• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    Just watched The Rocketeer for the first time and I loved it! Unlike most modern comic book films, it's not just a series of things that happen; it has proper scenes. And a proper score! shocked And rotoscoping! No CGI! cheesy

punk

Also... this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. plindboe wrote
    I remember Aliens scared the crap out of me too as a 8-10 year old kid. Especially the scene with the woman hanging on the wall. Still, despite being haunted by the memories of that scene, I greatly enjoyed the movie. One of my all-time favourite movies, that I must have seen 10 times since then.

So getting scared and slightly traumatized (wink) isn't always a bad thing. But of course it's different from child to child. Some might get so disturbed by it that it's better if they hadn't seen it at all.

Peter smile

That first viewing of Aliens is what made it into my most-viewed (30-40 times) and loved film. Cameron did a bloody awesome job by not repeating what Scott had done and just amplifying the action by a tenfold.

And I remember being traumatized in 1982 when my parents took me to go see a movie about a cute little alien trapped on our planet and wanting to get home. It gave me nightmares, seriously !!!!! freezing
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Southall wrote
    Poltergeist is the one I remember terrifying me. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I saw it (I think I was in the house by myself, though that does seem like a fairly young age for that to be the case) - my parents wouldn't have let me watch it.

Anyway, next time I saw it (about twenty years later) I thought it was hilariously funny and about as scary as Mother Theresa. Strange how the mind changes.

I have this weird (or wonderful, depending how you look at it) tendency whenever I watch a film to always put myself in the frame of mind like how I watched it the first time. So a movie that scared the crap out of me when I was 10 will still do that. At least I let myself be terrified for the duration of the film, not so much that I'm having nightmares afterwards or having to keep the lights on, goodness no!! smile

I like to relive the experience again and again if you know what I mean. And only the ones that had the most impact on me when I was a kid still manage to do that.

Poltergeist is one of those that still works tremendously on the imagination, you know, the basic elements of fear of what you can't see or don't know about. The clown, the tree, the kidnapping, it still is horrifying stuff. It is also one of the most emotional horror films I've ever seen. There aren't too many that can claim scary and emotionally gripping like Poltergeist can. Spielberg clearly made this one, I'm convinced of that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Little known fact, but Zelda Rubinstein who played the psychic medium from Poltergiest had a short role in Team America. Both excellent movies.
  3. Whaaaat??? For real? biggrin

But you switched the links at first glance. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Little known fact, but Zelda Rubinstein who played the psychic medium from Poltergiest had a short role in Team America. Both excellent movies.

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with CAPTAIN AMERICA. Boy, it was dreadful. Now I know why Alan Silvestri's score was so dull! I read somewhere that Joe Johnston wanted to model the film after Indiana Jones.... but did he mean only Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with CAPTAIN AMERICA. Boy, it was dreadful. Now I know why Alan Silvestri's score was so dull! I read somewhere that Joe Johnston wanted to model the film after Indiana Jones.... but did he mean only Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

-Erik-

I thought it was great fun! ( but then I ...quite enjoyed Crystal Skull )

I have a coat.

:coat:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was very young when I saw Psycho which did scare me.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched a couple of older episodes of Fugitive mainly to hear the music.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011
    Frozen Planet

The first episode of the new BBC documentary series from the Planet Earth team. Absolutely stunning. I won't spend a more satisfying hour with any entertainment medium this year. Spectacular highlights throughout and just when I thought it couldn't get better, along comes a long sequence about killer whales hunting together, with remarkable behaviour (including literally making waves in order to wash seals off icebergs). No matter how many of these things I see, there's always so much I learn. George Fenton's music was exactly as expected, which is to say exquisite and spectacular, but sadly there's no word of an album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011 edited
    Ah, and here's a little interview with "tv theme tune composer" Fenton himself, from the publicity drive for this series (though it's really about his career in general):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne … 624400.stm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet

The first episode of the new BBC documentary series from the Planet Earth team. Absolutely stunning. I won't spend a more satisfying hour with any entertainment medium this year. Spectacular highlights throughout and just when I thought it couldn't get better, along comes a long sequence about killer whales hunting together, with remarkable behaviour (including literally making waves in order to wash seals off icebergs). No matter how many of these things I see, there's always so much I learn. George Fenton's music was exactly as expected, which is to say exquisite and spectacular, but sadly there's no word of an album.

