• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I watched Creeping Flesh (1973) with Cushing and Lee last night. Pretty good film with a twist ending that I enjoyed. The score was never released.
    Tom smile

Good "old fashioned" horror, love this film.

Was he just insane Tim?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote
    A condom commercial is better thsn Skyline though.

Especially when it's one of those good commercials, with product demonstration and such.

Now we are talking.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011
    Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)

Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful...

I turned it off 30 minutes in.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Oh, I liked that one. I thought Tom Cruise was really funny in it. It was fun to see him in a role that spoofed so many of his other roles. Good thing you turned it off, though, because if you didn't like the first part, you would probably hate the ending. I though the last 1/4 of that movie got pretty dumb, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3/4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I didn't laugh once. I didn't mind the ridiculous over the top plot but IMO it insulted the viewers intelligence. Like I said with Battle: LA, there is nothing duller in a Hollywood action film then a lazy, uninspired shoot out scene. This film had about 500 in the first 30 minutes. I never felt that the main characters were in any sort of danger and the special effects were pants! John Powell even seems bored with that dull score he wrote.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I thought it succeeded for what it was. A stupid popcorn flick with bad jokes, a bit of romance sprinkled with some over-the-top action sequences, relying more on the looks and popular appeal of the actors than the storyline. You knew from the trailer exactly what it was, and anyone who watched it expecting not to be intellectually insulted only has himself to blame.

I can't remember if I laughed, but I found the entire experience mildly entertaining.

I rated it a 5 on imdb.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    I thought it succeeded for what it was. A stupid popcorn flick with bad jokes, a bit of romance sprinkled with some over-the-top action sequences, relying more on the looks and popular appeal of the actors than the storyline. You knew from the trailer exactly what it was, and anyone who watched it expecting not to be intellectually insulted only has himself to blame.

I blame poor script writers, poor story tellers and poor direction. I didn't see the trailers but going in thought it would be something along the lines of Mr and Mrs. Smith which I thought was excellent! But Knight and Day was nothing but bad jokes, bad special effects and bad action sequences.

I saw another similar styled film last week which was equally over the top and didn't take itself to seriously but made an effort too not low blow it's audience. The film was called Red!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011
    Scared to Death (1947) a mystery/comedy with Lugosi hamming it up all the way.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/s … wamp-1946/

For all of the hype this one got it was pretty dull.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Remains of the Day

Outstanding in every respect. Probably Anthony Hopkins's finest performance. Wonderful score. Are other Merchant/Ivory films this good? (It's the only one I've seen! shame)

Salt

Reasonable but very contrived action film. One or two fewer moments of absolute silliness and it would have been much better, I think. Score sounded more impressive in the film than I remembered from the CD - will have to give that another listen.

True Crime

Old-fashioned thriller, fairly predictable, but extremely watchable thanks to its actor/director.
  2. Southall wrote
    Salt

Reasonable but very contrived action film. One or two fewer moments of absolute silliness and it would have been much better, I think. Score sounded more impressive in the film than I remembered from the CD - will have to give that another listen.

the russian theme with choir when Salt gets her payback on the boat is quite impressive.

Tangled

pleasantly surprised by this. Stunning animation, love-able characters, good songs, and some nice surprising twists and humor. Very nice smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited
    Splice

Meh. Expected more, since I'd heard good things about it.

Rating: 5

Thor

Pretty cool, but predictable. The effects make this movie. The storyline is typical.

Rating: 6

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Enjoyed this from start to finish.

Rating: 7

Seven Years in Tibet

Loooong-winded. I'm not sure I enjoyed it much, but it was a well-made film I don't regret watching. Williams' music is brilliant of course.

Buried

Unique concept. I quite enjoyed this[spoiler], though the part when the lawyer called him was rather unrealistic. Sad ending. *sigh* But sad endings make it more memorable I guess,[/spoiler]

Rating: 7

White Oleander

Not bad, but rather long-winded and not very exciting.

Van Helsing

Stupid. But kinda enjoyable. Best watched with popcorn and a switched off brain.

Days of Heaven

Most beautiful movie I've ever seen, with lots of atmosphere, but also one of the dullest movies I've ever seen. Morricone's score was magical whenever it played.

