• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'd like your opinion on this Martijn: will you look at the screenshots from Tron, the new HD-release, and tell me if that doesn't look infinitely better than what you must have watched when it was released in '82, or on the VHS tapes after that.

biggrin
    I like how you reference VHS.
    Let's get this very clear: VHS was nice because for the first time in television history, we could retain what we saw. THAT'S IT! There was no further benefit than that. The quality was awful even back in the day, and I am *massively* grateful it's gone the way of the dodo.
    As charming and quaint a medium as it may be referenced now, I have always hated the format, which was the very worst to go to market, even with the crude technology of the day.

Haha indeed, returning to VHS now in this day and age of everything digital is pure torture.

So, I have looked at the photos, and I really think I should watch the film on that medium.
    The photos to me just convey a sense of "hyper reality": things seem sharper than real life. All angles seem hard, unforgiving. Does that make sense?
    I have to say though you have chosen probably the most difficult film to gauge, as of course the whole point of that film is an augmented/alternate reality that is binary in nature.

So I really have to reserve judgement.
    But from what I see on the web site, it doesn't seem so enjoyable to me.

Watching it with the mindset I had, 80s flick, cheesy effects and story, great concept though, I found it much more enjoyable with all these 'sharper edges'. The world is more defined now, it's easier on the eyes. I think the completely made up worlds benefit the most from HD and blu-ray. But I can't speak for when it appeared on the older formats, how it looked back then. But I'm glad I'm now discovering this cool film on my format of choice.

Honestly though I don't really know this film by heart at all.
    I certainly have a soft spot for it, but I have only seen it four or five times over the last twenty years or so. smile
    (I did very recently revisit it though, so I feel comfortable commenting).

My bad. I thought you had watched it 30 times already, have a Tron arcade machine in your house, dress up yearly in one of those illuminated costumes, and what not... cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    Too Big To Fail

Excellent film about the 2008 banking crisis. I was vaguely involved in all that stuff (on the periphery) and it's interesting to get a view of the heart of it. Of course a lot is highly-simplified and I'm not sure all the facts are quite right, but still, it's a very well-acted, compelling film which conveys pretty well how close capitalism really did come to total collapse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    I still don't buy it: the one is cleaning up an inherent deficiency of the medium, the other is replacing an element of the film by something completely different!

To me it's far more like the difference between cleaning up your room and deciding to paint it green because that's a fashionable colour.

I'm more in agreement with this statement. Repairing and restoring a film such as the fine work that UCLA and Criterion have done.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. The Wolfman (2010)

Well, pleasantly surprised by this. Nice build up, excellent make up effects, decent enough story (simple one too) and a wonderful production design, they are all responsible the time flew by. Oh the sound is delicious and Elfman's score truly rocks inside the motion picture. I can not imagine the movie without it!

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    It's not a great film by any stretch but I was entertained by it and, well hell, that's what a film is supposed to do. I can imagine someone else scoring it but that's beside the point and I agree that it's a very fine score.

Your 6/10 rating is about right.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Last night I watched SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE for the first time in probably 20 years. It was pretty awful! The actors all did a fine job (Lois Lane a little less than others), but that's probably the only thing the film has going for it. The writing was poor. The "Can you read my mind" poem that Lois recites in her head while flying around with Superman is one of the most terrible things I've ever heard! And very poorly delivered, I might add. The scene where Luthor figures out Superman's weakness is also horribly written. The plotting was poor, the story was poor, the climax was just silly. It was still fun in a nostalgic way, and Christopher Reeves is a great Superman, but I was shocked to see just how bad most of it was. I was expecting far better. The music was okay, though wink

3/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011
    Yeah...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. That reminds me what Williams said about the film, and how it wasn't to be taked seriously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byQfCk1zlI
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    Last night I watched SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE for the first time in probably 20 years. It was pretty awful! The actors all did a fine job (Lois Lane a little less than others), but that's probably the only thing the film has going for it. The writing was poor. The "Can you read my mind" poem that Lois recites in her head while flying around with Superman is one of the most terrible things I've ever heard! And very poorly delivered, I might add. The scene where Luthor figures out Superman's weakness is also horribly written. The plotting was poor, the story was poor, the climax was just silly. It was still fun in a nostalgic way, and Christopher Reeves is a great Superman, but I was shocked to see just how bad most of it was. I was expecting far better. The music was okay, though wink

3/10

WRONG! THIS alone is enough to give the film a 10 out of 10!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Boogeyman

I'm probably one of the few ones who actually likes it. Okay, it's fairly mediocre all in all, but way better than most wannabe second rate horror movies. It has a great mood, excellent cinematography and the sound kicks ass. I must admit that the CGI is pretty lame (for some reason the boogeyman reminds me of the creatures in I am Legend), but it works nonetheless. Ah for a B-rate horror movie, it definitely scares me. The sequels on the other hand are crap

