• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    ( mostly ) FTAO Martijn wave

PLANET DINOSAUR starts on BBC 1 at 8.30PM this Wednesday.

just a tiny 3 horned hunch that you'd want to know this info wink
    i watched it last night, i thought it was very good and a lot of the cgi was excellent, it's obviously improved since Walking With Dinosaurs ( which wasn't exactly slouching anyway ), a good blend of made up possibilities and scientific fact, if i have one complaint it's that 30 minutes is never enough for Dino freaks like me wink

Is it my rose coloured glasses, or did Walking With Dinosaurs look better?
    I remember being utterly been blown away by that series (and I still am, rewatching it every 10 months or so), yet Planet Dinosaur looks....too smooth?
    Is it just my imagination?
    Or does the combination of puppets, models and cgi win over cgi-only?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    So, running slightly behind, starting on the new Doctor Who series, starting with the 2010 Christmas Special (rather suiting the current weather). Thoroughly enjoyed that one, in no small measure thanks to a profound lack of Amy Pond. Good scripting and dialogue, with a flamboyant Michael Gambon (whom I always enjoy seeing).
    Matt Smith is slowly trying to make the role his own...but is still a pale carbon copy of David Tennant.

Now on episode one of series six: 'The Impossible Astronaut', which offers a proper bit of old fashioned suspense....and the very welcome return of Dr. Rain Song! So far, so good.
    Here's hoping Both the character of Amy and Matt Smith's doctor remain dead.
    :exterminate:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. "Rain Song"? Your mind is addled for sure.

I have again been disappointed with this current series. I thought the Christmas Special was a huge disappointment. This series is very hit-and-miss - and I have not watched some of the more recent ones. But, you should keep an eye out for "The Girl Who Waited" - an Amy Pond-heavy episode but she shone in this one. Definitely the highlight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Rain Song"? Your mind is addled for sure.

No. Slightly too much bubbly last night...dizzy

Obviously I meant RIVER Song!
    (Rain...River....both hold water, no?)

I thought the Christmas Special was a huge disappointment.

Really?
    Why? I thought the novel take on Dickens was quite clever, actually. Especially compared to 2008's rather abysmal The Next Doctor (with the Victorian steam-Cyberman. As great an idea as that was, what a completely flat episode!).
    Also I thought Katherine Jenkins was particularly cute. love
    The only thing I actually didn't like was Gold's reiteration of the Ood Song (OK, it actually was Abigail's song, but it was frighteningly similar). I'm pretty much done with the esoteric otherwordly songs with Great Hidden Meaning.
    And the lyrics were truly awful, finally passing from the mere saccharine into the indigestible. vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ( mostly ) FTAO Martijn wave

PLANET DINOSAUR starts on BBC 1 at 8.30PM this Wednesday.

just a tiny 3 horned hunch that you'd want to know this info wink
    i watched it last night, i thought it was very good and a lot of the cgi was excellent, it's obviously improved since Walking With Dinosaurs ( which wasn't exactly slouching anyway ), a good blend of made up possibilities and scientific fact, if i have one complaint it's that 30 minutes is never enough for Dino freaks like me wink

Is it my rose coloured glasses, or did Walking With Dinosaurs look better?
    I remember being utterly been blown away by that series (and I still am, rewatching it every 10 months or so), yet Planet Dinosaur looks....too smooth?
    Is it just my imagination?
    Or does the combination of puppets, models and cgi win over cgi-only?

CGI, even the very best of it still has a "glide" ( probably my way of saying "smooth" ) and a weightlessness to it that still needs to be overcome and is the reason why after all these years that the original JURASSIC PARK with it's extensive use of animatronics combined with the fledgling CGI still looks so bloody brilliant ( though the Brachiosaurus still looks a bit 'blancmangy' in some sequences ), I guess what I'm saying is that you are right, a combination of effects does work better than purely CGI.

Having said that, there is model work going on in Planet Dinosaur, particularly the mouth close-ups and the CGI does seem to be an improvement over WALKING WITH DINOSAURS, I enjoyed the first episode and the Spinosaur was a great improvement over the bulky beast from JP III.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Looking forward to watching a special on TV. I know I rarely watch if ever but this is a Ken Burns 6 hour special on prohibition in the US.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooo, Ken Burns! The man's visual style is just excellent (and his research and content are never shabby either).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I absolutely loved his Baseball documentary!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011
    He is a fine historian and I look forward to it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    I watched Spirited Away, a film that was out of the norm for me. While I thought the music was great the film was very ordinary. I say that because I'm not much into fantasy stuff.
    Tom
  2. I have never seen the attraction of animated films such as these.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched a BBC production of The Diary of Anne Frank, it was superbly done but so incredibly heartbreaking.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I see Doctor Who was pants again tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So negative are you!

