• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'm actually thinking Carpenter's THE THING cool

Oh, that's not a bad alternative at all!

Peter punk

I didn't bother watching anything in the end. I don't think it'll be that long before I watch THE THING again, it's been at least a year or two since I last saw it.....far too long.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Just watched and heard 'Revenge of the Sith' on blu-ray, an absolutely stunning presentation if I ever saw one. This viewing has now confirmed that I absolutely love this prequel, it certainly is the best scripted and acted of the three films, and the ending and the way old George wraps everything up has me in tears every time. The music also plays a vital role in my enjoyment, and I must hunt down the complete score of this, because it has all these great renditions of themes from the OT that aren't on the album.

From the moment Order 66 is being executed the film really turns into that Star Wars magic that I love from the sequels. Takes my breath away everytime.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The complete score is very easy to find. Unfortunately there's some dodgy editing, but it's worth having just for the film version of the opening battle sequence.

Alas, the film itself will always remain terrible no matter how you watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011 edited
    The film is excellent and a worthy addition to the Trilogy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really, those two seconds RUIN it for you?
    Dude! It's not like they inserted it into the original Tril....oh....wait....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    George Lucas continues to upset me. Though I may have overreacted upon seeing those particular changes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    Steven wrote
    No, it isn't.

I just watched Alone in the dark and coincidentally Darth Vader expresses my feelings about this movie to a tee.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I watched Sith again... this time with Liam. He got bored of it after the first and LAST space battle (isn't this Star Wars?) and I, for the first time, was bored with it, too. It's still the best prequel but that doesn't really mean much. A polished turd is still a turd. Sith is plagued with the same problems as the first two prequels. The script stinks, the direction stinks, the acting stinks, the effects are dodgy. Saving grace is Ian McDiarmid chewing it up as The Emperor (although "ABSOLUTE POWER!" is absolute shit!) Williams' score is excellent but the tracked in Duel of the Fates during the Yoda Vs. Emperor fight B-L-O-W-S! So does the TERRIBLE end credit suite! Probably the worst of his career!

None of the prequels comes even close to the class of the original trilogy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

yeah

I have to say that I do enjoy this one. It has many faults though, many of which have been pointed out plus I felt absolutely nothing, nothing when Anakin killed the young Jedi's, what should have been a shocking and emotionally crushing sequence merely becomes a shrug of the shoulders, a serious epic fail!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just been watching Attack of the clones due to this discussion. It was much better than I had remembered, even though the Anakin/Padmé love affair seemed forced and defied belief. How Padmé, who's playing a character with alot of wisdom and maturity could fall for Anakin, who's playing a whiny little brat throughout this movie, just makes no sense. Also, Hayden Christensen isn't a good enough actor for such a role. Oh, and some of the lines are unbelievably corny. My ratings so far:

Episode IV: 10
    Episode V: 10
    Episode VI: 10
    Episode I: 4
    Episode II: 7

Will see episode III tomorrow.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

shocked

You have a forgiving soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That, or the wrong pills! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited
    David is trying to watch Once Upon A Time In The West at the moment. Taking it in small bites, he is getting through it. He seems drawn to the Western genre. He tried to watch How The West Was Won at the weekend but it wasn't the sort of Western he wants to see.

He watched Dances With Wolves recently too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    He tried to watch How The West Was Won at the weekend but it wasn't the sort of Western he wants to see.

Not violent enough? wink
  2. Worryingly, no I don't think it was! wink

Also, yesterday he made an inventory of all our DVDs (packed in boxes at the moment). He made a special point of asking whether Aliens was Alien 2. So, he now knows where to find all the violent films for when Anne and I are next out for the day.

But there are so many films that I want David to see - Alien, Aliens, The Thing, The Omen, etc. But, it maybe still a bit too early for that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How old is David?
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Show him the really great horror films, Alien, Aliens, Poltergeist like when I saw them as a kid, and their impression will last a lifetime. It does for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a decision to be made by parents as there is a fair amount of violence involved. As children do we need to be subjected to this?
  4. sdtom wrote
    How old is David?

Twelve.

