• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Indeed. Very true point there Thomas.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    But ... but ... so harsh! He's WSA Discovery of the Year, remember! That has to mean something!
    Kazoo
  1. No... she love this score, and I would like to give it to her as a birthday gift... Is it possible to find it somewhere?
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Oh. I just read that he is scoring Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Ridley, Ridley... I honestly thought your composer choices simply couldn't get any worse. Your inexplicable fondness for this composer has proved me wrong.

I'm not familiar with Streitenfeld's music. What's wrong with him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sylvos wrote
    Southall wrote
    Oh. I just read that he is scoring Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Ridley, Ridley... I honestly thought your composer choices simply couldn't get any worse. Your inexplicable fondness for this composer has proved me wrong.

He's not Michael Kamen, John Barry, or Erich Wolfgang Korngold!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sylvos wrote
    Southall wrote

Nothing, really. I loved his "Frank's theme" from AMERICAN GANGSTER. I think he shows promise and it will be interesting to see how he evolves as his body of work increases.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Needless to say, I disagree. I thought it was interesting that Ridley Scott went with primarily score not songs for American Gangster - not necessarily the obvious choice - but very disappointing that the score was so bland. I thought the score was one of the things really holding the film back from becoming as good as it might have been. Ironically, I've often found in the past that the music in Scott's films is so disarmingly up-front it doesn't work very well (certainly the case with most of his 90s films, I think) - and now he's gone to the other extreme with Streitenfeld, whose music is very much content to sit in the background and not really do much at all. I wish Scott could find a happy medium!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bland is really the word that describes American Gangster. It had no personality whatsoever. I prefer the very in your face Scott direction of the early years than the total lack and absence of musicianship and enjoyment in these new scores. I don't know, he might be a good beer buddy for Scott, but really, he has to open up his ears, listen and choose someone else for the scoring duties.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In my opinion, there wasn't anything "in-your-face" with Scott's earlier work either. In fact, they're some of the most organically integrated scores I can think of. I'd have to re-watch AMERICAN GANGSTER and A GOOD YEAR (or whatever the title was) to give a proper evaluation of the music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thought you liked Body of Lies Demetris? I like it as well, the main theme is rather cool and odd.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009 edited
    Is there actually any Streitenfeld score out there that comes even close to what he has to do for the Hood movie thematically that would actually help us to decide whether he is good for this particular job or not?

Who knows, the time and setting of the movie might make him do things differently. I suggest we wait for the actual score before we strap it on the table and torture it to death before it´s even born.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I thought you liked Body of Lies Demetris? I like it as well, the main theme is rather cool and odd.

Yeah, i like that indeed, a very bright exception but i reckon it's mostly due to my love for middle-eastern colored scores and middle-eastern music in general. Well, let's wait and see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Is there actually any Streitenfeld score out there that comes even close to what he has to do for the Hood movie thematically that would actually help us to decide whether he is good for this particular job or not?

Who knows, the time and setting of the movie might make him do things differently. I suggest we wait for the actual score before we strap it on the table and torture it to death before it´s even born.

Absolutely, well said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So we should EMBRACE the fact that the film will be scored by someone who has never shown any aptitude for this sort of thing and has no experience of it? Oh, OK then.

I don't think either Donald Rumsfeld or Franz Beckenbauer has ever scored a film like Robin Hood either, so perhaps Ridley should have given the job to one of them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Southall wrote
    So we should EMBRACE the fact that the film will be scored by someone who has never shown any aptitude for this sort of thing and has no experience of it? Oh, OK then.

I don't think either Donald Rumsfeld or Franz Beckenbauer has ever scored a film like Robin Hood either, so perhaps Ridley should have given the job to one of them?

So we don´t want to give a composer a chance just because he hasn´t composed stuff like this before?

We do not hire composers who´ve had no experience yet? But how can they get it then?

I hope you see where I´m getting to with this.

BTW, maybe Streitenfeld begged Scott to give him the opportunity to score a big medieval adventure movie to show a different side of his. Cutthroat Island, anybody? Who would have thought of that before it happened?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People, you're completely dismissing objective criteria. We all have ears and listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    So where are the soundclips from the new Robin Hood movie to listen to?