Oh wait. So am I. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    Mega Shark Vs. Crocosaurus

Plays like a CGI version of any old Toho Godzilla flick, but far less entertaining.
    I realise it's the goal of the makers of those new monster films to create Z-grade monster films, but why did they have to make them boring?

I won't bother with a synopsis. Does what it says on the tin.
    Half a star. Or none.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I watched Spirited Away, a film that was out of the norm for me. While I thought the music was great the film was very ordinary. I say that because I'm not much into fantasy stuff.
    Tom

I tend to agree Alan however these are the facts. It cost approx. 2 million to make and it has grossed well over 230 million. Not a bad return on your money. I watched as a friend asked and I wanted to hear the music.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Plays like a CGI version of any old Toho Godzilla flick, but far less entertaining.
    I realise it's the goal of the makers of those new monster films to create Z-grade monster films, but why did they have to make them boring?

I won't bother with a synopsis. Does what it says on the tin.
    Half a star. Or none.

The trailers are best!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Indeed, I rate it 3 out of 10. Too weird and rather boring. The average rating on imdb is 8.6, which I'll probably never understand.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Serenity

Pretty cool, plot not too bad, likable characters (though Alan Tudyk was a bit too anonymous in this movie). A nice little sci-fi flick. Fun cowboyish theme by David Newman, though nothing out of the ordinary.

Rating: 6 outta 10

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    Serenity

Pretty cool, plot not too bad, likable characters (though Alan Tudyk was a bit too anonymous in this movie). A nice little sci-fi flick. Fun cowboyish theme by David Newman, though nothing out of the ordinary.

Rating: 6 outta 10

Peter smile

I adore this one, 9 out of 10. A perfect end to a series that didn't deserve the cancellation
    I'm glad the movie delivered a worthy end to the series

Ps, it really rocks on Blu-ray, the sound and picture is astounding, makes the experience even more worth it punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2011 edited
    I never saw the Firefly series. Perhaps I should give it a try. It's only 14 episodes after all so it's not a huge commitment.

Peter smile

PS. By coincidence I'm just listening to Greg Edmonson's The funeral from the series. What a sad and beautiful piece. Serenity should have had a piece like this at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Mars needs moms

I don't really understand why this is so derided. I thought it was pretty decent. Especially some of the scenes at the end were excellent and made me all emotional. Powell's score worked wonders, especially during those latter scenes.

My biggest problem was the alien design though. I didn't like how they looked or behaved.

Rating: 7

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Half a star. Or none.

The trailers are best!

Very true.
    With the possible exception of the Piranha remake, which I really enjoyed (in a Deadly Ernest Horror Show kinda way).

plindboe wrote
    Serenity

I echo the sentiment of some posts above me: I also did see the film before I got a chance to have a look at the series, and while I liked it, having seen the -very enjoyable and pretty darn good- series, I appreciated the film a lot more.
  5. Space Battleship Yamato

Take it from me this is a very entertaining sci-fi action packed movie, if you don't cringe at the overly dramatic moments. I for one loved it... It's primarily an asian take on Wing Commander (not the shitty 99 film but the awesome games starring Mark Hamill & Malcolm McDowell) and I had a ball spotting the references. The visual effects are pretty good for such a low budget flick and it features one hell of a melodic score... One that has no shame in making itself aware to the viewer (listener). I want this on blu-ray !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    Colossus of New York (1958)

I watched this again because of the release of the music which I'll be curious to listen to away from the movie. A lot of 12 tone piano.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

I watched this again because of the release of the music which I'll be curious to listen to away from the movie. A lot of 12 tone piano.
    Tom

This film scared me when I was a kid, I think it was the idea of a human brain in a robot body complete with death dealing eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't remember seeing this one as a young lad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's much easier to swallow that kind of hokum at a young age. wink
  6. sdtom wrote

Tom

Looking forward to hearing this one. But my package is coming from SAE and includes a recent Kritzerland release and so it will be a while in coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    If you like Schoenberg you'll like it. Space Children is more of a tonal piece.
    Tom