• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    I watched ( by the gods, forgive me I beg of you ) THE WICKER MAN, and no, not the Ewar Woowar original but the remake with Nicholas Cage. And here I will only mention the possitives....

A half decent score by Angelo Badalamenti.

The locations were very pretty.

End of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    I've stopped Netflix due to paper deadlines and a hectic schedule. But I did manage to see a film last night...

Irreversible
    Interesting film that plays out in reverse order much like Memento. The content is very disturbing with a brutal, violent scene and a prolonged rape scene that are really tough to bear. The opening 30 minutes or so were very disorienting due to the camera, lighting and sound. If not for the reverse order there's not much interesting in this film.

Disturbing indeed. I pretty much liked the usage of source music in the film though, especially the Beethoven piece over the final scenes, if i remember correctly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    The other day, I watched Jaws. Been years since I saw it and it's certainly dated in places, but what a fine piece of entertainment it is. One of Spielberg's best (and by extension, one of the best popcorn movies).

About to watch Jaws 2 - which I've never seen before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

It has it's moments but is definitely missing Spielberg's touch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. "Oh God, You Devil!"

I've not seen the previous installements in the film series, but George Burns was fun to watch, the film wasn't bad at all (in fact there were two very good laughs) and it was entertaining enough.

David Shire's score is quite good, especially the opening and closing pieces.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Southall wrote
    The other day, I watched Jaws. Been years since I saw it and it's certainly dated in places, but what a fine piece of entertainment it is. One of Spielberg's best (and by extension, one of the best popcorn movies).

Jaws is, and I'm already preparing for the flak I'm about to receive, for the most part an effective thriller, but I don't think it's among his best Spielberg ever did. It certainly is very dated in look and sound (though Williams' score is as fresh as it ever was) but it's one I cannot return to often, and when I do, I'm not at all impressed by it anymore. CE3K, while only 2 years younger is one that I can return to on a yearly basis. Maybe it's because the last time I've seen it was on an old VHS tape, if and when they release it on blu-ray I might give it another try for the upgraded audiovisual side of it and maybe then I will be able to see it how it was meant to be seen. But then again, the shark will look even more fake in hi-def.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    ....but I don't think it's among his best Spielberg ever did.

Get out, and don't ever come back! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JAWS

Brilliant script, brilliant cast, brilliant acting, brilliant photography, brilliant direction, brilliant music, BRILLIANT, NEAR PERFECT FILM.

Yeah, the shark looks fake in the few scenes you see it but so what.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

grabs Gilles by the collar, brings left foot back, releases left foot directly to Gilles rear....*PUNT!*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah, the shark looks fake in the few scenes you see it but so what.

I like the fake sharks. Part of the charm.
  3. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

That's why I prepared myself and built myself a huge concrete wall, so I cannot get out and even you cannot get me out, no matter how hard you try !!!

But I did say I might reconsider my opinion once it arrives on blu. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

grabs Gilles by the collar, brings left foot back, releases left foot directly to Gilles rear....*PUNT!*

EPIC FAIL !!

See post above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm pretty sure you'd be worse off with that in mind. Unless you built a brick wall made from sponge? Because... that would be pretty awesome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would recommend Weetabix, that stuff is indestructable once dried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    I've stopped Netflix due to paper deadlines and a hectic schedule. But I did manage to see a film last night...

Irreversible.

Disturbing indeed. I pretty much liked the usage of source music in the film though, especially the Beethoven piece over the final scenes, if i remember correctly.

Yes, that part was striking. There's a lot of style in the camera work that aids it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

You were right. Parts of it are unfortunately laugh-out-loud funny, but other parts are pretty good. Wonderful music! I think the biggest thing it misses compared with the first one (apart from Spielberg) is Quint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Love weetabix with milk mmmmmm mmmmmmm lick
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love weetabix with milk mmmmmm mmmmmmm lick

You aren't alone, I love it too but once it's dried you could build eternal monuments to your greatness with it.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I still think it is a very good movie, because it at least has most of the cast returning
    as for the music, it is goddamn brilliant
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I still think it is a very good movie, because it at least has most of the cast returning

The score is fantastic and I reach for it more often than I do the original. As for the film... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Unfortunately the members of the cast who don't return are the most interesting ones.
  6. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Unfortunately the members of the cast who don't return are the most interesting ones.

brody dude, brody

Invincible (The disney / Wahlberg movie) wink

Man, I love this movie. Of course I love in general sports dramas, but this one in particular is very good. It's a very easy to love drama, and the rise of a normal man makes sure everyone around him grows with him. The acting is very decent and the sport realism goddamn amazing. This is the ticket of this movie, because here you see actual long shots that begin and end with a singular throw (meaning they don't fake a long pass in football). The stadium scenes are goddamn amazing and give the finale a perfect climax

I want this on Blu-ray, but it's so far only released on region 1 sad

Pretty good score by Isham too smile

8 out of 10 smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

brody dude, brody

He's a pretty standard Spielbergian "family man in distress" though. Far more interesting to me were Quint and Hooper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Invincible (The disney / Whalberg movie) wink

Man, I love this movie. Of course I love in general sports dramas, but this one in particular is very good. It's a very easy to love drama, and the rise of a normal man makes sure everyone around him grows with him. The acting is very decent and the sport realism goddamn amazing. This is the ticket of this movie, because here you see actual long shots that begin and end with a singular throw (meaning they don't fake a long pass in football). The stadium scenes are goddamn amazing and give the finale a perfect climax

8 out of 10 smile

Dude, just so you know, I'm not a sports drama movie fan, so I'll give it a miss okay? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

brody dude, brody

He's a pretty standard Spielbergian "family man in distress" though. Far more interesting to me were Quint and Hooper.

Absolutely!

I remember reading somewhere that Lee Marvin was one of the choices for the role of Quint?
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Invincible (The disney / Whalberg movie) wink

8 out of 10 smile

Dude, just so you know, I'm not a sports drama movie fan, so I'll give it a miss okay? smile

I figured that much, that's why we saw it without you
    still, your loss bro smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Southall wrote
    You were right. Parts of it are unfortunately laugh-out-loud funny, but other parts are pretty good. Wonderful music! I think the biggest thing it misses compared with the first one (apart from Spielberg) is Quint.

The late Roy Scheider carries the film . I always like to watch him - he's one of my favourite actors .
    John Williams' music rocks and has a few new themes that I absolutely love .
    Too bad they didn't bring back Richard Dreyfuss as Matt Hooper ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    The Box
    From the director of Donnie Darko. Starring Cameron Diaz and Frank Langella. The premise was interesting (a married couple get a box with a button; if they push the button then they collect $1 million but also cause somebody to die) and the movie kept me entertained. Nothing else matters.
    The score was pretty effective (Win Butler, Régine Chassagne, Owen Pallett) and there's going to be a cd release later this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure that's an old Twilight Zone episode, originally.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Johnny Mnemonic

When you have a cast consisting of Keanu Reeves, Dolph Lundgren, Henry Rollins and Ice-T you know not to expect high art or acting skills of any kind whatsoever, but it surprised me just how dated and crappy this movie was. I remember liking it as a kid, so I expected to be entertained, but it was a borefest from start to finish.

Rated it 3/10 on imdb.

Peter cylon