• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011 edited
    Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull

It seemed to have several elements of other Indiana Jones movies, but somehow it never worked. Shia LaBeouf and Karen Allen I didn't think were good additions, and nearly all the action scenes were way too unrealistic. And what's with the chipmunks?

Ratings:

Indy 1: 9½ outta 10
    Indy 2: 9½
    Indy 3: 9½
    Indy 4: 5

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011
    Oh and also saw Marley and me

Thought it was kinda average and way too long, but the ending, holy crap, I got such a big lump in my throat that it physically hurt. I'm serious, I was in actual physical pain.

Rating: 6

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Ratings:

Indy 1: 10 outta 10
    Indy 2: 10
    Indy 4: -100

Made a few tiny corrections for you. You're welcome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Ratings:

-Erik-

Hehe, actually I was just about to edit my post to say 10, 10 and 9½. You're absolutely right!

-100 is a bit out of the 1-10 scale, but yes, it is such a disappointment.

Anyway, I hope they make a 5th movie. Even if the movie fails, it would be great to get another Williams score. It's a shame that they can't bring back the nazis though. I want nazis in the next movie, rather than the boring ruskies.

Peter smile
  1. plindboe wrote

Thought it was kinda average and way too long, but the ending, holy crap, I got such a big lump in my throat that it physically hurt. I'm serious, I was in actual physical pain.

Peter slant

I was crying waterfalls at the end cry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. plindboe wrote

Peter slant

Yeah, for lovers of canines this movie will make grown men cry.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I was crying waterfalls at the end cry

Indeed! I once watched a documentary about a veterinary clinic where a guy had to say goodbye to his dog before they put the dog to sleep. This is how it actually happens in real life, just as we see in the movie. Just seeing this big tough guy completely breaking down to say goodbye to his dog completely destroyed me. I really can't see stuff like this without totally losing it.

In any case, it's strange how we sometimes react so much more strongly to animals than other humans. Perhaps because they love us unconditionally, they make such a huge impacts on us.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Anyway, I hope they make a 5th movie. Even if the movie fails, it would be great to get another Williams score. It's a shame that they can't bring back the nazis though. I want nazis in the next movie, rather than the boring ruskies.

Peter smile

I want them to do a few thing. Kill Mutt. Leave Marion at home. Cast Tom Selleck as the bad guy. And I want this to be a globetrotting adventure. Visit all four corners of the world. Make it a race between Selleck and Ford as to who finds the MacGuffin first!

Also, have the open action sequence which explains why Indy goes into retirement. I wrote an Indy script a long time ago where Indy was on a "field trip" with his students. That's when a former enemy of Indy's ambushes the field trip and kills one of the students. With all that guilt on his conscience Indy hangs up the whip, quits as a professor and goes into a deep depression. Ah, maybe that's where Mutt gets it. Yes... oooooh, I like this. Mutt is the student killed. Back home Marion has a cameo just before he is offered one last adventure. We find out that Indy's equal and high school/college best friend Selleck is out to find an artifact, yada, yada, yada and we go on a one last world wide adventure. The MacGuffin is The Lost City of Atlantis, which is in the Bermuda Triangle. But in order to find the city there are four clues scattered across the earth and Indy and Shellek race to find them! The last act takes place in the Burmuda Triangle where all sort of booby traps and super natural shit can happen which is what made Raiders and Temple soooooo awesome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Ratings:

-Erik-

That sounds about right. The 4th is the opposite of fun.

I still call it the Indy Trilogy and it always will be.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I want them to do a few thing. Kill Mutt. Leave Marion at home. Cast Tom Selleck as the bad guy. And I want this to be a globetrotting adventure. Visit all four corners of the world. Make it a race between Selleck and Ford as to who finds the MacGuffin first!

Also, have the open action sequence which explains why Indy goes into retirement. I wrote an Indy script a long time ago where Indy was on a "field trip" with his students. That's when a former enemy of Indy's ambushes the field trip and kills one of the students. With all that guilt on his conscience Indy hangs up the whip, quits as a professor and goes into a deep depression. Ah, maybe that's where Mutt gets it. Yes... oooooh, I like this. Mutt is the student killed. Back home Marion has a cameo just before he is offered one last adventure. We find out that Indy's equal and high school/college best friend Selleck is out to find an artifact, yada, yada, yada and we go on a one last world wide adventure. The MacGuffin is The Lost City of Atlantis, which is in the Bermuda Triangle. But in order to find the city there are four clues scattered across the earth and Indy and Shellek race to find them! The last act takes place in the Burmuda Triangle where all sort of booby traps and super natural shit can happen which is what made Raiders and Temple soooooo awesome!

-Erik-

Obviously you've put alot of thought into this. Anyway, I think most of us have fantasized about Shia LaBeouf getting killed (and Tom Selleck getting a role in a blockbuster movie), so you're not exactly being original.

Still, sounds better than Indy 4.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote

Obviously you've put alot of thought into this. Anyway, I think most of us have fantasized about Shia LaBeouf getting killed (and Tom Selleck getting a role in a blockbuster movie), so you're not being very original.

Most of my Indy-related fantasies involve Alison Doody. smile
    But I guess this conversation is taking a turn for the worse now.... shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    In any case, it's strange how we sometimes react so much more strongly to animals than other humans. Perhaps because they love us unconditionally, they make such a huge impacts on us.

For me it's more about the animal's lack of understanding. An animal has a limited ability to understand what's going on, and that must make any ordeal even more harrowing. That's what really gets to me at least, it has very little to do with whether they love us unconditionally or not (which of course only applies to certain pets, rather than in a general sense).