6 out of 10
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    Last night I watched SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE for the first time in probably 20 years. It was pretty awful! The actors all did a fine job (Lois Lane a little less than others), but that's probably the only thing the film has going for it. The writing was poor. The "Can you read my mind" poem that Lois recites in her head while flying around with Superman is one of the most terrible things I've ever heard! And very poorly delivered, I might add. The scene where Luthor figures out Superman's weakness is also horribly written. The plotting was poor, the story was poor, the climax was just silly. It was still fun in a nostalgic way, and Christopher Reeves is a great Superman, but I was shocked to see just how bad most of it was. I was expecting far better. The music was okay, though wink

3/10

WRONG! THIS alone is enough to give the film a 10 out of 10!

-Erik-

Erik is right, christopher is wrong.

The film is brilliant... always will be!!!

And I don't even have to click that link to know what that youtube clip is. cool

And music was okay?????? You sure have a strange way of saying that something as fantastic as one of the best film scores ever written is goosebumps inducing and from start to finish excellent !!! I rest my case ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    I was being sarcastic about the music (hence the wink). All y'all are pretty forgiving of a film just because it's been around a while. I was watching thinking, "I'm not sure how Zach Snyder can do any worse than this..." And I am NOT a Snyder fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    Skyline - atrocious. Can't believe I watched it all the way through.
  7. Southall wrote

me either, absolutely ridiculous. And they're making a sequel of it face-palm-mt

By the way, Battle LA is much better, cooler, enjoyable punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

me either, absolutely ridiculous. And they're making a sequel of it face-palm-mt

Well both are a pile of shit really but indeed la
    Was far better performed and had much grater a score although oth movies won't even be remembered five years from now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Was it my imagination of did I see that Brian Tyler was Executive Producer of Skyline? How come? And how come he didn't score it?
  8. There were some legal issues between Battle: LA and Skyline due to similarities of the stories, so Tyler walked out from scoring Skyline. He gave the scoring duties to Matthew Margeson, a Remote Control composer, who has ghostwritten a lot for Tyler, too.

Margeson was always uncredited on Tyler scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks for the info. I thought the music sounded OK towards the end of Skyline, but wouldn't rush out to buy a CD. Didn't sound Remote Control-like at all to me - but did sound a bit Brian Tyler-like, so that explains that!
  9. Southall wrote
    Thanks for the info. I thought the music sounded OK towards the end of Skyline, but wouldn't rush out to buy a CD. Didn't sound Remote Control-like at all to me - but did sound a bit Brian Tyler-like, so that explains that!

Skyline the score was indeed a whole lot better than the movie
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

Well both are a pile of shit really but indeed la
    Was far better performed and had much grater a score although oth movies won't even be remembered five years from now.

Oh c'mon Battle LA is like a sci-fi 'Black Hawk Down' only not as tightly directed. The movie was more than alright in the action department.

And Skyline, I don't even want to watch it, it's from those dip-shit brothers who brought us AvP: Requiem. vomit
  10. christopher wrote
    I was being sarcastic about the music (hence the wink). All y'all are pretty forgiving of a film just because it's been around a while. I was watching thinking, "I'm not sure how Zach Snyder can do any worse than this..." And I am NOT a Snyder fan.

It's not that we're forgiving, it's a fact it's a movie which has rightfully grown into a classic.

In my humble opinion of course. smile

No, scratch that, Superman is a fucking awesome film that still holds up to this day. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I thought Battle LA was a great sci-fi flick. It's difficult to block out of one's mind that aliens that can travel lightyears through space can be snuffed out with an ancient invention like gunpowder, but besides this aspect I found it a fantastic watch.

Skyline I only found great in the alien design, CGI and sound department, so those parts I found awesome. But a movie requires more than that to be good. The characters were annoying with poor dialogue and the actors crap. Still, it's a movie that I could watch again simply because I like alien invasions and cool CGI.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    I thought Battle LA was a great sci-fi flick. It's difficult to block out of one's mind that aliens that can travel lightyears through space can be snuffed out with an ancient invention like gunpowder, but besides this aspect I found it a fantastic watch.

Yeah, but this was America. They have freedom, Jesus and tacos. Nothing can win against that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And speeches!
    Don't forget the speeches!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Yay David Arnold!! Woo!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat.

The same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step, or his first baby shaves, and makes his first sound like a man.

Some words can give you a feeling that make your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.

Yay Dimitri Tiomkin! Hurrah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk biggrin

Yay [old] republicanism!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched REVENGE OF THE FALLEN TRANSFORMERS or whatever earlier, a pathetic film with good sfx and John Turturro picking up a paycheck.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4Hva5ZAXw

Really nice!!! Watch it.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    you are forgetting toddlers with tiaras and jersey shore , bro
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.