• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    If you like Schoenberg you'll like it. Space Children is more of a tonal piece.
    Tom

I haven't listened to much (if any) Schoenberg. I will need to listen to it and then landmark it against my knowledge of film composers or what it "sounds like" in terms of other film scores. I certainly liked the clips I heard.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. plindboe wrote
    Mars needs moms

I don't really understand why this is so derided. I thought it was pretty decent. Especially some of the scenes at the end were excellent and made me all emotional. Powell's score worked wonders, especially during those latter scenes.

My biggest problem was the alien design though. I didn't like how they looked or behaved.

Rating: 7

Peter smile

Ugh! I did not enjoy this one. It started out promising enough, but I hated the end. I didn't get emotional at all. You know those moments in a movie where the main characters have to get somewhere or do something by a certain time or everyone will die and they make it just as time runs out? This movie did that about 30 times in the final 5 minutes and it drove me crazy! I am also still not a fan of the medium. There are two kinds of motion capture movies. Those that do it amazingly well and those that fall flat on their face. This movie falls into the latter category for me. How is it that animated characters whose movements and facial expressions are actually based on what real actors did seems so much less convincing to me than more traditionally animated characters? I wanted to listen for Powell's score, but was distracted by the crappy film too often to actually enjoy it.

I did like, though, that the one guy's dialogue was stuck in the 80s and that the martian girl's dialogue was stuck in the 70s. That was kind of fun.

Rating: 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I haven't listened to much (if any) Schoenberg. I will need to listen to it and then landmark it against my knowledge of film composers or what it "sounds like" in terms of other film scores. I certainly liked the clips I heard.

You should watch the film which is the way I have the music.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

You should watch the film which is the way I have the music.
    Tom

The film has been uploaded onto YouTube and I watched the first 15 minutes or so. It's quite a stark score for the film. Certainly at the start the film is a conventional sci-fi movie and Van Cleave's music seems to be a separate entity to the rest of the film (to my mind anyway). It certainly sounds like an original styled score, but I am not sure that it's a particularly well integrated score. Definitely looking forward to hearing it though - and SAE mailed me to say that it shipped!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    The film was little to write home about being yet another Frankenstein story.
    tom
  4. I was planning to settle down to watch the first episode of season 4 of Fringe. But, from the opening scene it was clear that I had somehow missed the season 3 finale - I had no idea why everyone was in the same universe.

So, that was the end of that.
  5. plindboe wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I watched Spirited Away, a film that was out of the norm for me. While I thought the music was great the film was very ordinary. I say that because I'm not much into fantasy stuff.
    Tom

Indeed, I rate it 3 out of 10. Too weird and rather boring. The average rating on imdb is 8.6, which I'll probably never understand.

Peter smile

I think all of Hisaishi's films are overrated by critics and the viewing public alike. There's only one that I found really engrossing (Howl's Moving Castle). Spirited Away was super weird, though that seemed to be the point of the film, kind of. I might still see it again, though.

My wife and I just recently watched Princess Mononoke. Guess what? It was weird. And comically over-violent. Decapitation by a single arrow shot from the back of a galloping deer-like creature? This kid can do that. Several times. Very odd film.

I think one of my problems with these movies is that I never think the bad guys get their comeuppance.
  6. I've seen some TV series premiers in the last week that I was looking forward to: Person of Interest and Terra Nova. Both were disappointing.

Caveziel was really just okay in Person of Interest and I was hoping for more from the pen of Jonathan Nolan. I loved Michael Emmerson (is that his name? You know - the guy who played Ben Linus) in Lost, but he didn't get enough screen time to make an impression really. I might try a few more episodes. Maybe.

I didn't find anything from Terra Nova compelling. The dinosaurs look pretty good for TV, but someone tell me why no one has ever managed to make dinosaurs look more compelling than Jurassic Park did in 1993? Not even the JP sequels looked as good, imo. I might watch it again if I happen to be watching TV when it's on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    I can tell you Christopher and it's quite simple, Jurassic Park doesn't rely solely on CGI, you can thank Stan Winston's animatronic magic for that.