Everything that you said there James.

Absolutely astounding.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I will have to catch up on Frozen Planet tonight, as yesterday I went and saw Tintin. Quite excellent! Some of the action scenes went on too long, but the highlight was a motorbike chase that was a single continuous camera shot. I was sat there with a big grin on my face. cheesy

Very reminiscent of the days of Indy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    I will have to catch up on Frozen Planet tonight, as yesterday I went and saw Tintin. Quite excellent! Some of the action scenes went on too long, but the highlight was a motorbike chase that was a single continuous camera shot. I was sat there with a big grin on my face. cheesy

I'd be interested in how you thought the music -a little disappointing on CD, if I understand everyone correctly- works in film?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    How old is David?

Twelve.

There's so much that he's exposed to that's outside our control. I know that one of his friends is more or less allowed to watch anything that he wants and to play any type of video game.

But at home it is getting to the stage where letting him watch films such as these - that are of good quality and where the violence isn't too gratuitous - under "controlled" conditions may be reasonable.

It's something I have been thinking about recently as well, as the kids are 10 and 11 now. Quinn really likes scary stuff, Julian not so much. He keeps watching but I can see on his face he feels uncomfortable.

I liked watching horror and thrillers and scary movies when I was young. Now I don't like it anymore. So it's hard to judge how the experience is to my children...

The way I see it is this: as a kid you just see a really scary, thrilling or gruesome movie. And you like it or not. You see monsters, blood, ghosts, etc. Now, as an adult, I see the disturbing stuff. The monster is a psychopath, the blood is a murder and some of the horror is just violence.

So because I watch with different eyes now, it's hard to judge what the kids can watch. I think when I'm honest I don't want them to watch the stuff I saw when I was young, but that doesn't make sense.

The other day Red Dragon was on, in the middle of the day (movie channel) and the kids where downstairs too. I really didn't want them to see that but Quinn wanted to finish it. She is 11, the movie is rated 16+. I was pissed at myself for letting her watch, as I didn't agree at all... Julian watched a bit until the tongue ripping part. He said 'eeew' and went upstairs playing with LEGO.

I feel like a bad parent now. I think the movie is too disturbing.
    But I saw Silence of the Lambs when I was about that age I guess... it's confusing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's likely children will be far more disturbed by eerie moods (music, incongruent settings): basically things that really upset what they have constructed or have been taught is a safe surrounding. I would *tend* to think that things like gruesome murders or weird violence is taken much more like cartoon violence: it's SO far rem,oved from anything connected to their reality that it won't have a major impact.

Julian going upstairs when he was done is an excellent example! He didn't seem really disturbed. Just annoyed and uncomfortable. And he very clearly indicated his own boundaries. And I think it's a massive credit to YOU as a parent that he is able to do that!

Obviously there is no one clear indication.
    It's also so very much dependent on the character, (hyper)active imagination of the child, its sensibilities, (in)securities.... heck, I had a near breakdown at age 6 because of a fairly politically correct, modern fairy tale radio play I heard.
    Completely harmless in intent and form, just some of the music, choice of words and my own fantastic imagination turned it into something I found MANY years later was VERY reminiscent of Lovecraftian horror...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you remember what radio play that was Martijn?

Here's a story that used to freak me out as a child LITTLE DOG TURPIE, I understand there are multiple variations of it, one even has the dog named as Dingo ( for Australians? ), the version I remember as a kid was the more brutal version and the illustrations spooked me into having many a childhood nightmare, unfortunately I couldn't find anything to do with the one I still remember quite vividly.