I'm guessing I shouldn't watch Marley & Me... not with other people at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

Obviously you've put alot of thought into this. Anyway, I think most of us have fantasized about Shia LaBeouf getting killed (and Tom Selleck getting a role in a blockbuster movie), so you're not being very original.

I sure wouldn't have minded being tied up...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

lol, he said doody. shit

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

For me it's more about the animal's lack of understanding. An animal has a limited ability to understand what's going on, and that must make any ordeal even more harrowing. That's what really gets to me at least, it has very little to do with whether they love us unconditionally or not (which of course only applies to certain pets, rather than in a general sense).

I'm guessing I shouldn't watch Marley & Me... not with other people at least.

Indeed that probably plays a part too. But, perhaps most of all, I think it's because pets look so damn cute! I think humans are more superficial than we prefer to think, and when looking at a big-eyed innocent looking animal we get strong urges to protect and we feel very strongly about them.

Look at a spider for instance and they look like bloody monsters, with 10 eyes staring you down. They've no sympathy for you and you feel no sympathy for them, despite their lack of understanding. I think the social connection and the cuteness factor weighs most heavily.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

-Erik-

I say leave it in peace there's no chance they will ever reach the previous classics' qualities.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sure they can! Let them at least attempt to correct the wrong that was Indy 4.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Highly doubt it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

Indeed that probably plays a part too. But, perhaps most of all, I think it's because pets look so damn cute! I think humans are more superficial than we prefer to think, and when looking at a big-eyed innocent looking animal we get strong urges to protect and we feel very strongly about them.

Look at a spider for instance and they look like bloody monsters, with 10 eyes staring you down. They've no sympathy for you and you feel no sympathy for them, despite their lack of understanding. I think the social connection and the cuteness factor weighs most heavily.

Peter smile

Yes, that too. I completely agree that beauty plays a very large part. Though speaking for myself, no matter what the creature, no matter how ugly or pretty it is, if it has the ability to experience happiness and emotions, and therefore pain and suffering, I feel just as bad for it than I do for any other creature. This is why I have no remorse when I kill flies... the little fuckers. :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Due Date

Reasonably witty comedy. 5/10

Unstoppable

Tony Scott's best film in a couple of decades. 2/10

The Tourist

Casting Angelina Jolie in your film can make up for a multitude of sins. My god, she is stunning. But for this film to work, you have to believe Johnny Depp is an ordinary chap. He dials all his usual shtick right down, but that makes him fairly pointless. JNH's score is utterly, dumfoundingly cringeworthy, presumably he didn't write any of it himself (shame on him if he did). 4/10
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking of JNH I just had the misfortune to (barely) sit through LADY IN THE WATER.

Utter, complete junk...RUBBISH!

JNH's score is the only redeaming feature of this turd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Talking of JNH I just had the misfortune to (barely) sit through LADY IN THE WATER.

I quite liked it, probably because of the music smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Unstoppable

Agreed. Tony Scott is one of the worst directors, along with Michael Bay and George Lucas. Ney, perhaps even worse. At least George Lucas has the good sense to allow good music in his films.

It could have been a mildly interesting film were it not for Scott's prepubescent style of directing. Good god what a terrible film.
  5. Timmer wrote

That's strange. I think Lady still does have a bit of that magic that is overflowing in his first three films. I like the slightly crazy ensemble cast and how Night gives his characters their own respective meaning in the story.
  6. REC & REC 2

This weekend, we saw the first and immediatly the second after it. Needless to say, it was a tense couple of hours. The first still remains one of the creepiest films I've ever seen, because they made it look all so realistic and it the horror just keeps on coming. The second favors action for all out terror, though it still has its moments.

How they did some of these incredible practical effects is bloody amazing! shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    The Tourist

Casting Angelina Jolie in your film can make up for a multitude of sins. My god, she is stunning. But for this film to work, you have to believe Johnny Depp is an ordinary chap. He dials all his usual shtick right down, but that makes him fairly pointless. JNH's score is utterly, dumfoundingly cringeworthy, presumably he didn't write any of it himself (shame on him if he did). 4/10

I watched this on Sky yesterday and oddly, I quite liked this. I got the score when it first came out, listened to it once and hated it. Sounded as if it were trying to be like Duplicity but failed. Completely forgot about it until yesterday when I heard it it sounded like John Powell-lite. Enjoyed it.

Apparantly Gabriel Yared originally scored the movie but it was rejected. Wonder what that was like...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    When you say 'Yared' and 'rejected' in the same sentence, all I can hear is Troy...
  7. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Unstoppable

Agreed. Tony Scott is one of the worst directors, along with Michael Bay and George Lucas. Ney, perhaps even worse. At least George Lucas has the good sense to allow good music in his films.

It could have been a mildly interesting film were it not for Scott's prepubescent style of directing. Good god what a terrible film.

I happen to love Unstoppable, it was one of the most intense action movies I've seen in last years, really. And his filmmaking is not as crazy as it is in most of his recent films, he calmed down here.

I also saw Top Gun recently for the third time maybe. The script is far from brilliant, but literally nobody has visually topped the aerial fight scenes yet. Visually it is the best dogfight movie ever made.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're wrong. He's shite, and so are his films.

Fact.
  8. I won't mention that Crimson Tide is one of my all-time favorite movies ever made (yes, it is). Spy Game makes for a very intelligent thriller, which is recently sadly even a rarity in political thrillers, Man on Fire is one of the most misunderstood action films of all time, just because it's very graphic and the filmmaking is almost unbearable at times, but here's the thing - it's the way it's supposed to be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website