• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    Martijn wrote

The classic Twilight Zone episode?
    That's a good re-use of music!

I think that CBS had a library that made use of his material he did for the zone. The Glamorous Ghost also had some.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    I remember episodes of THE FUGITIVE often used scores from other shows, I recognised Goldsmith's 'The Invaders' music from Twilight Zone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. plindboe wrote
    Just found out there is an american remake of the brilliant english comedy Death at a funeral.

Original

Remake

I like Chris Rock and Martin Lawrrence, but gotta say that the remake looks like crap judging from the trailer. Anyone seen the remake?

Peter smile

I saw the remake, apart from a funny quote of Danny Glover, the entire movie's more the typical racist / gay crude humor that we see in most of today's comedies. Decent enough for a watch, but not memorable. I'd say the trailer pretty much sums it up
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Just found out there is an american remake of the brilliant english comedy Death at a funeral.

Original

Remake

I like Chris Rock and Martin Lawrrence, but gotta say that the remake looks like crap judging from the trailer. Anyone seen the remake?

Peter smile

Anyone who even mildly enjoyed the original will find the remake unwatchable. I lasted about 25 minutes and couldn't stand it any longer.

Saw the Fright Night remake the other day too - and again, every element that made the original so good has been destroyed and made absurd by ridiculous additions or subtractions and by an overload of CGI. It's still kind of watchable - though maybe having recently been subjected to the Conan remake (as abysmal as what passes for 'entertainment' gets) may have softened the blow somewhat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't heard any views on the CONAN remake, wanna give a brief one David?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Conan's film is not a remake, it's a new take on Robert E. Howard's stories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I remember episodes of THE FUGITIVE often used scores from other shows, I recognised Goldsmith's 'The Invaders' music from Twilight Zone.

Like the Universal material CBS got good use of certain material.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    Conan's film is not a remake, it's a new take on Robert E. Howard's stories.

True, but either way the new film is a mess. The dodgy acting is a given but I thought the monotony of having one fight scene after another really killed it. It's very one-note and without any sense of character development. Don't know whether I'll be picking up the Tyler Bates CD but I have to admit his score actually didn't hurt the film at all and seemed very decent in parts. Certainly sounded far more orchestral than I imagined it would. It still doesn't come within a bull's roar of the weakest note of Basil's score of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Invisible Agent (1942) with Jon Hall and Ilona Massey. The interesting part of this film was the creation of a new main title. It had the three note motif of the Frankenstein Monster but different notes. The film was total propaganda against Germany and Japan. There were a couple of speeches that the Invisible Man gave.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011 edited
    Machete (2010)

Plays like a mix between a (very bloody) episode of The A-Team and that old Schwartzenegger chestnut Commando.
    A fun way to pass 100 minutes. Utter nonsense, but very fast-paced and enjoyable as popcorn fare (exactly as director Rodriguez apparently intended, witness the announcement for the two "sequels" at the end: Machete Kills and Machete Kills Again).

Some good cameos/minor roles on the way, including Robert DeNiro as a corrupt Texan senator, Cheech Marin as Machete's brother and an unrecognisable Don Johnson!
    Both Jessica Alba and Lyndsay Lohan, in bit parts, are pointless and ineffectual eye candy. We do get to see Lyndsay naked though.
    Michelle Rodriguez on the other hand (whom I am carrying a serious peso for ever since Lost) again seems tough enough to armwrestle The Terminator while chewing Aliens. love

The music is your average Rodriguez fare, i.e. semi-hard rock semi- folk. Serviceable and fun, but not in any way distinguished.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Michelle can go all Terminate on me ANYTIME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    We do get to see Lyndsay naked though.

If I'm not mistaken that was a body double.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It definitely was.
    The breasts are markedly different (in a good way) on the body double than on Lyndsay proper.
    I fear her cumulation of destructive lifestyles has already taken its toll on her physique.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    It definitely was.
    The breasts are markedly different (in a good way) on the body double than on Lyndsay proper.
    I fear her cumulation of destructive lifestyles has already taken its toll on her physique.

Ya think
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The new conan is a shipwreck from what i read and not surprisingly at all. How about the music to Fright Night?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched the final installment of the Invisible Man series. The Invisible Man's Revenge. Jon Hall plays a nasty role in this film. Not really a sequel to the previous ones. There was some original Salter material in this film.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/t … enge-1944/

review of the film
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    The new conan is a shipwreck from what i read and not surprisingly at all. How about the music to Fright Night?

Fright Night is standard but pretty acceptable. Especially because it borrows the style of Bram Stoker's Dracula (which of course saves it from total destruction). It's not a masterpiece, but I enjoyed the listen. Especially the final track is pretty cool

But this is of course for the new generation. So I assume many will hate it no matter what
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Kids watched Bruce Almighty last week and thought it was funny. I saw the second half of the movie because I wasn't home first. I forgot how entertaining it was, Jim Carrey is always nice I guess.

This week we saw 27 dresses on TV. Was zapping to see what was on, saw Catherine Heigl so I watched the whole movie. What you would expect from a rom com, but not too bad. And Heigl is always nice.