THIS is the closest image I could find that is kind-of similar to what I remember.

Also, this very memorable advertisment HERE perfectly conjurs the nighmarish feel of these kind of folk tales
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I most CERTAINLY do.
    It was called "Het Oinkbeest" (The Oink Beast), and was recorded in 1972 by a very left wing couple of artists (listening back, it was chocfull of hippy and left wing ideas and ideals. A little bit too politically pushy for comfort, really, I guess at age six that really didn't register).

Interestingly that same couple became born again Christians ten years later and are now singing the joys of abstinence and the evil of abortion and all that.

Anyway, it was about a creature that fell from the moon, being lovingly caught up by a group of gnomes.
    However the creatures offspring was kidnapped by nameless, formless things that lived in a land without colour...
    (Seriously, I'm getting goose pimples even writing that! You can SEE the Lovecraftian implications, can't you? God, this thing really scarred me for life).

I still have a copy. Digital even.
    Listened to it once, a few years back. Vowed never to subject any future offspring of mine to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Here's a story that used to freak me out as a child LITTLE DOG TURPIE, I understand there are multiple variations of it, one even has the dog named as Dingo ( for Australians? ), the version I remember as a kid was the more brutal version and the illustrations spooked me into having many a childhood nightmare, unfortunately I couldn't find anything to do with the one I still remember quite vividly.

THIS is the closest image I could find that is kind-of similar to what I remember.

Also, this very memorable advertisment HERE perfectly conjurs the nighmarish feel of these kind of folk tales

My GOD!
    That is THOROUGHLY eerie stuff.

I'm trying to think why it hits home so immediately.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that all three examples feature creatures with whose proportions are....well...disproportionate? I seem to remember a psychology studies that suggests that wrong dimensions and proportions trigger feelings of uncanniness and eeriness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hotel Rwanda

Very powerful movie. Difficult to sit through, but rewarding in the end.

Rating: 8

Paul

Twas ok. Exactly what you'd expect from the trailer.

Rating: 6

Drag me to hell

I love it! It contained many of the unique, outrageous horror-comedy elements found in the Evil dead trilogy, and it's suprising that Sam Raimi still seem to have it in him after all this time, especially considering that his previous movie was the exceptionally bad Spider-man 3.

Captain America

Meh. Found it rather dull. It seemed more like a war movie than a superhero movie. Captain America's superpowers just seem to be that he's stronger and faster than normal people and he has a shield that he throws. Yawn fest. Oh, and Hugo Weaving has such a cool look about him, so it annoyed me when he suddenly turned into Skeletor.

Rating: 4

28 days later

One of my favourite zombie apocalypse movies. Fell a bit apart in the last third of the movie, but overall it's a great flick.

Rating: 7

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I saw Paul too and I enjoyed it although I found it a but naive and childish at places, still it was pleasant and well hearted enough. The music is very good in the movie but ven better n cd.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Bregje wrote
    It's something I have been thinking about recently as well, as the kids are 10 and 11 now. Quinn really likes scary stuff, Julian not so much. He keeps watching but I can see on his face he feels uncomfortable.

I liked watching horror and thrillers and scary movies when I was young. Now I don't like it anymore. So it's hard to judge how the experience is to my children...

The way I see it is this: as a kid you just see a really scary, thrilling or gruesome movie. And you like it or not. You see monsters, blood, ghosts, etc. Now, as an adult, I see the disturbing stuff. The monster is a psychopath, the blood is a murder and some of the horror is just violence.

So because I watch with different eyes now, it's hard to judge what the kids can watch. I think when I'm honest I don't want them to watch the stuff I saw when I was young, but that doesn't make sense.

The other day Red Dragon was on, in the middle of the day (movie channel) and the kids where downstairs too. I really didn't want them to see that but Quinn wanted to finish it. She is 11, the movie is rated 16+. I was pissed at myself for letting her watch, as I didn't agree at all... Julian watched a bit until the tongue ripping part. He said 'eeew' and went upstairs playing with LEGO.

