• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Well, the movies I've seen recently:

On the film channel How To Train Your Dragon. Twice. Enjoyed it a lot!
    Watched it with my hubby a while ago, then last week with my kids. The music is great too.

Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang. Cute. Better than I expected from a part two.

Date Night. In the evening I like to watch comedies that are nice for age 6+ or 9+ as well so the kids can watch it too. When you read the story it sounds like yet another stupid comedy, but it was actually fun. With Tina Fey and Steve Carell. Had some really good jokes! And even a sweet story to it as well.

Then in the cinema: Rio!
    Awesome. The opening put tears in my eyes really! With all the colours, the music and we saw it in 3D.

Kung Fu Panda 2. Also in 3D. Very nice.

You know I've noticed that (animated) movies come up with very interesting maintitles or end credits. Really arty stuff. For instance Nanny McPhee 2ends with the movie characters in paper / origami kind of style. Kung Fu Panda 2starts of with that beautiful Azian shadow play and ends with playful drawings of Poo's life. Very creative. End titles from How To Train Your Dragon are also beautiful with the dragon drawings. I really love that kind of stuff!
  1. I saw Tree of Life for the second time today. And this time, the ending resonated with me even more. 'Guide us, to the end of time...'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    On DVD

MONSTERS

Brilliant! I enjoyed it, the film makers got a great holiday, this is superb maverick film making.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    Last evening on the movie channel: Prince of Persia - Sands of Time!

Now that was entertaining! Better than I expected. Old fashioned adventure a la Jewel of the Nile or Indy (OK, with slow motion fights and other effects). I really enjoy all the eastern stuff, the clothing, costumes, the colours and stuff.

Do not watch when thirsty though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    THE PRIEST

Not a very bad way to burn 2 hours and some brain cells wink I found (movie) parts from Tron's futuristic landscapes, the motorbikes crossed with every vamp movie ever made, some wild west elements too and a bit of Da VInci code so it's a cross of genres. Nothing too good nothing too bad. The score is simply kick ass and elevates 2 scenes in particular - greatly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Watched the first episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day last and was quite disappointed.

The idea of people not dying is a good one but the programme itself wasn't that engaging. I don't know if it is because most of the original group have been killed off and the show has lost the group dynamic, whether the pandering to a US audience has changed things or because the story is being shared out over a lot of episodes.

It looked like Murray Gold had taken over Ben Foster to compose the score amd that is a shame. Foster's previous scores are good. This one, IMO, isn't. So far.

Anyone else see it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    Yes, I did.
    It felt VERY much like an introduction episode. A prequel edition if you will.
    Nothing much happened, except suggestions that a lot WILL actually be happening.

It felt like a 25 minute episode (which would to my mind just have been enough), padded with a lot of explosions and gunfire to get to the obligatory full hour slot.

I didn't mind the music. In fact I prefer Gold's take over Foster's Sturm und Drang. It's a bit more subtle.

I think this series might be interesting, and I rather like the America-centric focus this time around.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Certainly the trailer for the rest of the series does look like it has some interesting places to go.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just finished the last season of Ashes To Ashes.
    I am so glad I let Timmer persuade me to try this series after a string of negative reviews on the web.

It's EXCELLENT!
    I absolutely ADORE the fact that even though the story wraps up most satisfactorily, not everything gets fully explained away, and we are left with some gaps we are perfectly able to fill in ourselves...whether correctly or not. (Lost should have taken a leaf out of the book of THESE writers! Kudos, kudos, kudos.)

Oh, and the styling and "sense of eighties" (even if factually off at times) is absolutely spot on in its feel and delivery. Music (the title theme blows several REAL eighties police series themes out of the water for sheer...erm....eightieness), locations, hair, clothes. Excellent!

Yes, Life On Mars does remain superior (if only due to its novelty and its absolutely gut wrenching finale), but Ashes To Ashes comes VERY close behind and I was very sorry to have to let these characters go. The character progression, their motives and fate are very well written and -in what is almost a fairy tale or morality tale setting- utterly compelling and believable. I was especially impressed with the continued change in the character of the ogre-ish D.I. Carling. Very, very moving.

All in all some of the best TV I've seen in years.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can only but add that I agree with every word you said beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    I loved the addition of DCI Jim Keats from Discipline And Complaints in the third season, and the descent of Gene Hunt into a darker, more insecure role.
    It was never quite clear who the actual antagonist was.