Having seen it again recently some of the CGI in JP looks, for want of a better word, "spongy", particularly the scene with the Brachiosaurus and the T-Rex has some strange body morphing moments at the end, I'm not sure I'm using the right language to convey what I mean but if you watch and study it yourself you'll see what I mean. Still, the film is an incredible achievement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Mars needs moms

I don't really understand why this is so derided. I thought it was pretty decent. Especially some of the scenes at the end were excellent and made me all emotional. Powell's score worked wonders, especially during those latter scenes.

My biggest problem was the alien design though. I didn't like how they looked or behaved.

Rating: 7

Peter smile

Ugh! I did not enjoy this one. It started out promising enough, but I hated the end. I didn't get emotional at all. You know those moments in a movie where the main characters have to get somewhere or do something by a certain time or everyone will die and they make it just as time runs out? This movie did that about 30 times in the final 5 minutes and it drove me crazy! I am also still not a fan of the medium. There are two kinds of motion capture movies. Those that do it amazingly well and those that fall flat on their face. This movie falls into the latter category for me. How is it that animated characters whose movements and facial expressions are actually based on what real actors did seems so much less convincing to me than more traditionally animated characters? I wanted to listen for Powell's score, but was distracted by the crappy film too often to actually enjoy it.

I did like, though, that the one guy's dialogue was stuck in the 80s and that the martian girl's dialogue was stuck in the 70s. That was kind of fun.

Rating: 3

Well, perhaps I'm a bit too forgiving. I didn't like the animation at all when I first started watching, it seemed too boring and normal, but after a while I warmed up to it. I didn't like the fat guy at first either as he seemed like the typical stupid/fat/funny guy comic relief that we always get in these types of movies, but I warmed up to him as well. I thought the character was well done with several well-written lines and the voice acting was perfect.

I'm probably too easy to manipulate. [spoiler]Place a mother sacrificing her life for her son in a movie with the son yelling "mommy" and I'll be sobbing like a little baby within seconds[/spoiler]. It never fails. Even though I realize that it's emotional manipulation doesn't change my reaction. I thought the 5 minutes from the kid waking up his mom to the dramatic climax was extremely well done. And I love when the kid and his mom are running and Powell's extremely catchy theme is playing. Moments like those are why Powell has become my second favourite composer of all time.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    NP: Horror Island (1941) Universal. This was an awful film except for one thing which was an original main title or at least one I've not heard before.
    Tom
  7. plindboe wrote
    I thought the 5 minutes from the kid waking up his mom to the dramatic climax was extremely well done.

Those were precisely my least favorite 5 minutes of the film! Oh well. To each his......er....yeah.
  8. This is a "heads up" to everyone who can get BBC2.

Tonight, BBC2 are showing Larry Cohen's 1974 film It's Alive. If I remember, I may try and catch this to hear Bernard Herrmann's score.12:50am is the time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    Nice one Alan, I will check it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I am waiting for the series finale of Doctor Who. But I am not holding out for a good episode.

Hopefully this (save for the Christmas special, starring Bill Bailey!) will mark the end of The Doctor for a while.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011 edited
    Watching movies recently has cemented my dislike for Blu Ray. The picture is too clear and bright so it makes the movie seem like the film is being recorded on camcorder. I'm suddenly made aware of how bright everything is and the clarity informs me on when something is a set.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    Been watching alot of Red dwarf these past days. It's a great series, but it's sad that it turned downhill from the beginning. I rank the seasons like this:

1) Season 1
    2) Season 2
    3) Season 3,4,5,6
    4) Season 7
    5) Season 8,9

There will be a season 10 out next year. I can't wait, but I'm also worried that it will be utter crap. I hope they've learned from past mistakes.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am waiting for the series finale of Doctor Who. But I am not holding out for a good episode.

Hopefully this (save for the Christmas special, starring Bill Bailey!) will mark the end of The Doctor for a while.

I don't know about you but I really enjoyed tonights episode.
  10. I enjoyed it too. Did not really follow it though, but liked the timey-wimey ideas.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Were there post production issues with this one? The music editing is atrocious. And while the score is superior to the first on CD, many cues don't fit the scenes they accompany. A bit of an odd one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Anthony wrote

Were there post production issues with this one? The music editing is atrocious. And while the score is superior to the first on CD, many cues don't fit the scenes they accompany. A bit of an odd one.

confused

Can you be more precise?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

confused

Can you be more precise?