Speaking of rom com, we started watching a movie a while ago which was so awful I turned it off. And I'm very easily entertained but this was so bad. It was How to lose a guy in 10 days. I've never seen a movie so horribly directed and so boring. Nothing was happening.

Speaking of afwul movies, haha, sometimes it can be so funny to watch B movies (or Z movies!) and laugh your ass off. Sometimes in the summer season they show these movies on TV and recently we've seen two of those movies on the SyFy channel. And no, we don't turn it off, we watch it and complain loudly about everything that's bad. Ever seen a movie called Titanic 2? Hahaha, lots of laughs with that one.

Saw Dorian Gray. Gotta love the setting and costumes. The whole feel of the movie reminded me of Perfume. Nice visuals with an eerie tension. Kudos for the gay scenes, is that in the book as well? Haven't read the book, haven't seen the older movies, so I can't compare. Colin Firth is a great actor. And Ben Barnes does have divine beauty.

What else? Oh, Hachi. Yes, with the dog. We watched it with the whole family. I cried like a baby! Even my kids looked at me like "Eh... what are you doing??" The dog was great. And thinking of that dog just waiting and waiting almost makes me cry again!!

wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Because of the blackout I watched nothing
  4. sdtom wrote
    Because of the blackout I watched nothing

How badly did it affect you in terms of how you felt - related to your own dependence on electrical items? I am thinking more from a leisure point of view.

I worry how much I would miss access to a PC if we had a power cut for that long. But I suppose I would read, do some housework (yeah, right!) or go for a walk. I remember when we had a power cut a year or two back. It was the evening and we had to get the candles out. It was difficult for the children to find something else to do when they were denied access to TV, PC and video games...and light to read by. We ended up sat round the table playing cards! They loved it but would never ask to do it again when the electricity was back on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks guys who reponded to my Death at a funeral remake question. thumbsup

I think I might see the remake anyway, even though it doesn't sound promising. I do have a fetish about remakes, so I'm still curious about it.

In any case, I just re-saw the 2007 Death at a funeral and laughed my ass off again. It's fantastic stuff, Alan Tudyk being my favourite character. biggrin

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tron

Never watched it before. Won't ever watch it again.

Superman

Have probably watched it before, but not since my age could be measured in single digits. Vintage popcorn filmmaking but not really my thing any more.

Lola Rennt

Brilliant! Take out the awful score and it would be even better.
  5. Southall wrote
    Tron

Lola Rennt

Brilliant! Take out the awful score and it would be even better.

Now now... don't be a cranky soundtrack fan. Nothing wrong with the odd electronica score. wink

As for TRON, my memory of it as a child is that it's quite turgid and never feels like a story is happening. I never saw all of it though, and haven't checked it out since -- is that a fair characterisation, do you think?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited
    Yes, I think so. I guess it must have been quite a spectacle at the time and that may have made up for the fact that barely anything actually happens, but without the benefit of it feeling like a spectacle (and it doesn't - it's the visual equivalent of hearing one of those old Casio digital watches beeping away today - the wonder that it seems so hard to believe that something so singularly unimpressive could once have seemed impressive) it's hard to see the point.

As for Lola... I thought an electronica score was entirely appropriate... just not this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited
    I love the score to Lola Rennt: a hectic, powerhouse techno score that is a repeated listen for me.
    The film, although not overly original, is fresh enough to sustain interest (even though some of the repetitions grow to be a little grating as the film progresses), but the score, I find, fits it to a T! "I vish I vas a hunter..."

And if you don't love Tron, you need reformatting!
    wink
    (It probably helps immensely that I have lived that era, and that it was a hugely interesting vision of computers and ICT at the time. Not that I understood any of it back then, but it was like a magic neverland slightly unlocked.
    I love the mood, I love the graphics, I love the setting: this IS computers for me. That IS what networks, information exchange and bitmaps look like and always will.

...I will grudgingly admit the pace is rather slow, though)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    I watched THE HAMBERG CELL last night, an incredibly powerful drama chronicling the hijackers lives leading to 9/11, chilling stuff and brilliantly done but not exactly a "joyful" watch.

I'd seen this once before and I took more notice of the music this time which I thought was very good, it's very intense and builds and builds, check it here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VfQyVeC … re=related
  6. Southall wrote
    Tron

Superman

Have probably watched it before, but not since my age could be measured in single digits. Vintage popcorn filmmaking but not really my thing any more.

Tron I never watched before, but as I wanted to watch the sequel I needed to experience this one of a kind movie. It really isn't a film in the traditional sense. But I like its incredibly dated look and the whole concept. I have it on blu-ray now and it's incredible in the audiovisual department, just like its sequel is.

And Superman not your thing anymore? I can't imagine it never being my thing. Love, love, love what Donner and Reeve and Williams have done with the film, and it always sends me soaring way up high like only the best films do.

And it's been over 3 months I have posted anything on this board. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    I never liked the original TRON.

SUPERMAN, on the other hand has always been a favourite feel good movie of mine, a film with real heart to it.
  7. It helps the film has one of the most brilliant scores ever supporting it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.