The New World

Well made, but not too exciting.

Rango

Meh. I liked that it was spaghetti western based, and Zimmer's music had some nice moments. Not many funny jokes though and the story has been told numerous times before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Days of Heaven

Most beautiful movie I've ever seen, with lots of atmosphere, but also one of the dullest movies I've ever seen. Morricone's score was magical whenever it played.

I've only seen this once and it was perhaps my least favourite Malick but it is, as you say, simply stunning to look at (and listen to). Must see it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful...

-Erik-

One question: why do you do this to yourself?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    btw: the score's pretty horrible too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    btw: the score's pretty horrible too.

Nah
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011
    I enjoy both quite a lot. The score was one of my most played in 2010.
  3. Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Days of Heaven

I've only seen this once and it was perhaps my least favourite Malick but it is, as you say, simply stunning to look at (and listen to). Must see it again.

Gentlemen! It's wonderful!
    (Perhaps knowing the Biblical tale of Abraham and the Pharaoh helps. It was a point of inspiration for Malick, I think.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't say it wasn't wonderful - only that it was my least favourite Malick. It's a pretty high scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One word... wife!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Gentlemen! It's wonderful!
    (Perhaps knowing the Biblical tale of Abraham and the Pharaoh helps. It was a point of inspiration for Malick, I think.)

Yes, it's probably the kind of movie that will improve on further viewing. I think what I enjoyed most was the old fashioned machines and how accurately the time period seemed portrayed. Coupled with the gorgeous shots and the music it had a great atmosphere. I never really got into the story or very interested in the characters though which is essential for me when I watch movies.

I didn't know that Malick was inspired by a Bible story. Will read more about it which might make me appreciate his intentions more. Somewhere in Genesis I assume?

Peter smile
  4. Yeah, the story of Abraham is in Genesis.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Yeah, it's only a chapter or so, but that film could be considered Malick's extension of that anecdote to see what emotions might have lain behind it. Much in the way Milton comes in on the side of the devil when he relates the temptation in Paradise Lost, Malick makes the Pharaoh more of a sympathetic figure in Sam Shephard's farmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interesting, franz. I'll keep that in mind.

I was kinda asking because I wanted to hear exactly where to find the specific verses. I haven't read the Bible for at least 1½ decade so I can't remember where to find most of the stories, and there are 50 chapters in Genesis so that's alot to search through to find the story you're thinking of.

Peter smile
  6. Ah, here ya go:
    http://www.jesuswalk.com/abraham/2_abduction.htm

Not sure what website that is, so hope it doesn't offend sensibilities. It's the Gen 12 reading that is most relevant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One word... wife!

-Erik-

Oh , i feel you my friend. smile Although i have trained mine (should i say: forbidden? wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    SUPER 8

The film was a lot of fun. A wonderful mix of The Monster Squad meets E.T. meets The Goonies meet Explorers. I expected a bit more of a pay off during the last act a la E.T. but it was still a fantastic throw back to the 80's summer blockbuster.

Some one on my Facebook account mentioned that the train wreck was the best since The Fugitive. The train wreck was Ok. What made The Fugitive train derailment so good was that it was all done with practical effects. Super 8's was CGI to the max which made it less believable however what impressed me the most about it was the incredible sound design and editing.

Giacchino's score was serviceable but mostly forgettable. There's one theme that he uses over and over and over and over again which got very annoying. The bad guy motif is pretty much his bad guy theme from Secret Weapons Over Normandy. And while I expected more of a flourish to the end of the film Giacchino went down the restrained "Lost" route which was rather disappointing to me.

I don't know how anyone could compare this score to anything Williams wrote for a Spielberg film. This is actually Giacchino doing Giacchino.

-Erik-
  7. the film is a lot of fun, good enough for me. Can't wait to see it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, here ya go:
    http://www.jesuswalk.com/abraham/2_abduction.htm

Not sure what website that is, so hope it doesn't offend sensibilities. It's the Gen 12 reading that is most relevant.

Thanks. Ah, yes, I can see the clear parrallel. It does indeed seem like this story served as inspiration for Malick. Interesting stuff.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    Jungle Man starring Buster Crabbe. Not worth wasting an hour of your time.
    Tom smile