• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This needs to change.

I find that some alternating in listening styles keeps things fresh.
    I've gone in the last few weeks from a primary focus on entire scores to playlists and highlights, and it certainly makes me rediscover and reappreciate material.

I'm sure though that in some weeks I'll be listening to full albums again, with the same outcome.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Whatever Works

Every Woody Allen film is greeted with reviews that say "This is the best thing he's done since XYZ, at last he's back" and this was no different. I thought it was pretty wretched. Larry David - who I love - plays the "Woody Allen character" who gets married to a girl 40 years younger. It's meant to be a straight comedy but I don't think I laughed more than once (when he jumped out of a window and tried to kill himself).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    My boy loves the score to Tron Legacy. I've been the airport three times in the past 3 days and every time he has asked me to play the Tron score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    My boy loves the score to Tron Legacy. I've been the airport three time in the past 3 days and every time he has asked me to play the Tron score.

-Erik-

love beer <--milk wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    My boy loves the score to Tron Legacy. I've been the airport three time in the past 3 days and every time he has asked me to play the Tron score.

-Erik-

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... it's AWESOME!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    C-Man (1949)
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/c-man1949/

What an interesting score. Will try to put up a clip tomorrow. The movie is well a movie
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited
    What's up with Nicole Kidman? I caught a bit of AUSTRALIA last night, a film I've seen before but I'd forgotten how "startled" Kidman looks throughout it, has this once fine actress ruinned her abilities with too much face-filler?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    What's up with Nicole Kidman? I caught a bit of AUSTRALIA last night, a film I've seen before but I'd forgotten how "startled" Kidman looks throughout it, has this once fine actress ruinned her abilities with too much face-filler?

Don't watch 'The Invasion' then. Kidman is way more scarier than the film itself. How can you do that with your face?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pressures of Hollywood I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I haven`t seen it because i read it is terrible. Is it true ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

To be honest I quite enjoyed it, wonderful cinematography, a story that sucks you in and a score I thought was very good, I'm certainly going to get it. I wouldn't care about seeing it a second time but as a easy watch I can't complain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/d … oney-1946/

the walkie talkies with chop suey and pork chop are really good. Available for free.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

To be honest I quite enjoyed it, wonderful cinematography, a story that sucks you in and a score I thought was very good, I'm certainly going to get it. I wouldn't care about seeing it a second time but as a easy watch I can't complain.

I remember the score being very generic on cd, an amalgam of very different styles from all around the trend world of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree but there was something in it that resonated with me.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

if you're talking about Australia, it is a good film and it indeed has a story that sucks you in the moment you enter Luzman's world. As for The Invasion, I liked it too, but then I like those zombie / infested human like thrillers. I thought it was very predictable but at least captivating
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    Having had the last week off work, I've been doing marathons of Curb Your Enthusiasm; a show I had only ever caught the odd episode of on TV. I'm only just at the beginning of season three but, I have to say, it's one of the most hilarious shows I've ever seen. Just my sort of humour. Amazing that it's been going for over ten years and it's taken me this long to finally appreciate it. But I love it. I can see a lot of myself in Larry David's character. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Don't watch 'The Invasion' then. Kidman is way more scarier than the film itself. How can you do that with your face?

Strangely I had never heard of this movie before. The trailer looks alright. Think I'll see it.

In any case, I'm betting it will greatly superior to the atrocious 1993 version, and way inferior to the extraordinary 1978 version.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eh? What are you talking about Peter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer, having seen the trailer for "The invasion" with Nicole Kidman it's an obvious remake of "Invasion of the body snatchers", from 1978 (trailer). There was also a terrible remake in 1993 (trailer).

You haven't heard of these movies? If not, the '78 version is a must-see. One of my all-time favourite horror movies, only surpased by "The shining", "An american werewolf in London" and "The thing" ('82 version).

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer, having seen the trailer for "The invasion" with Nicole Kidman it's an obvious remake of "Invasion of the body snatchers", from 1978 (trailer). There was also a terrible remake in 1993 (trailer).

You haven't heard of these movies? If not, the '78 version is a must-see. One of my all-time favourite horror movies, only surpased by "The shining", "An american werewolf in London" and "The thing" ('82 version).

Peter smile

The 78 version is indeed fantastic with an utterly chilling and memorable ending. I didn't know there was a 93 version but I'll take your word and avoid it.

I think what confused me was that you didn't mention the 1950's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011 edited
    Indeed, what an ending. The "Amazing grace" piece makes it particularly memorable.

Ah, yes, there's the older one. I've never seen it though. Is it as good as the '78 remake?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Way way way way way way WAYYYYYYYYYY better.
    (And the '78 version is pretty darn good!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I wouldn't go as far as Martijn but yes, it's a brilliant film, cold war era film making at it's paranoid best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

I must admit I'm skeptical, but you've convinced me to see it.

On imdb I've rated the '78 version 10 out of 10, which is not exactly an easy score to beat.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011 edited
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207 … dium-1.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/ … 00x210.jpg

Amazing how inhuman they look. No fancy makeup or CGI. Just actors doing an excellent job. Wouldn't happen today. They'd do some stupid CGI that would open the mouth much more making it look fake instead of scary and real.

Peter shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That creepy human headed dog did me in when I first saw it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    Piranha (2010)

Appalling. Yet somehow magnificent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Piranha (2010)

Appalling. Yet somehow magnificent.

I saw this on DVD, I felt you could tell which bits were 3D, particularly the pneumatic Kelly Brook and her equally pneumatic underwater partner lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Kelly Brook

lick