There's so much that he's exposed to that's outside our control. I know that one of his friends is more or less allowed to watch anything that he wants and to play any type of video game.

But at home it is getting to the stage where letting him watch films such as these - that are of good quality and where the violence isn't too gratuitous - under "controlled" conditions may be reasonable.
  5. Timmer wrote

yeah

I have to say that I do enjoy this one. It has many faults though, many of which have been pointed out plus I felt absolutely nothing, nothing when Anakin killed the young Jedi's, what should have been a shocking and emotionally crushing sequence merely becomes a shrug of the shoulders, a serious epic fail!

I really have to say that EP III comes very close to the original trilogy. That sequence you mention does something to me, I think it's a highly emotional moment, like when Luke fights Vader at the end of Jedi. The music only enhances that feeling.

Overall ROTS starts out as an adventurous romp, but turns dark pretty soon and Christensen did a fine job fleshing his character out and adding his weight to the darker tone. He is seemingly more at ease playing a bad guy than a good guy.

Loved seeing Palpatine transform into the emperor, even though we all knew who this guy really was since EP I.

Hell, I enjoy all the films in all honesty. Even the questionably scripted and acted AOTC gets a good rating. At least the action scenes are fun, even though the love story is non-existent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

shocked

You have a forgiving soul.

I know. I remember being bored in the beginning of the movie, but with all the battles and effects at the end I found myself enjoying it. I know that it's even one of the most essential complaints about the prequels, that they filled them up with CGI effects instead of likable characters, well-written dialogue, interesting plot lines etc., but somehow I still ended up enjoying it. shame

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

I really have to say that EP III comes very close to the original trilogy.

The only way that Episode III could possibly come close to the original trilogy is if you put the DVDs next to one another.

Admittedly, though, if you switch off your brain and don't think about everything that's wrong about the prequels, and forget that it has anything to do with the originals, I can sort of understand why the noises and colours that attempt to make a movie can be mildly entertaining. But that's about as far as I'll go in terms of praising those films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    How old is David?

Twelve.

There's so much that he's exposed to that's outside our control. I know that one of his friends is more or less allowed to watch anything that he wants and to play any type of video game.

But at home it is getting to the stage where letting him watch films such as these - that are of good quality and where the violence isn't too gratuitous - under "controlled" conditions may be reasonable.

I would first ask him what sort of movies he has watched.

I remember being 10 years old watching Lamberto Bava's "Demons" at a team party. About 20 minutes in when all the gore and horror starts I ran out of the room scared to bloody hell, crying my eyes out. I was pretty much out of control. I ran upstairs where I dropped to my knees and sobbed. The coaches wife found me there and it took a good 30 minutes for me to calm down. I left a great impression on my teammates. slant

Now, at that time, I had seen Robocop and some other pretty violence films but was never exposed to horror violence. A few year later I saw Aliens - I was 11 or so and it gave me nightmares for weeks. No word of a lie. But around the same time I saw Prince of Darkness and loved it! Go figure!

I'm sure you're a responsible parent and have already asked these sort of things but that's my own personal experience with the horror genre at that age.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan will make the right choice.
  6. sdtom wrote
    Alan will make the right choice.

I will make the choice that I believe is right. Slightly different!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Can I make the choice?
    Then all you need to do is do the polar opposite and it'll be right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I remember Aliens scared the crap out of me too as a 8-10 year old kid. Especially the scene with the woman hanging on the wall. Still, despite being haunted by the memories of that scene, I greatly enjoyed the movie. One of my all-time favourite movies, that I must have seen 10 times since then.

So getting scared and slightly traumatized (wink) isn't always a bad thing. But of course it's different from child to child. Some might get so disturbed by it that it's better if they hadn't seen it at all.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited
    At that age I got scared shitless by Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poltergeist is the one I remember terrifying me. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I saw it (I think I was in the house by myself, though that does seem like a fairly young age for that to be the case) - my parents wouldn't have let me watch it.

Anyway, next time I saw it (about twenty years later) I thought it was hilariously funny and about as scary as Mother Theresa. Strange how the mind changes.