Or are you seriously suggesting that a composer can´t rise to a different challenge?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    We've listened to what he's done so far. And we've seen the movies he scored. To suggest that this isn't EVEN PARTLY evidence of his knowledge or in fact, the possible limits of it and his ability, is at least illogical to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    So he has written bad contemporal thriller scores (which BTW is, again, a matter of personal taste), and that makes him a bad medieval adventure composer, too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd rather see what makes him such a great composer in your ears, other than me repeating the same arguments. After all, the score will come and then we can talk again about it.

As for your argument, the thriller scores, let me remind you what people like Goldsmith did with horrible such films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Southall wrote

So we don´t want to give a composer a chance just because he hasn´t composed stuff like this before?

We do not hire composers who´ve had no experience yet? But how can they get it then?

I hope you see where I´m getting to with this.

BTW, maybe Streitenfeld begged Scott to give him the opportunity to score a big medieval adventure movie to show a different side of his. Cutthroat Island, anybody? Who would have thought of that before it happened?

I absolutely agree with the point you are making, I think, but I also think it's fair to ask "why Streitenfeld?"

Most people who end up scoring big movies do so because they build up experience on smaller films and display how good they are at them. How has this guy managed to do it? It's baffling to me. Being disappointed that he is the chosen composer is not the same thing as saying his score will be bad. I'm certainly not doing that - who knows, perhaps his ability to score swashbuckling action films will be in completely inverse proportion to his ability to score gangster films. But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that composers who HAVE shown aptitude in the past at scoring films are left doing direct-to-video Disney sequels while someone who has connections in the right place but has never shown any particular ability to write film music of any kind is scoring one of the year's biggest movies.
  2. Goldsmith had his share of really bad thriller scores, didn´t he? At least I never see Criminal Law on anyone´s Goldsmith Top 100 list.

And I never said MS is a great composer. Actually, I said nothing at all about him. Please read more carefully in the future. wink The fact is, I don´t know a single note from him (AFAIR). Which is my point exactly. I like to judge each score by its own, and with Hood, I will be able to do exactly that.
  3. Southall wrote
    I absolutely agree with the point you are making, I think, but I also think it's fair to ask "why Streitenfeld?"

Absolutely. Of course I would have loved to hear a Robin Hood score by Zimmer, or by JNH, or by Desplat or Debney. But that´s not what we´ll get, so I´m all for waiting what will happen.

Who knows, maybe he and Scott have become great personal friends. May be the only reason.

It wouldn´t be the first director/composer relationship that didn´t satisfy the enthusiasts (Yates/Hooper).

Oh, BTW, I watched "Einstein & Eddington" this weekend. It had a GREAT, rich and thematic score by ... HOOPER!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

YES WE SHOULD!! Absolutely. If we only gave assignments to people who have trodden the same territory before, the artform would be AWFULLY reactionary and stale!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What about the MUCH ABLE composers who are out there - older and younger, and have a WIDE, RICH MUSICAL CANVAS, proven, and get no (significant) work these days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

YES WE SHOULD!! Absolutely. If we only gave assignments to people who have trodden the same territory before, the artform would be AWFULLY reactionary and stale!

If only Giorgio Moroder had scored Empire Strikes Back instead of Williams going over old territory. If only Miklos Rozsa had scored The Rock instead of Zimmer going over old territory. Etc etc. What a peculiar argument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    What about the MUCH ABLE composers who are out there - older and younger, and have a WIDE, RICH MUSICAL CANVAS, proven, and get no (significant) work these days?

They should be used TOO! But there's room enough to give oddball composers a chance on new territory now and then, such as when Danna was slated to do HULK. Or even Shore on LORD OF THE RINGS. Or Johnny Greenwood on THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Etc, etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

If only Giorgio Moroder had scored Empire Strikes Back instead of Williams going over old territory. If only Miklos Rozsa had scored The Rock instead of Zimmer going over old territory. Etc etc. What a peculiar argument.

Not really. It's only about being open to new impulses.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My friend, being the collaborator of RIDLEY SCOTT doesn't constitute a change on new territory now and then. It's something that, normally - should be earned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    My friend, being the collaborator of RIDLEY SCOTT doesn't constitute a change on new territory now and then. It's something that, normally - should be earned.

If Scott likes him enough and is pleased with the work he does on his films, he's earned it, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.