• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011
    Tormented a Bert Gordon 1960 film starring Richard Carlson. Much more of a psychological drama than the special effects he is known for. Having said that it is worth a watch only because it is free viewing on the internet archive.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.archive.org/details/tormented

there is the link for those interested
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    X-Men: First Class - Matthew Vaughn

Not being a huge enthusiast for the franchise as a whole, I didn't expect this to impress me at all - especially considering the two most recent installments prior, which were just dire in my opinion. However I found myself enjoying First Class rather a lot. The casting is superb, in particular Michael Fassbender, who gives a dramatic yet surprisingly understated performance as Eric Lehnsherr/Magneto, and provides a pretty seemless transition into what is fleshed out in Ian McKellen's later (or earlier, whichever way you look at it) turn as the character.

On top of that there's some pretty good visual effects, an impressive globe-trotting plot, competent direction and a serviceable, albeit unmemorable, score. Recommended.

A solid ***/***** romp.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Friends of mine who've seen it have recommended it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    The Karate Kid (2010)

Unexpectedly wonderful. This is what summer family films were like when I went as a child. Surprisingly well-formed characters, good acting from the children and even Jackie Chan (he can act!?) and a score which I always liked on CD but which is simply exceptional in context. My only problem - the hideously misplaced songs which are used at a handful of the more pivotal moments. They had no place being there - James Horner was making the film a lot better whenever his music appeared, and he should have been allowed to tackle all of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The 1978 King Kong was on.
    Some observations:
    1) the film takes forever to get started
    2) nobody in the whole movie is even trying to endeavour to make a stab at decent acting, but Jessica Lang was HOT back then!
    3) the real star of the film is the giant robot monkey arm, even though it moves as lifelike as Reed Richards with a severe case of St. Vitus.
    4) Barry's score is damn good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Some observations:
    2) nobody in the whole movie is even trying to endeavour to make a stab at decent acting, but Jessica Lang was HOT back then!
    3) the real star of the film is the giant robot monkey arm, even though it moves as lifelike as Reed Richards with a severe case of St. Vitus.

I thought the head animatronics were good. It's 1976 by the way and yeah, Barry's score IS damn good! beer

Not a great film by any stretch but somehow watchable, in retrospect you can't help thinking about the future fate of the twin towers that take center stage at the end. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you have the score Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    1976, indeed, indeed. I did not fact-check before ranting.
    The head's animatronics are...well, ok. A technical achievement....but awkward. I can almost hear the gears shifting when Kong frowns again (which he does ALL the time!).

I actually rather like the New York scenes, including the then newly built Twin Towers.
    Indeed very odd, emotionally, seeing them figuring so prominently.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And yes, I have the score. It's actually one of the very few non-Bond Barry scores I really enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cars 2 >> Awful! Worst Pixar film ever!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    The Karate Kid (2010)

Unexpectedly wonderful. This is what summer family films were like when I went as a child. Surprisingly well-formed characters, good acting from the children and even Jackie Chan (he can act!?) and a score which I always liked on CD but which is simply exceptional in context. My only problem - the hideously misplaced songs which are used at a handful of the more pivotal moments. They had no place being there - James Horner was making the film a lot better whenever his music appeared, and he should have been allowed to tackle all of it.

the score absolutely kicks ass in the film, and I liked the film as well. Considering I think very highly of the original film, I was afraid I wasn't going to like this one at all. No one can replace Pat Morita, but Jackie Chan does a wonderful job as well.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cars 2 >> Awful! Worst Pixar film ever!

-Erik-

Oh dear!
  2. Let me In (remake of Let the Right One In)

My god, they literally didn't change a bloody thing. Apart from the opening (which is basically the scene 30 minutes in the original film), this film bloody well follows the absolute path of the original one. Same shots, same storytelling, same feeling. Only in the original one, it's better, much more poetic and at least the effects there (apart from the ending) are real. Here even the opening attack of the girl is computer based.

The only thing that was cool (and original) was the moment when her protector needs to make him unrecognizable. That whole build up was cool.

Jeezus, I already thought it was stupid remaking a movie that was released just a few years earlier, but this one just bloody copies it.

The original one goes way to slow, but at least that one's the winner.

6 out of 10

------------------------

The Green Hornet

Fun watch, the visual style is excellent, the opening scene is great, the villain's evil enough and at the end everything's blown to shit. Nothing memorable but fun enough. Plus the score's fun too (I didn't even know it was from James Newton Howard). Nothing outstanding but some very enjoyable pieces nonetheless.

6 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Transformers 3

Bay has finally nailed it. Now that's the way to use the 3D! The one hour long climax of the film is so amazing we should have an extra pair of eyes to fully appreciate it. It's a symphony of action set pieces so perfectly executed that leave you breathless.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    Transformers 3

Bay has finally nailed it. Now that's the way to use the 3D! The one hour long climax of the film is so amazing we should have an extra pair of eyes to fully appreciate it. It's a symphony of action set pieces so perfectly executed that leave you breathless.

I'm gonna see it next weekend in 2D, I'm sure it will be in your face enough smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Marcel is the only person I've heard of so far to give Transformers 3 a possitive review, every critic I've read slated it and my friend saw it last night, it's like he and Marcel saw two totally different films.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was about to see it on Wednesday but my friend bailed so I stayed in. Another friend did go however and said it was even worse than Revenge Of The Fallen. I think I'll wait until it comes onto TV.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really have to be in the right mood to watch films like that, that means brain switched off gone stupid mode, though some of my friends would say that's the norm for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Some observations:

Awful film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Waterfront starring John Carradine and J Carroll Naish is a nazi spy film that was really quite good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Transformers 3

I'm gonna see it next weekend in 2D, I'm sure it will be in your face enough smile

Trust me, you wanna see this one in Digital 3D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited
    I'll see it in IMAX 3D next week. Hehe.
  4. Anthony wrote
    I was about to see it on Wednesday but my friend bailed so I stayed in. Another friend did go however and said it was even worse than Revenge Of The Fallen. I think I'll wait until it comes onto TV.

as long as you've got a sound system that kicks ass, then yes watch it on television. but these movies must be experienced with a sound system and not through the boxes of your TV

Bregt will have realized that by now wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I think Marcel is the only person I've heard of so far to give Transformers 3 a possitive review, every critic I've read slated it and my friend saw it last night, it's like he and Marcel saw two totally different films.

Nope. Me too.

I really found awful Revenge of the Fallen. Incoherent, boring, annying, stupid, bad action pieces...
    In fact, I really think Michael Bay is gone since Bad Boys 2.

Transformers 3? it is long, boring and incoherent for about 2 hours...But then the final 40 minutes are so fucking amazing, that i have to give a positive review. it has a incredible and impressive apocaliptic climax on Chicago. There is actual "set pieces". i mean, not just "explosions", if really well concieved and directed action scenes. I never have seen such spectacular scenes, neither in Avatar ( wich was great with the "biolomenescence" of the night, but the action was pretty dull).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The best review headline I saw is 'Transformers - Robots In Demise'
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    I'll see it in IMAX 3D next week. Hehe.

shocked

Jealous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/l … ouse-1944/

a nice thriller that you can watch for free with the link in the article.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

biggrin
  5. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

who cares if it made 400 million dollars world wide in just its opening weekend.