They tried roughly the same in the second half of the second season of Life On Mars (with a very different pay-off), but this was done much more coherently and cleverly.

Oh, and the continued use of the Audi Quattro as a "cool car" was GREAT!
    That Dukes Of Hazard like screeching and turning made me smile every single time.

Can't recommend this series enough.
    In fact I rather envy anyone not having seen either series. sad
    I'd love to go back and have that experience again for the first time.
    Erm. Well. You know what I mean. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have to check out this Life on Mars series. smile

I'm now following Curb your Enthusiasm. It's an odd series, that sometimes gets me rolling on the floor, but the series also creates such awkward situations that it gets uneasy to watch! Larry David and the wife of Jeff are some of the funniest characters.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

I'm now following Curb your Enthusiasm. It's an odd series, that sometimes gets me rolling on the floor, but the series also creates such awkward situations that it gets uneasy to watch! Larry David and the wife of Jeff are some of the funniest characters.

Yeah, I love Curb Your Enthusiasm biggrin

And yeah also to checking out LIFE ON MARS beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote

I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is sensationally good. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at any other comedy show. I know what you mean about the cringeworthy bits, but they are always followed by a brilliantly witty payoff. The episode "Beloved Aunt" features what I think is the single funniest scene of filmed comedy that I've seen.
  4. Harry Potter 8

The 1st point. The death of he who must not be named is much more cinematic and character-driven than a certain other Dark Lord who went out as a panicked lidless eye.

The 2nd point. British acting royalty cameos rush by at a rate of 2 per minute, giving George Stevens' Greatest Story Ever Told and Robert Altman's Gosford Park a run for their money.

The 3rd point. This one was for fans of the book.

The 4th point. For someone who just knows the films, it was nice to see a resolution for Alan Rickman's character.

The 5th point. It's a strange achievement for a filmmaker to make Desplat's distinctive musical voice seem boring.

The 6th. You can't just crossfade to John Williams music from the first film after ignoring the style for 4 films and not have it stick out like a sore thumb.

And the 7th. Don't tell me the 3D glasses were there to see the old age make-up peeling off? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    Watched Space Battleship Yamato (The live action movie) and found it to be very entertaining.
    It owes a lot to the modern Battlestar Galactica yet I'm sure the original BSG owes a lot to the animated Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) from the seventies.
    I found it to have a nice combination of good story, likable characters, good acting, good spfx and good score.
    And it has an emotional heart and soul (take note George Lucas!).
    Good old fashioned sci-fi fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't seen Transformers 3 (Pearl Harbour was the last trip I did with Michael Bay), but one of the least snobby people I know did, and this was what they sent me by email about it:

Where do I start? I took my 8-year-old nephew to see this film, taking the precaution of setting my expectations suitably low. Turns out that was like trying to survive a fire by drinking a glass of water. This truly was the most over-blown, confused, pointless, boring, half-hearted, badly acted, inane, ridiculous piece of garbage I've ever had the misfortune to see. Why have you done this to the world, Michael Bay - why?!

wink

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    The original Quatermass film with Brian Donlevy. This is a good 'B' movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    sdtom wrote

And it was the first score of James Bernard
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/m … tive-1940/

Had another watch of this one last night and rewrote my review and added an audio clip. This is one you can watch for free on the internet archive.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

Ha! Nice!
    Pretty groundbreaking stuff then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

Ha! Nice!
    Pretty groundbreaking stuff then!

It sure was and Bernard had that sound right from the beginning.
  5. The second episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day was better than I was expecting. But it did have some bad sequences (making EDTA/cyanide from raw materials on a plane). Music for this episode completely passed me by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    Dang! Missed it! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Quatermass and the Pit (1967) starring Andrew Keir, Barbara Shelley, and James Donald. This was the third in the series and a very good one. The special effects were good for 67. Keir was great.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My favourite of the Quatermasses. Excellent and scary fare. Wonderful late night viewing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3919380761/

a trailer.
  6. My daughter is watching Tron: Legacy at the moment and it is reinforcing how awesome the music is.

I have the album but I realise now that I haven't yet listened to it from start to finish.

This says a lot about my listening habits of late. sad

This needs to change.