• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    slant

-Erik-

Same slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    i have bought the ROBIN HOOD score on saturday and i have to say for me it's a very good composition. streitenfeld composed an orchestral score with lots of solo instruments and solo vocals. the music is no "happy adventure score". it sounds dark and harsh with a celtic touch. the score is no gladiator/RCP rip off. the music is epic but not bombastic. it's more like kingdom of heaven. streitenfeld wrote several themes for the characters and situations. the most interesting theme is the villain theme. robin's theme is also very good, especially in the "celtic" version. i think the tone of the score fits perfect to movie and i'm glad, that i bought this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited
    Well, I just returned from a press screening of ROBIN HOOD, and I can't say I agree with you, Lars. I found it totally underwhelming. Part Philipp Glass ostinatos for the action scenes, part second rate Zimmer's DA VINCI CODE (the ostinatos with the major-minor shifts, in particular). There really isn't much to latch on to, musically, and it's basically just part of this intense "wall of sound" that actually made me cover my ears on several occasions.

The film itself was so-so too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i haven't seen the movie yet, so i can't say for sure that the music works with the pictures but i think for me the score will work. i also have to say that the action tracks aren't that spectacular but i am happy that the music is performed by an orchestra and you can hear that. there are no electronics. i also like the themes, which marc has composed. i like the orchestration and the instrumentation. here is no bombastic gladiator/king arthur score. there is no mish mash of orchestra and electronics. you can hear the orchestra and you can hear every single instrument. i really like this score and on cd for me it sounds amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marc hasn't proven so far he can actually go past the wallpaper sound thingy many rc composers are suffering from; or maybe he doesn't care, since the wallet's filled.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. This is everything but wallpaper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tqEnKbQ6RA
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    This is everything but wallpaper:

This isn't either then
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6S3c7f8XA

wink
    Kazoo
  2. Come on, every second irish tune sounds like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    This is everything but wallpaper:

I'm not denying that the music itself has certain qualities here and there. It's in context with the movie that it drowns out everything (and is drowned out itself).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    It's much better than I thought it would be, at least from what I've heard of the album. I like "Merry Men." Not incredible, but enjoyable. I still think Marc was a strange choice for this film, but he did better than expected.
  3. Review of the score:

- Robin Hood
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    Agree. smile

Btw, when you wrote this:

"In fact, if you look at the career of Streitenfeld, it's surprising to discover he has been scoring almost nothing but Ridley Scott Movies since then. The only exception is Welcome to the Rileys of 2010."

I made this observation:

Welcome to the Rileys......."Rileys"........."Ridley" biggrin

Seriously though, we had Haslinger and Bates (thankfully moved onto lower, b-movies and / or relatively vanished compared to the spree of new scores a couple of years back) and now we got the Djawadis and the Streitenfields. I say time to move on too, give place to people who are perhaps musically better equipped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Although I think Marc's Robin Hood score is fairly good by his standards, it's an enormous wasted opportunity especially when we compare it to scores like Gladiator and KOH. I'm really curious why Ridley Scott chose this particular guy of all the composers there for his projects, especially when he already had much superior composers like HGW to do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or Zimmer. What was wrong with that collaboration? Of course he wouldn't be the top choice among all those excellent and overlooked composers like Edward Shearmur for instance, but still anything he'd write would most probably be far more interesting than SF at his best (which best btw?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm, complaining Streitenfeld isn't up to the level of Goldsmith and Kamen is rather unfair, especially if you remember this is his first blockbuster movie where the score really has to be pushed to the forefront. And Scott 'n Crowe are hardly trying to achieve the Gladiator feel, the tone of Robin Hood is vastly different.

Streitenfeld, in my opinion, makes some very good choices: themes, motifs, fully orchestral sound; everything we complain is missing in modern filmscoring nowadays, its here. Yet Marc lacks the experience to make it memorable and give it an emotional weight that the film needs. And, true, that is a problem. But its not like he isn't trying.

I like his themes (its weird to say he got these chord progressions from Transformers, since its not exactly something Jablonsky invented) and Merry Men is an incredibly addictive track, as are several others from the score. Hardly top notch, and yes, Zimmer and other experienced composers could've done more with this, but there certainly is potential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, when you wrote this:

"In fact, if you look at the career of Streitenfeld, it's surprising to discover he has been scoring almost nothing but Ridley Scott Movies since then. The only exception is Welcome to the Rileys of 2010."

I made this observation:

Welcome to the Rileys......."Rileys"........."Ridley" biggrin

Well, Welcome to the Rileys is directed by Jake Scott... jup, "son of..." wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, forget the old and great.

