• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited
    D-Day To Berlin

A brilliant 3 part drama/documentary on BBC 2 narrated by Sean Bean detailing the actions leading to D-Day and the push to Berlin, great use of music from period marches and songs to the usual ( but appropriate ) use of music from Vaughan Williams and Arvo Part.

And now it's Have I Got News For You which I missed last night, well needed after such a harrowing program cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011 edited
    Just got back from: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: LIVE IN CONCERT

Woohoo! Awesome experience, to hear the full score of Fellowship of the Ring played nearly perfect with big orchestra, 2 choirs and solo vocals! On many occasions, they nailed the exact sound of the score, and at other times, like the Mordor theme, it was even harsher and bigger than on the official recording! After Ubeda, the best rendition of a film score I've heard live! (sorry Gent... this is better).

I went with friends of which one of them never saw the full film and just went for the music (with the motto 'at least it'll be fun among friends'), but is now also converted to score and film. All in all, a VERY succesful evening! Also bought the Music from the LotR Films book by Doug Adams, after another ladyfriend of me (who isn't nearly as much into the music or the films as I am) bought it on the spot after seeing it there as well! Crazy!

After the concert, we spent another hour in line just to secure tickets for The Two Towers event next year, now with a group that's almost 4 times the size of our 4-person group this year, because all my friends wanted to bring more friends as well, they were that blown away! Can't wait!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011
    Lighting the beacons eh Bob? cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, quite some beacons were lit last night biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Iron Man 2

Nothing like as good as the first, but I still thought it was OK. Scarlett Johansson is outrageously sexy in it and perhaps that's all that matters.

Shutter Island

This had the feeling of vintage Scorsese. I don't think I've been so impressed by one of his films since Bringing out the Dead. Everything about it is done so impressively. Once again I face the uncomfortable truth with a film by a favourite director - no original score could have been as good as the music he used here. (Maybe Herrmann or Bernstein at the prime - sadly no longer an option.)
  1. Southall wrote
    Shutter Island

This had the feeling of vintage Scorsese. I don't think I've been so impressed by one of his films since Bringing out the Dead. Everything about it is done so impressively. Once again I face the uncomfortable truth with a film by a favourite director - no original score could have been as good as the music he used here. (Maybe Herrmann or Bernstein at the prime - sadly no longer an option.)

I felt this was fantastic. And I agree, his best film since BRINGING OUT THE DEAD.
    I think the latter fact had something to do with the fact that it was a film about a guilty man. It used to be a Scorsese speciality, but his last few characters (Matt Damon aside in Departed) haven't really had something to feel guilty about.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Iron Man 2

Nothing like as good as the first, but I still thought it was OK. Scarlett Johansson is outrageously sexy in it and perhaps that's all that matters.

Shutter Island

Richter's music in there was exceptional and the selection from the other composers too. I wouldn't change a note. The movie was very powerful too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with the comments on SHUTTER ISLAND, I loved the film.

Home Alone 2 : Lost In New York

This was on Channel 4 ( in June, yeah, me neither ), I like John Williams score but had only ever seen the first one. This was mildly entertaining.

p.s. Is it just me or would others have liked to see the bad guys to have choked the life out of precocious brat Culkin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011
    A nice little thriller called Inner Sanctum (1948)
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited
    Watched this late last night...

THE GIANT CLAW ( 1957 )

I hadn't seen this since I was in junior school biggrin

It's about a giant anti-matter space bird Turkey that eats aeroplanes, trains and beatnik teenagers in hotrods and then attacks New York munching, amongst other things, the Empire State Building ( I never knew the Empire State Building was made of cardboard? You learn something new every day! ), it's indestructable until Jeff Morrow invents some waffled hokum gun that negates it's anti-matter powers so it can be killed with some poor special effects, it stars Jeff Morrow ( of This Island Earth fame ), Mara Corday and has special guest star Gonzo from The Muppet Show playing the giant space bird Turkey.

Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    It's about a giant anti-matter space bird Turkey that eats aeroplanes, trains and beatnik teenagers in hotrods...

That's just about all the encouragement I need.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Make sure you are very, very drunk!
  2. The Giant Claw? I would much rather watch The Hooded Claw. And his fiendish capers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Giant Claw? I would much rather watch The Hooded Claw. And his fiendish capers.

biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuEqy2VenoY
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

THE GIANT CLAW ( 1957 )

It's about a giant anti-matter space bird Turkey that eats aeroplanes, trains and beatnik teenagers in hotrods and then attacks New York munching, amongst other things, the Empire State Building ( I never knew the Empire State Building was made of cardboard? You learn something new every day! ), it's indestructable until Jeff Morrow invents some waffled hokum gun that negates it's anti-matter powers so it can be killed with some poor special effects, it stars Jeff Morrow ( of This Island Earth fame ), Mara Corday and has special guest star Gonzo from The Muppet Show playing the giant space bird Turkey.

