• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    I had the same reaction when I first started to watch it, couldn't care less. But then I started to get into to it and it just, I dunno, clicked. Alec Baldwin really is fantastic in this show.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I didn't know where to put this so here will do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJfRFyE … re=related

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Martijn, You'll want to see this! cool ( nothing to do with 8 legs or anything like that wink )

Martijn, you seen this yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    GREEN LANTERN

A very uneven film that feels rushed, still, I must have been in the right mood because I rather enjoyed it, maybe it was because my expectations were so low after reading nothing but bad reviews? Anyway, I enjoyed this load of old hokum, daft as it was.

James Newton Howard's score ( what I noticed of it ) was very underwhelming and generic with no stand-outs at all, there was the odd bit that pricked my ears but nothing that would make me rush out to buy the CD, a real shame as I had originally had high hopes when it was announced that JNH was to score it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Martijn, you seen this yet?

I've seen it before, actually. smile Wow! Very impressive indeed.
    I wish I had the space -and the skill! slant- to do somethink like that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Don't you have Jedi powers? I was under the impression you are one of Yoda's padawans.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer wrote
    GREEN LANTERN

A very uneven film that feels rushed, still, I must have been in the right mood because I rather enjoyed it, maybe it was because my expectations were so low after reading nothing but bad reviews? Anyway, I enjoyed this load of old hokum, daft as it was.

James Newton Howard's score ( what I noticed of it ) was very underwhelming and generic with no stand-outs at all, there was the odd bit that pricked my ears but nothing that would make me rush out to buy the CD, a real shame as I had originally had high hopes when it was announced that JNH was to score it.

There's a extended cut. I heard that improves the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    I noticed that Red Cliff was on TV last night and I wanted to watch it to hear the music in the movie.

Didn't pay attention very well in the beginning but I saw some impressive images already. Then the kids went to bed to the second half I could watch it better. It's a movie I'd like to see again, there was some stunning cool stuff in there. Beautiful images.

Oh, and the music is still awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and it's score.

That's gotta be it.
    (And not at all because Scottish sounds gruff and rough, and a Danish accent is rather sing-songy to listen to... wink )
    Anyway, I was quite serious. It's the same reason Shrek sounds Scottish and Captain Haddock will sound Scottish.
    Because of the gruffness.
    Danish simply doesn't sound "tough" enough.

Well, I stand corrected. wink
    (This should probably go into the science or interesting world thread, but the connection was just too good to pass up.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Bregje wrote
    I noticed that Red Cliff was on TV last night and I wanted to watch it to hear the music in the movie.

Didn't pay attention very well in the beginning but I saw some impressive images already. Then the kids went to bed to the second half I could watch it better. It's a movie I'd like to see again, there was some stunning cool stuff in there. Beautiful images.

The 2 and a half hour cut, or the full 5 hours? because that's the version (over two films) I have and recommend. There's just too much character development to put into one film, and while I haven't watched the shorter cut I'm sure it's severely lacking. Awesome in every respect, but you have to have a thing for John Woo's obsession with over-stylizing action and combat scenes. His best film since Face/Off. And the music does the trick, while not being very original.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and it's score.

That's gotta be it.
    (And not at all because Scottish sounds gruff and rough, and a Danish accent is rather sing-songy to listen to... wink )
    Anyway, I was quite serious. It's the same reason Shrek sounds Scottish and Captain Haddock will sound Scottish.
    Because of the gruffness.
    Danish simply doesn't sound "tough" enough.

Well, I stand corrected. wink
    (This should probably go into the science or interesting world thread, but the connection was just too good to pass up.)

Wait a minute... did you think I was making up the bit about a Viking conquered section of the British Isles?

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Argh! No! I *know* they conquered part of the British isles (and France).

I'm just pretty sure that that bit of historical accuracy was NOT what Dreamworks was aiming for when they decided on accent casting.

I just found it funny that on the back of that discussion one of THE major archaeological finds on Vikings was made in Scotland, is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Going to see Contagion now at the cinema.......hope it's good!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently it's quite infectious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    I hope there's a remedy for your terrible puns.

This was edited for reasons other than grammar mistakes. Definitely wasn't a grammar mistake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I hope there's a remedy for you're terrible puns.

Don't make me come over there, boyo....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Come at me, bro.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I will pay you a lot of money not to tell Timmer.
    A lot of money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait. Why am I quoting it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've decided to spend the next week or so watching Billy Wilder films. Tonight it will be Ace In The Hole (1951) He was such a good director.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I will pay you a lot of money not to tell Timmer.
    A lot of money.

Well, there certainly isn't enough money to make me forget this! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregje wrote

The 2 and a half hour cut, or the full 5 hours? because that's the version (over two films) I have and recommend. There's just too much character development to put into one film, and while I haven't watched the shorter cut I'm sure it's severely lacking. Awesome in every respect, but you have to have a thing for John Woo's obsession with over-stylizing action and combat scenes. His best film since Face/Off. And the music does the trick, while not being very original.

Really? Five hours?
    I saw the short version on TV then. Well, also five hours including the commercial breaks... wink

Perhaps it's a good idea to watch the long version when I want to see it again, to have a better look, as I already said.

By the way, in this short version I wonderered if there was an extended score out there because I heard a lot of music that is not on the album. Knowing now that the original movie is much longer I'm starting to think there must be an extended score album too??

I love the score. One of my most played scores in recent years.
  4. About Red Cliff, from what I've heard over the course of two films, the first film's score is found on the album we can buy everywhere, but the music from the second film is apparantly only released for asian territories. I think it's this album.

In all honesty I thought the music from the 2nd part wasn't as memorable as that of the first film. So IMHO the best material is found on the regular released album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. Watched the 1946 version with Lana Turner and John Garfield. There is no OST of this one. As I said in the book thread the book is far superior.
    Tom smile
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=13987
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, directed by Otto Preminger brought Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney together again in this noir thriller about a cop who takes matters into his own hand. Not as strong as Laura it is still a good thriller.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I fancy watching some films later tonight but I'm not sure what yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

The shining (1980 version)
    An american werewolf in London

You're welcome.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

The shining (1980 version)
    An american werewolf in London

You're welcome.

Peter smile

I used to have both of those on VHS.....got rid of hundreds of those old tapes.

I'm actually thinking Carpenter's THE THING cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I'm actually thinking Carpenter's THE THING cool

Oh, that's not a bad alternative at all!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    sdtom wrote
    WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, directed by Otto Preminger brought Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney together again in this noir thriller about a cop who takes matters into his own hand. Not as strong as Laura it is still a good thriller.
    Tom smile

I failed to comment that Alfred Newman's "Street Scene" theme was used as the main theme for the movie. It took place in New York and has that Gershwin feeling so it makes sense
    Tom