• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    THE LADY KILLERS ( 1955 )

Forget the Coen Brothers awful remake ( a rare missfire from them ) this is the classic original, it was showing on one of the cable channels today and I just couldn't miss up a chance to see it again, this black comedy with it's great cast including Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers and Herbert Lom are what truly classic films are all about, if you've never seen it then I urge you to rent it, buy it, download it.

The score, by Tristram Cary is delightful too.

10/10
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Well Tin Tin is truly worth it. Absolutely amazing visual design, sometimes you just can't tell the difference with a life action movie, truly amazing sight. It's a fun entertaining ride with enough laughs for even the younger children (absolutely a family movie for young and old), and it has a bunch of Spielberg shots that carry his stamp. The Morocco chase through the city is simply one of the best scenes of the year for me.

Oh, and Williams score as could be expected works perfectly around that. Like Avatar, it is the experience of the year you have to expose yourself too. If not for the visual design, than simply for the fun you'll get out of it

Can't decide between a 7 and an 8 for me, because I coughed half the movie through sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    I saw Paul too and I enjoyed it although I found it a but naive and childish at places, still it was pleasant and well hearted enough. The music is very good in the movie but ven better n cd.

I did notice the excellent music in the end where Paul's friends came to take him home (No need for spoiler tags; it's bloody obvious this would happen).

christopher wrote
    That is a VERY powerful film. And Don Cheadle (sp?) was AMAZING in it. That film opened my eyes to a terrible atrocity that I had never heard much about, and made me ashamed that my country didn't do anything significant to help. It's not a film I really enjoyed watching, but one that I'm really glad I saw, and one I would watch again, just because it's such an important film.

Indeed!

It's sad though that it requires a movie for the world to care about a tragedy like this. When these things go down, people just watch it on the news and say "That's terrible!... pass the popcorn". But watching a well-made movie portraying the events and we sob our eyes out.

I do think movies like these are extremely important though, so we can hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Can't decide between a 7 and an 8 for me, because I coughed half the movie through sad

I'm conflicted, because I like you, Thomas, but I really hate coughing people in the cinema (or concerts). I always think "If you've got a cough, stay home instead of ruining the experience for the rest of us!".

Hope you get well soon though. smile Having a cold can be bloody awful.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I saw Paul too and I enjoyed it although I found it a but naive and childish at places, still it was pleasant and well hearted enough. The music is very good in the movie but ven better n cd.

I did notice the excellent music in the end where Paul's friends came to take him home (No need for spoiler tags; it's bloody obvious this would happen).

christopher wrote
    That is a VERY powerful film. And Don Cheadle (sp?) was AMAZING in it. That film opened my eyes to a terrible atrocity that I had never heard much about, and made me ashamed that my country didn't do anything significant to help. It's not a film I really enjoyed watching, but one that I'm really glad I saw, and one I would watch again, just because it's such an important film.

Indeed!

It's sad though that it requires a movie for the world to care about a tragedy like this. When these things go down, people just watch it on the news and say "That's terrible!... pass the popcorn". But watching a well-made movie portraying the events and we sob our eyes out.

I do think movies like these are extremely important though, so we can hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Peter smile

I liked Hotel Rwanda but as I said in an earlier post, do check out SHOOTING DOGS, I think it's a better film, less slick and Hollywood than 'Rwanda' which is something that distanced me from that film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I'm conflicted, because I like you, Thomas, but I really hate coughing people in the cinema (or concerts). I always think "If you've got a cough, stay home instead of ruining the experience for the rest of us!".

Hope you get well soon though. smile Having a cold can be bloody awful.

Peter smile

I hate that too Peter. But the tickets were already ordered, pre paid (just had to print them) and I tried to cough as much during the action scenes. I wasn't sick when I ordered the tickets, so I didn't want to throw this money away. I didn't get any complaints so the people were either nice, or weren't bothered by it. My brother sat next to me and he wasn't bothered at all, I guess he was just being nice wink

hopefully it will be my only time, but if the movie wasn't pre ordered, then I probably shouldn't have gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, I can understand the dilemma, when the tickets have already been ordered. Sounds like you handed it well under the circumstances.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I liked Hotel Rwanda but as I said in an earlier post, do check out SHOOTING DOGS, I think it's a better film, less slick and Hollywood than 'Rwanda' which is something that distanced me from that film.

I've watched the trailer. Looks good. And John Hurt is always cool.

Peter smile
  3. THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: Great fun, fast-paced adventurous spirit, top notch animation and plenty of stunning imagery, awesome action sequences, a light-hearted tone, a few good laugh, Indiana Jones lite in a nutshell. beer

And as for the score in the film, best marriage of visuals and music in a long time for me... John has contributed immensely to the audio aspect of the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE This was an awful film and it was put out by 20th Century Fox! I've seen better films from the 'B' movie studios.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011 edited
    Just returned from a number of films shown at the Leiden Film Festival.
    Very good selection this year! Not a one film disappointed! (It helps of course that I only chose films that were highly rated already wink ).

Margin Call

Fictitious feature on "the eve before" the great economic collapse of 2008, and the start of the worldwide crisis that is still a reality. Junior analyst finds that the models an investment firm has been using no longer support the actual trades taking place, with the products actually being worth negative values. A crisis board meeting is called and decisions are taken that set events in motion that shale the world.