Recommended.

Jurassic Park eat yer heart out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IeSgSSY4yQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

omg

CHOMP!

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

THE GIANT CLAW ( 1957 )

Recommended.

oh my god biggrin

nicely made though tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    DEXTER ( Season 4 )

Finally catching up and making my way through season 4, this is hotting up to be the best so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Season 4 has the best bad guy but I still consider season 2 to be the best season of TV I've ever seen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Anne is still waiting for Dexter (Season 4) to be shown on TV here.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Season 4 has the best bad guy but I still consider season 2 to be the best season of TV I've ever seen!

-Erik-

Season 2 was superb. I still have 6 episodes to watch of Season 4, really enjoying it and wondering which direction it'll go in, and yeah, great bad guy in John Lithgow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anne is still waiting for Dexter (Season 4) to be shown on TV here.

I was really pissed that Channel 4 let the show go after showing only the 1st Season.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anne is still waiting for Dexter (Season 4) to be shown on TV here.

I was really pissed that Channel 4 let the show go after showing only the 1st Season.

I think it was ITV?

I love Dexter. I thought season 4 had already been on? Just checked and it has! Season 5 starts on FX in a couple of weeks...

Thought the first two seasons were exceptional, third not so much, but really picked up again in the fourth with Lithgow who is brilliant in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree. Season two was PERFECT. Season four is very close though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011
    A bit of Amazon shopping...

NIGHT OF THE DEMON

One of the best horror films ever made and also one of my all time favourite films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah

That's it. I'm getting that one too. Now. I've been TOO dependent on BBC late night TV for this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011 edited
    TRON: Legacy

I enjoyed this one far more than I thought I might!
    It's visually beautiful. Absolutely stunning photography and sets: a great update of the old cyber-environment.
    Blah plot, but all the fun elements combined makes that take a firm backseat anyway, so why carp?

Jeff Bridges seems to be channeling The Dude most of the time, but it's great seeing him in the role...and his cyber-counterpart is incredibly well done. Really. Some of the very best animation/CGI I have ever seen.
    4/5

The music is f*cking awesome.
    4.5/5

Edited for small but embarassing typo. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Neverwhere
    BBC miniseries based on the Neil Gaiman novel (with additionl writing credits to ...Lenny henry! shocked ) about an accountant accidentally landing in a world that coexists with ours...but that somehow "normal" people cannot see, or better: that normal people ignore. A world inhabited by homeless, street people and other fringe folk that the man in the streets prefers "not to see".

Clever notion, and it's not bad...but the overall impression is one of people dressing up and walking around in disused Red Dwarf sets. It's a series from 1996, but the look and feel is almost early eighties! Very disconcerting! Clearly the BBC's budget (and computing power) has massively improved the decade following.

Overall I have to say I enjoyed the book way better.

2.5/5

Utterly ineffectual electronic score by Brian Eno

1/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ashes To Ashes

Alex Drake, police officer and mother of daughter Molly, is shot and in her near-death experience is transfered to 1982.
    For those having seen Life On Mars, we know what that means: a renewed visit to the world of DCI Hunt, now working for the London Met, in the grim and gritty early eighties.

I'm now in the middle of Season 2, and I'm enjoying this massively.
    No, it's not as powerfully moving or impressive as Life On Mars, but the change to a female protagonist, and the completely different interaction as a result is a huge credit to the writers. The scripts and dialogues are absolutely solid. The look and feel of the eighties is fantastically well done (up to and including the title theme sequence), and the acting is superb!

An additoinal shout should definitely go out to the people having created the menu options on the DVD set.
    Each season has its own menu type: season one allows you to access the options from a vintage video game set-up (When I say Outrun, only those having grown up in the eighties will understand). Season one opens the old Videotext (Ceefax/Teletext), and you can actually open some of the pages (which of course only give 1982 news. Such as some news on Michael Jackson's exciting new hit "Thriller".) Excellent fun! applause

So far 4.5/5

The soundtrack, as with Life On Mars, is 99% period pop music. Very effective, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    yeah

That's it. I'm getting that one too. Now. I've been TOO dependent on BBC late night TV for this one.

Same here Martijn, same here! I would say something along the lines of our shared superlative taste in this film but instead we should both bow our heads in shame that neither of us had ever owned it shame

I like your review of ASHES TO ASHES, spot on. I must buy the box sets soon.