• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    Also, I found after watching the film I appreciated the score a lot more. It doesn't improve the music, but it does improve the experience. 'Forbidden Friendship' is a particularly good example of that. It's more than just having a 'souvenir' of the film, it's appreciating the context and the narrative. (I'm not too keen on that description in all honesty, although it does apply to a few scores I like.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it certainly made me want to revisit the score, which up to now I found entertaining but not really stand-out special.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Steven wrote
    Also, I found after watching the film I appreciated the score a lot more. It doesn't improve the music, but it does improve the experience. 'Forbidden Friendship' is a particularly good example of that. It's more than just having a 'souvenir' of the film, it's appreciating the context and the narrative. (I'm not too keen on that description in all honesty, although it does apply to a few scores I like.)

I greatly appreciated the score more after having seen the film, so I definitely know what you mean
    But man what an excellent film. On blu-ray it looks and sounds fantastic punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon

(But why does Hollywood consider everything north from Los Angeles to be Scottish????)

From the research I did on the film the director let the actors use their own accents. Both adult male characters Gerard Butler (Paisley) and Craig Ferguson (Glasgow) are Scottish. As for the kids... well, actually, Jay Baruchel, who played Hiccup, is Canadian.

As for the Celtic sound of the film. Berk is mythical island in a mythical place. However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and its score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and it's score.

Sure.
    Yeah.
    That's gotta be it.

(And not at all because Scottish sounds gruff and rough, and a Danish accent is rather sing-songy to listen to... wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Powell has said that the music was inspired by the adult characters' accents.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and it's score.

Sure.
    Yeah.
    That's gotta be it.

(And not at all because Scottish sounds gruff and rough, and a Danish accent is rather sing-songy to listen to... wink )

Don't do that, Martijn. Please. I have a lot of respect for you and you're obviously far more educated than I am but don't patronize me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Powell has said that the music was inspired by the adult characters' accents.

Thank you!

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Sure.
    Yeah.
    That's gotta be it.

Don't do that, Martijn. Please. I have a lot of respect for you and you're obviously far more educated than I am but don't patronize me.

-Erik-

Patronize? confused
    Didn't mean to be at all!

Anyway, I was quite serious. It's the same reason Shrek sounds Scottish and Captain Haddock will sound Scottish.
    Because of the gruffness.
    Danish simply doesn't sound "tough" enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Powell has said that the music was inspired by the adult characters' accents.

Yeah, that's why the music sound Keltish.
    But what's that got to do with the Danish speaking Scottish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Sure.
    Yeah.
    That's gotta be it.

-Erik-

Patronize? confused
    Didn't mean to be at all!

Well, it felt like you gave me the middle finger!

-Erik-
  3. Gruff. Gruff. Gruff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    [b]Erik Woods wrote[/b
    Well, it felt like you gave me the middle finger!

Crikey, not a bit of it, mate! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alright.

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BORING!

Fuck it, I'm gonna see if I can start a religious argument...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrin

I'd like that. The religion thread has been awfully quiet during your hiatus.

There you go.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Come Wednesday evening, I may be inclined to post something after seeing Dawkins at the Royal Albert Hall! It's a shame it's not a live debate, but I'm sure it'll be interesting nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Going to see this? Cool!

Didn't even know he had written another book. Looking it up on wiki it seems to be a book about science aimed at children, so I doubt it will contain much, if anything, about religion though.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Come Wednesday evening, I may be inclined to post something after seeing Dawkins at the Royal Albert Hall! It's a shame it's not a live debate, but I'm sure it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Sounds great! I expect a full report.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    BORING!

Fuck it, I'm gonna see if I can start a religious argument...

There used to be some fantastic religious arguments at FSM about 10 years ago, really heated and would always turn into nasty point scoring, a real shame threads get locked really quickly now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Valhalla Rising

Pretentious, overly long, self important shit with all the appeal of three day old vomit.
    The grainy, overly contrasted photography, the drone of a soundtrack, the heavy, quite incomprehensible monologues intoned gravely by gruff, bearded men all lend the suggestion of an air of respectable artsy-fartsyness, but ill disguises that it's yet another ultraviolent, bloody, 'lonely avenger' story that will appeal mainly to roleplayers and computer game addicts the world over.

Interestingly the vikings in *this* film have rather more Irish accent.
    Plenty of Scots though, still, as the film was tapes entirely in the Highlands, which really are the main attractionof the film! Very rough and untouched scenery!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't know where to put this so here will do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJfRFyE … re=related

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Martijn, You'll want to see this! cool ( nothing to do with 8 legs or anything like that wink )
  4. Oooh, '80s blue neon!!

Nice model, love the engine exhausts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Wow! Imagine having that in your living room and the theme from the emperor playing in the background. Or better yet the Imperial March. Chills guaranteed. punk

Star Wars is COOL. That is a FACT !!!!!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Valhalla Rising

Pretentious, overly long, self important shit with all the appeal of three day old vomit.
    The grainy, overly contrasted photography, the drone of a soundtrack, the heavy, quite incomprehensible monologues intoned gravely by gruff, bearded men all lend the suggestion of an air of respectable artsy-fartsyness, but ill disguises that it's yet another ultraviolent, bloody, 'lonely avenger' story that will appeal mainly to roleplayers and computer game addicts the world over.

Interestingly the vikings in *this* film have rather more Irish accent.
    Plenty of Scots though, still, as the film was tapes entirely in the Highlands, which really are the main attractionof the film! Very rough and untouched scenery!

Agree 100%

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

I WANT ONE!!!!!

I'd rather have a real super star destroyer.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I WANT ONE!!!!!

I'd rather have a real super star destroyer.

Peter smile

Yes dear boy, of course you would. wink
  5. It would be hell to find a parking space at the super market.

But oh why the hell not, let's take up ALL the parking spaces... See who will dare complain about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    30 Rock

I wonder if there's anyone else here who watches this? (I watch a lot of TV shows, I just happen to be watching this one at the moment.) I'm about mid way through season three, and it's one of the best comedy shows I've ever watched. Alec Baldwin absolutely makes this show.
  6. Really? I saw two episodes from it and it hardly impressed me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website