Very good roles from especially Jeremy Irons as the CEO and Kevin Spacey as a beset-upon line manager.

There is a very strong documentary feel about the thing, as the events unfold without really direct narrative or emotional connection to any of the main characters, but it's exactly that registration feel that leads to me feeling absolutely furious about the callous disinterest little boys who like their toys play with the fates of millions, without batting an eye lid.

While the film very much shies away from making any kind of moral judgement, I came away with nothing so much as a feeling of a need for violent revolt. If anything is ever to change, I feel a lynch party or two may not be the worst start.

Nathan Larson's soundtrack is mainly in the background, and is not really very memorable in its own right.

4 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet

The first episode of the new BBC documentary series from the Planet Earth team. Absolutely stunning. I won't spend a more satisfying hour with any entertainment medium this year. Spectacular highlights throughout and just when I thought it couldn't get better, along comes a long sequence about killer whales hunting together, with remarkable behaviour (including literally making waves in order to wash seals off icebergs). No matter how many of these things I see, there's always so much I learn. George Fenton's music was exactly as expected, which is to say exquisite and spectacular, but sadly there's no word of an album.

Episode two was excellent too. The penguin stealing the other penguin's little rocks was undoubtedly the comedy moment of the year.
  4. The little penguin moment was indeed a highlight. I didn't find this episode so jaw-dropping as last week's. But, as with last week's episode, I am finding myself being wowed more by the landscape than by the wildlife. Perhaps, over the years, it's taking more effort to find aspects of animal behaviour that hasn't been covered before - and sometimes in more depth.

But nuggest of footage - like last week's seal being pulled off the ice by the killer whale and this week's stone-stealing penguin routine - are already iconic sequences in my book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    I've been watching a bit of the original Fugitive with a fine score from Pete Rugolo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    I picked up a special from Oldies. com http://www.oldies.com/product-view/30320O.html. It is over 4 hours, released by Universal, features Keye Luke as Kato. I watched the first two episodes last night. The Green Hornet Strikes Again has a lot of source material, classical in nature but I did hear a bit of Son of Frankenstein stuff. The theme is RK's Flight of the Bumble Bee and Schubert's Unfinished Symphony was used also.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    Keye Luke! shocked
    My God. I only really know him in "eccentric Chinese wizened sage" types of roles!

Hard to imagine that he must at one time have been young too. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Luke also played Charlie Chan's #1 son and was a go to person whenever they required a chinese character actor. Very successful career.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    was a go to person whenever they required a chinese character actor.

I thought that was Burt Kwouk! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Interesting that an oriental never played Chan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, a Belgian never played Hercule Poirot.
    But I see what you mean, and let's face it, oriental Americans were just as discriminated against as their black counterparts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet

The first episode of the new BBC documentary series from the Planet Earth team. Absolutely stunning. I won't spend a more satisfying hour with any entertainment medium this year. Spectacular highlights throughout and just when I thought it couldn't get better, along comes a long sequence about killer whales hunting together, with remarkable behaviour (including literally making waves in order to wash seals off icebergs). No matter how many of these things I see, there's always so much I learn. George Fenton's music was exactly as expected, which is to say exquisite and spectacular, but sadly there's no word of an album.

Episode two was excellent too. The penguin stealing the other penguin's little rocks was undoubtedly the comedy moment of the year.

Just saw (and heard the trailer). Looks fantastic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fshnu_SwAg
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet

Just saw (and heard the trailer). Looks fantastic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fshnu_SwAg

looks amazing indeed, and a good trailer cue too wink Love these guys of Two Steps from Hell
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmmmm going to see TinTin tonight in 3d...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Hmmmmm going to see TinTin tonight in 3d...

enjoy it buddy, I thought 2D was already stunning enough, so 3D will be about the same tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My god that was absolutely fantastic ! I strongly urge you to watch it on 3d, one word: spectacular ! Pure fun, innocent and unashamed, this is of the best movies I've seen during the last years. Spielberg hasn't lost his touch and proves once again why he is so highly regarded. The music is absolutely gorgeous and the movie helped appreciating the score properly, to which I hadn't really connected before, on cd alone that is. Magical.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Well, a Belgian never played Hercule Poirot.
    But I see what you mean, and let's face it, oriental Americans were just as discriminated against as their black counterparts.

worse in some respects
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to watch Lincoln Lawyer tonight
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    My god that was absolutely fantastic !

Glad you liked it, D.! smile
    Were you familiar with Tintin before?
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    My god that was absolutely fantastic ! I strongly urge you to watch it on 3d, one word: spectacular ! Pure fun, innocent and unashamed, this is of the best movies I've seen during the last years. Spielberg hasn't lost his touch and proves once again why he is so highly regarded. The music is absolutely gorgeous and the movie helped appreciating the score properly, to which I hadn't really connected before, on cd alone that is. Magical.

like my brother said, the music works amazingly well with the film, I'll bet it will give you another dimension when you listen to it now
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Good! I actually trust your opinion on this one more than most as I wouldn't have pegged this type of film as your type of film. I have to admit, the music is growing on me... and I've yet to see the film.