I feel like a bad parent now. I think the movie is too disturbing.
    But I saw Silence of the Lambs when I was about that age I guess... it's confusing.

I find this all very interesting. Thanks for sharing! I don't think you should allow your children to watch things that disturb you now simply because you watched things like that when you were a kid. If you don't feel comfortable with them watching something, don't let them watch! The fact that you used to watch stuff like that, but don't anymore should be all the MORE reason for them NOT to watch. You've been there, but are now older and wiser.

I also think that some kids are much less disturbed by things than other kids. You were clearly not easily disturbed as a child. Quinn is obviously not either. But Julian is. He's clearly more sensitive to that kind of stuff. I personally avoided scary movies like the plague when I was a kid. I remember being absolutely terrified by a film as a child, but then seeing it years later and realizing that it was actually a comedy for children slighty older than myself smile Some kids have a much lower tolerance for that kind of stuff.

There are many studies that have shown that children, because their minds are not completely developed, have a harder time separating what they see on TV from reality. I can't link you to any of those studies right now, but I read several of them during my master's studies. This is a bigger deal at ages 3-6 than 10 and 11, but there is still some of that there.

My advice: if something makes you uncomfortable as a parent, don't let your own childhood experiences hold your present parenting hostage. Your kids are old enough that if you explain to them why you don't want them doing / watching something, they will understand at least to a certain point.

Chris
  5. plindboe wrote
    Hotel Rwanda

Peter smile

That is a VERY powerful film. And Don Cheadle (sp?) was AMAZING in it. That film opened my eyes to a terrible atrocity that I had never heard much about, and made me ashamed that my country didn't do anything significant to help. It's not a film I really enjoyed watching, but one that I'm really glad I saw, and one I would watch again, just because it's such an important film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never heard it
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

I'd be interested in how you thought the music -a little disappointing on CD, if I understand everyone correctly- works in film?

It's better on CD. It's a little hacked up in the film. I think most of the finale cue was changed to tracked in music from Sir Francis And The Unicorn.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Hotel Rwanda

Peter smile

That is a VERY powerful film. And Don Cheadle (sp?) was AMAZING in it. That film opened my eyes to a terrible atrocity that I had never heard much about, and made me ashamed that my country didn't do anything significant to help. It's not a film I really enjoyed watching, but one that I'm really glad I saw, and one I would watch again, just because it's such an important film.

I highly recommend another film about the same subject, SHOOTING DOGS. Again not easy viewing, an incredibly powerful film and again with superb performances, amongst them the always great John Hurt. It's a painful film and yet uplifting at times, I urge you to watch it.

Many of the makers in this film are themselves Rwandan survivors and I deny anyone not to be moved by the closing credits.

Oh, and last but not least, Dario Marianelli's score is superb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That film has an absolutely beautiful score by Dario indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I most CERTAINLY do.
    It was called "Het Oinkbeest" (The Oink Beast), and was recorded in 1972 by a very left wing couple of artists (listening back, it was chocfull of hippy and left wing ideas and ideals. A little bit too politically pushy for comfort, really, I guess at age six that really didn't register).

Interestingly that same couple became born again Christians ten years later and are now singing the joys of abstinence and the evil of abortion and all that.

Anyway, it was about a creature that fell from the moon, being lovingly caught up by a group of gnomes.
    However the creatures offspring was kidnapped by nameless, formless things that lived in a land without colour...
    (Seriously, I'm getting goose pimples even writing that! You can SEE the Lovecraftian implications, can't you? God, this thing really scarred me for life).

I still have a copy. Digital even.
    Listened to it once, a few years back. Vowed never to subject any future offspring of mine to it.

Oh yes, I DO SEE the Lovecraftian implications, I think that would have totally creeped me out and given me nightmares at a young age, it's hard to imagine how I'd take it now, I looked it up on youtube but none of it is in English.