There's quite a lot of music tracked into places it wasn't written for, a decent amount of the stuff on the CD isn't in the film. Don't know why though, maybe someone else knows the story?
  11. KevinSmith wrote
    Watching movies recently has cemented my dislike for Blu Ray. The picture is too clear and bright so it makes the movie seem like the film is being recorded on camcorder. I'm suddenly made aware of how bright everything is and the clarity informs me on when something is a set.

You're kidding right? How about all the detail you can clearly see now, especially in wide shots or close-ups. The increased colour presentation and more defined contrasts or black levels.

I'm upgrading most of my 'visually strong' dvds to blu-ray and I can immediately see the difference and be amazed at all the added detail and clarity.

Not to mention the sound on blu-ray is absolute reference quality, better than what you get in the movie theatre.

Watch a Pixar animation on blu-ray and you will NEVER EVER want to watch it through other means ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    I was skeptical on BluRay a while ago, before I started watching on the format. I had seen HD digital cameras and I hated the look, taking away the "magic" of shooting on film. I thought the BluRay situation would be the same problem. However, I soon realized this is ridiculous.

BluRay doesn't add information to what the director shot. It just doesn't compress it. So while you always saw a compressed picture and sound, diminishing what you saw in the theatre due to limited storage capacity, now you're a lot closer to what the director shot and what the theatrical presentation was. It also makes the argument for shooting digital over film for extra resolution pretty stupid.

A friend keeps asking me if BluRay also has an advantage for older classics, which "weren't shot in HD", but that's clearly the wrong question. I love BluRay especially for film from the 30's through to the 70's because of the fine grain and filmic quality that BluRay is giving back to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Odd? I find BlueRay to be a horrible, headache-inducing medium, that highlights each detail to such a level that it detracts from the story. And contrary to Bob, I find it does a thorough disservice to old films.
    I'll stick to DVD as long as I can.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too much detail, too many frame / fields per second, too high refresh rate, "true motion" technologies on the tv's are making movies look like friggin documentaries and it's no secret. That and most horribly - the 3d technology (beating a dead horse in cinemas) is doing harm than good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I tried to watch The Story of Film : An Odyssey on E4 last night, what should have been a program right up my street was ruinned by film critic Mark Cousins dreadfully reverential monotoned voice over which irritated me so much I somehow managed to watch at least 15 minutes before switching over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Have any of you seen what Blue Ray does to b&w.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    Yes, I'm currently getting quite a collection of black/white BluRay films (mainly from the Criterion label). Of course, just like with DVD, what the picture looks like is very much dependent on the used transfer and the way they handled it during the restoration. I'm usually very satisfied with the restorations by the Criterion collection, which maintains the original grain in the image (commercial studios tend to 'clean' the grain away, which makes for too smooth an image and then it does hurt the feel of the film), doesn't lighten the picture up too much and remains faithful to the original black and whites (as opposed to a more sepia or blueish colored tone some films have gotten over the years).

You can see pretty insightful comparisons for black/white pictures, comparing the DVD versions with the BluRay counterparts. Scroll down to see the comparisons (the bigger images are the BluRay ones):

Fritz Lang's M:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/m.htm

Charlie Chaplin's MODERN TIMES:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar … ntimes.htm

Charlie Chaplin's THE GREAT DICTATOR:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar … ctator.htm

Ingmar Bergman's THE SEVENTH SEAL:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie … lu-ray.htm

Jean Cocteau's LA BELLE ET LA BETE:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar … ybeast.htm

Francois Truffaut's THE 400 BLOWS:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/400_blows.htm

Stanley Kubrick's PATHS OF GLORY:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreview … fglory.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Odd? I find BlueRay to be a horrible, headache-inducing medium, that highlights each detail to such a level that it detracts from the story. And contrary to Bob, I find it does a thorough disservice to old films.
    I'll stick to DVD as long as I can.

I can't even watch DVDs any more. Would be like listening to a cassette rather than a CD.