Anything by Giacchino, Shearmur, Rombi, Desplat, Cliff Eidelman,Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, Don Davis, Mark McKenzie, Jane Antonia Cornish or even Brian Tyler would be vastly more interesting than what Sf does and he hasn't even prooven himself to deserve such big assignments, all big wastes.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Hmm, complaining Streitenfeld isn't up to the level of Goldsmith and Kamen is rather unfair, especially if you remember this is his first blockbuster movie where the score really has to be pushed to the forefront. And Scott 'n Crowe are hardly trying to achieve the Gladiator feel, the tone of Robin Hood is vastly different.

I picked Kamen because he wrote one of the greatest Robin Hood scores, I pick Goldsmith always because even his inferior scores held much more esteem than this one

problem is, once you pair Scott and Crowe in an epic action movie like this, you'll always get referrences to Gladiator, that's the way I approached it

anyway, Streitenfeld's score is simply simplistic if you compare it with so much that was written before it
  5. Look, this is just me obviously, but I think this guy's ROBIN HOOD score is actually pretty good, and it's stronger composition than GLADIATOR. Flame on, boys.

I couldn't help but burst out laughing when someone suggested that Brian Tyler was demonstrably better than this. Look, this is no score for the ages, but outrageous hyperbole helpeth not the case ye make.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited
    Ah, the smell of smug in the air wink

You aren't free of hyperboles either, with the 'burst out laughing' comment and the third person references wink That someone is right here and you can also address me directly wink You're overestimating the movie my friend, it's a Ridley Scott swords and scandals epic; it's inferior to Gladiator. It didn't need a composition of higher values (in any case i don't think Streitenfield goes beyond dry chord repetitions and simplistic orchestrations / arrangements in any part of the score anyway) but something that would at least elevate it via strong and bold themes, which Gladiator did have. Yes, it might have been rough at points and the action cues weren't exactly refined, but Robin Hood even lacks the bold thematic statements that helped elevate that movie and make it something people remember.

As for Brian Tyler, yeah, i do believe the general feeling here is that he delivers much more interesting stuff than Streitenfield usually, and especially his Children of Dune score or something similar at least, although unoriginal, would fit such a movie, imo.
  6. Does anyone know if Robin Hood is going to be available as a download? A lot of Varese's titles get released and downloads but this title seems to be one of the few that isn't released at the moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Look, this is just me obviously, but I think this guy's ROBIN HOOD score is actually pretty good, and it's stronger composition than GLADIATOR. Flame on, boys.

I couldn't help but burst out laughing when someone suggested that Brian Tyler was demonstrably better than this. Look, this is no score for the ages, but outrageous hyperbole helpeth not the case ye make.

Although I don't agree that it's stronger than Gladiator (there's nothing nearly as fun and exciting as 'The Battle' nor beautiful as 'Now We Are Free', to me at least), I do agree that it's not bad at all. Not great, certainly, but not bad either.

Also, I used to think that Tyler could be a composer to follow with keen interest - that is until he started to produce more scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does anyone know if Robin Hood is going to be available as a download?

You mean...legally? uhm
  7. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does anyone know if Robin Hood is going to be available as a download?

You mean...legally? uhm

I did actually - in an ideal world.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey.
  8. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Look, this is just me obviously, but I think this guy's ROBIN HOOD score is actually pretty good, and it's stronger composition than GLADIATOR. Flame on, boys.

Also, I used to think that Tyler could be a composer to follow with keen interest - that is until he started to produce more scores.

I am also of this experience.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, the smell of smug in the air wink

You aren't free of hyperboles either, with the 'burst out laughing' comment and the third person references wink

Surely not, my good man. It was to same you embarrassment that I didn't name you directly, and the laughter was genuine, I can assure you. wink
  10. franz_conrad wrote

when it comes to actual depth and development, Tyler is for me way better than Streitenfeld. Sadly Tyler has become a clone of his own work and rehashes everything time and time again (several strong dramatic works notwithstanding)

the problem with Robin Hood is, the more you hear music in general, the more you want to be inspired, surprised, wowed, and Robin Hood is so generic and simple it's hard to find even one of these 3

I'm glad you like it, but I think it's another wasted opportunity
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A couple of years back, or one, there was this BRIAN TYLER overload that indeed made people get bored of the same and same ol' tricks in his books. I am confident that with the general change of his attitude (anyone who's fb friends with him might have seen this), the lack of new scores and THE KILLING ROOM might be a hint that he's in fact taken a step back to review the whole thing, his music and career; generally, only good comes out of such cases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FACT. Tyler seemed bored for a while with the musical style he kept being asked to deliver, but he's refound himself with THE KILLING ROOM. Either this is once again one of those few scores that keep slipping in between that's completely different before returning to his usual style Ilike what happened with BUG), or he really changed. He also started producing films lately, which might trigger a new passion in him and make him score films he really loves to score. Can't wait to see what's coming out of that.