• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE CHANGELING the other night, darn good film and based on a true story, in fact I checked it up on Wiki and Clint Eastwood sticks very closely to the facts with only a few details being changed for the sake of the story.

Very good film. Anyone else seen it?

Yes, I liked it. Great storytelling and an awesome main theme that overstays its welcome like a two week old fungus on a piece of wet toast.
    Nice noir-ish effort by Clint! Heck, I even thought that Miss Awesome Lips did a good job at acting.

Yes, same here (though I think Jolie is usually excellent when she's in serious roles). Though I can't really believe that the story is true, at least not in its entirity. There are lots of disputes about it, lots of articles at the time the film came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Correction: Jolie is always gorgeous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not when she's a stick figure. She's much more attractive with curves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Has she ever been a stick figure? I hadn't noticed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Um...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Um...

Good lord. Is that recent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of course she's more attractive with curves...damn, i didn't know she passed through that stage. It's awful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE CHANGELING the other night, darn good film and based on a true story, in fact I checked it up on Wiki and Clint Eastwood sticks very closely to the facts with only a few details being changed for the sake of the story.

Yeap, i did. Mature and strong film making although i was immensely annoyed by the score.

I thought the score was good but I must admit I was engrosed in the film to really take too much notice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Um...

She's been like that for some time now which I have pointed out before. She needs to eat some pies!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course she's more attractive with curves...damn, i didn't know she passed through that stage. It's awful.

It seems like some kind of contest amongst women in the spotlight to be thinner than their rivals, hell, even Kate Winslet who claimed to enjoy being womenly and curvy succumed to the lollipop head look, Gemma Artherton too. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited
    Doesn't it have something to do with her next role? I mean, they constantly need to add or loose weight for film parts. Is she next playing a homeless person? Or a model?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Um...

She's been like that for some time now which I have pointed out before. She needs to eat some pies!

I'll give her one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What kind? a meaty one!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited
    [small]A hairy one.

Getting my coat.[/small]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeap, i did. Mature and strong film making although i was immensely annoyed by the score.

Me too! One of the worst scores I've ever heard!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote

I've seen it, I was blown away by it. Very strong dramatic directing and a heartfelt performance by Jolie, I rated it 9 on IMDB smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I just saw the latest Harry Potter film. I've never been very fond of these films. Though they are generally well made and the casting is excellent, they've come so short of the books that I've never seen most of them more than once. This last film was the same. Very well made and enjoyable, but I don't reason any reason to watch it again. When I first heard the music (away from the film) I thought it was fine--far better than what many were making it out to be. Seeing it in the film has improved my opinion of it. I thought it was very effective. Hearing it in the film I said to my wife, "I wouldn't mind it if he scored the last two films." I know, I know, Williams could do so much more, blah, blah, blah. I think Hooper would've done well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    The Dark Knight

I catched it on TV last night and I still think that it is very-very overrated. The storyline is overcomplicated, the message is too in-your-face. I don't think it's bad, but in my opinion Batman Begins is much better. I think The Dark Knight was not even in my personal Top 10 the year it was released.
    I like the music, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

shocked shocked

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You do like a bit of controversy, don't you, Kalman? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    The Dark Knight

I catched it on TV last night and I still think that it is very-very overrated. The storyline is overcomplicated, the message is too in-your-face. I don't think it's bad, but in my opinion Batman Begins is much better. I think The Dark Knight was not even in my personal Top 10 the year it was released.
    I like the music, though.

biggrin

I'm the opposite, it's better that Batman Begins, I didn't find the story line overcomplicated though it was convoluted, easily in my top ten films of that year.

And the score is very ho-hum sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's my personal favourite comic book film. It's one of those films that sit proudly with some of my most cherished films, films I'm VERY passionate about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ You can count me in similar veins too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited
    Well I tell you guys one thing about The Dark Knight:

It isn't my favourite either, but then we've already gone over this once. tongue

Though I've liked it a bit more on second viewing, plus the blu-ray quality is second to none (which also helps).

