vangelis on Alexander.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What about the MUCH ABLE composers who are out there - older and younger, and have a WIDE, RICH MUSICAL CANVAS, proven, and get no (significant) work these days?

They should be used TOO! But there's room enough to give oddball composers a chance on new territory now and then, such as when Danna was slated to do HULK. Or even Shore on LORD OF THE RINGS. Or Johnny Greenwood on THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Etc, etc.

Or Randy Edelman on The Mummy 3. Or Klaus Badelt of Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Vangelis on Alexander.

-Erik-

I don't think any of those would qualify as "oddball assignments", irrespective of how successful or not they were. Edelman has done adventure, Badelt is a good proponent of the Zimmer sound (which is what they were going after for PIRATES) and Vangelis has done historical epics before. I also happen to like the latter two, in particular (can't remember much of MUMMY 3).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    ...and Vangelis has done historical epics before.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...and Vangelis has done historical epics before.

biggrin

To quote Sunil: "I don't get it? What's so funny?"
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was just reminded of the amusement I felt at Vangelis's attempts to score historical epics! (Lovely albums, though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I was just reminded of the amusement I felt at Vangelis's attempts to score historical epics! (Lovely albums, though.)

I don't know. I thought THE BOUNTY was brilliant (especially the moody opening titles). Same for 1492.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I don't know. I thought THE BOUNTY was brilliant (especially the moody opening titles). Same for 1492.

Southall wrote
    (Lovely albums, though.)

That's probably why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, I meant how they worked in the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I haven't seen The Bounty - I was only really thinking of 1492 and Alexander. Not great films anyway (to put it mildly), but neither had any chance at all with those scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

That's just crazy talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

That's just crazy talk.

Nah. They work beautifully. Both are highly stylized films that benefit from his moody synthscapes. I think both THE BOUNTY and 1492 are highly underrated as FILMS as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I loved The Bounty as a movie (how Gibson and Hopkins play off each other, too), seen it I think twice and I agree that the Vangelis score works very well there.

I don't remember 1492.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't remember 1492.

Count yourself lucky!

(The other Columbus film from the same time was even worse though. Can't remember its name.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't remember 1492.

Count yourself lucky!

(The other Columbus film from the same time was even worse though. Can't remember its name.)

Yeah, CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY. Has a fantastic score by Cliff Eidelman, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Southall wrote

I'd say GREAT albums, the man has a touch for that kind of music; not too sure about film music however, although 1492 worked very good in the messy film.
  3. I've always loved the BLADE RUNNER score. I think that film in general is the peak of what Scott has brought to cinema in a lot of ways.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. and made all the crew hate him biggrin

It is so immersing, indeed. The way Scott PULLS us in the film's word (which is something he achieves even in his lesser movie - he's just the master of the first shot)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

That's just crazy talk.

Nah. They work beautifully. Both are highly stylized films that benefit from his moody synthscapes. I think both THE BOUNTY and 1492 are highly underrated as FILMS as well.

I agree with you Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited
    The first trailer for Ridley Scott´s Robin Hood is online, and if it´s any indication of what to expect from the score, I already know what certain people will say about it. Only this time, I´ll probably agree. I found the hard rock approach to be a fitting stroke for Iron Man, and 300 was agreeable because it was kind of stylish and new, but this is sacrilegious and definitely not what I want from an Hood movie. The visuals are great, as was to be expected, but this choice of music sucks big time. When I heard Streitenfeld was going to do it and saw that he got a lot of sighs from this board, I stood up against that and gave that choice the benefit of the doubt, because I thought he might do things differently than usual, but this trailer leaves me worried indeed, and I have to apologize to you, guys. I really, really hope Streitenfeld will incorporate at least some classic orchestral stuff where it belongs; should that happen, I think I can live with it, as I lived with what they did to Ladyhawke because of the beautiful orchestral moments, but honestly, this is over the edge even for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The first trailer for Ridley Scott´s Robin Hood is online, and if it´s any indication of what to expect from the score, I already know what certain people will say about it. Only this time, I´ll probably agree. I found the hard rock approach to be a fitting stroke for Iron Man, and 300 was agreeable because it was kind of stylish and new, but this is sacrilegious and definitely not what I want from an Hood movie. The visuals are great, as was to be expected, but this choice of music sucks big time. When I heard Streitenfeld was going to do it and saw that he got a lot of sighs from this board, I stood up against that and gave that choice the benefit of the doubt, but this trailer leaves me worried indeed, and I have to apologize to you, guys. I really, really hope Streitenfeld will incorporate at least some classic orchestral stuff where it belongs; should that happen, I think I can live with it, as I lived with what they did to Ladyhawke, but honestly, this is over the edge even for me.

Hmmm....interesting. It does look a bit like "GLADIATOR GOES TO NOTTINGHAM FOREST", but quite promising.

As for the music, well I'm not sure this is from the actual score. And even if it is, it doesn't necessarily have to be out-of-place. If the film calls for it, then it may be appropriate. We have to remember that even orchestral, romantic music is equally "out-of-date" when you think about it. It's just that we're used to it because of convention, and I - for one - like it when they break with convention. I thought A KNIGHT'S TALE was a cool experiment, for example, as was THE SCORPION KING. Or Horner's synth score for IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE. I'm also an avid defender of LADYHAWKE.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Don´t get me wrong here. I know this is only the trailer, and we could still be in for a big surprise, but I think the trailer transcends what Scott wants the movie to be (if not, we´re all wrong anyway). And I´m all for breaking conventions; it´s just that it has already been done, including the examples you mentioned, and thus it is slowly getting conventional to go against convention, if you get what I mean. It´s hardly original anymore. I agree that what we´re used to hear in Robin Hood movies isn´t exactly fitting for a 12th century movie at all, but I thought parts of the Kingdom of Heaven score did a nice job to at least honour the musical legacy of that time. Maybe Scott was afraid his Robin Hood would be seen as just another Kingdom of Heaven, and wanted to seperate them from each other as best as he could (though in my mind, RH is already a kind of sequel to KoH, not only because of the timeframe).

I´m open to new things, as most of you know, and I loved, for example, very much what Clannad did with Robin of Sherwood. But I´m too much a RH geek to not feel a headache building up while watching the trailer. Believe me, I want this movie to be great, and to be a great hit, too. I just doubt that going electric will do the trick for me. On the other hand, the overall reaction on the trailer site seems to be good. Maybe the time is right for an all-out "bad ass" RH. We´ll just have to wait and see. And listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    Another typical Marc Streitenfield score then? Which sounds like an IRON MAN wanna-be? With the noisy electric guitar noise again? Hurray! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    Did he have anything to do with the choice of music in the trailer? It sounds more like the studio used the rock thing just to make it clear that protagonist is a bad-ass protagonist. I mean, chances are slim for a teenage movie-goer to consider a movie bad-ass upon hearing some majestic, heroic orchestral fanfare at this time and date after all. Reading some of those comments on that page, it seems it did its job well on that ground.