My recent viewings:

Gamer

Well I wasn't expecting a lot, and that's what I got... It isn't horrible though, I was expecting total chaos because of the ridiculously fast editing, lots of weird distortion effects (deliberate) and simple story that is aimed at the Youtube generation. Michael Bay would've been proud with the action scenes in this one. I was able to hold my attention until the very last second, so that's saying something. Actually surprised the directors didn't totally fubar it, I could make sense out of it. It is 'The Running Man' for this generation. Just as throw-away, borderline watchable nonsense. The sound is totally brilliant. The score is totally awful.

5/10

The Final Destination

Enjoyable, just as those that came before it. Once again the real crowdpleasers are the ways the guys and gals see their end in the most gory and horrible ways possible. I thought the opening scene wasn't the best of the series, but the death scenes after it are definitely fun, if you have a bit of a psycho in you. And I was totally dumbstruck during a scene involving a 3D film in a theater, it featured a score I know well... it didn't immediately dawn on me but it was Trevor Jones' Dark City. Actually the only bit of music that was actually good in the whole film, and it wasn't written for it.

7/10
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Well I tell you guys one thing about The Dark Knight:

It isn't my favourite either, but then we've already gone over this once. tongue

Though I've liked it a bit more on second viewing, plus the blu-ray quality is second to none (which also helps).

My recent viewings:

Gamer

Well I wasn't expecting a lot, and that's what I got... It isn't horrible though, I was expecting total chaos because of the ridiculously fast editing, lots of weird distortion effects (deliberate) and simple story that is aimed at the Youtube generation. Michael Bay would've been proud with the action scenes in this one. I was able to hold my attention until the very last second, so that's saying something. Actually surprised the directors didn't totally fubar it, I could make sense out of it. It is 'The Running Man' for this generation. Just as throw-away, borderline watchable nonsense. The sound is totally brilliant. The score is totally awful.

5/10

The Final Destination

Enjoyable, just as those that came before it. Once again the real crowdpleasers are the ways the guys and gals see their end in the most gory and horrible ways possible. I thought the opening scene wasn't the best of the series, but the death scenes after it are definitely fun, if you have a bit of a psycho in you. And I was totally dumbstruck during a scene involving a 3D film in a theater, it featured a score I know well... it didn't immediately dawn on me but it was Trevor Jones' Dark City. Actually the only bit of music that was actually good in the whole film, and it wasn't written for it.

7/10

next time you rent a film with an amazing sound, you tell me okay?
    even if it's a crappy film

Ps, please rent Crank 2, it's of the same makers, and it's the funniest movie ever made biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited
    Someone should read the 'Quoting for Dummies' post! tongue

Gamer isn't crappy in my eyes, 5/10 is the middle ground IMO, as is three stars.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Ps, please rent Crank 2, it's of the same makers, and it's the funniest movie ever made biggrin

Or, save your money for something actually worthy wink
  4. I'm sure Thomas was being sarcastic.

But does it beat that other funniest movie ever made: The Avengers? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    Twilight: New Moon
    cheesy Saw this on a site like youtube. What an atrocious piece of cr@p! There's nothing remotely interesting by way of story or action. Stuff happens and everybody sulks routinely. I saw it only for the score and its context. There were too many pop songs during the 1st half of the film. It took about 55 min for a decently noticeable theme to appear. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    Stuff happens and everybody sulks routinely.

applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Gamer isn't crappy in my eyes, 5/10 is the middle ground IMO, as is three stars.

If you count from 0 to 10, then 5 out of 10 is indeed middle ground:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

But then you'd have to also use that logic with 5 star rating too. So 2.5 out of 5 becomes middle ground:

0 1 2 2.5 3 4 5

But if you don't count the 0, then middle ground becomes 5.5 out 10:

1 2 3 4 5 5.5 6 7 8 9 10

And, of course:

1 2 3 4 5

So make your mind up, you can't use both. (Well, I suppose you can. But you'd have to specify whether you count the 0 each time. wink)

This seemed like a more appropriate use of my time than work on my coursework.