• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Everybody's Fine
    I've seen the Italian original by Tornatore (Stanno Tutti Bene) a long while back. I was delighted to see that this new version stands up very well to the original. It's an incredibly poignant and touching story. Robert De Niro is wonderful. It would have been great had it ended about 10-15 minutes early. Unfortunately, Hollywood had to mess with the ending to make it somewhat happy. It's a good movie nevertheless. It doesn't make sense to compare it with Avatar, but I'll still say that this was way more satisfying than the latter.

Marianelli's score is subtle and plays on the surface. I could not remember the theme after it all ended. Perhaps they were content to keep it simple and underkey to not overwhelm the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a very gentle and soothing score with a couple of nice themes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    LSH wrote
    Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Stupid. So fucking stupid.

Indeed. Fucking stupid, and immensely entertaining.

Peter smile

Yup. Except for the inexplicable Blueberry-ish LSD trip-induced Meeting-The-Gods scene at the end, I enjoyed this one a lot more than the murky mess of part one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's absolutely no reason other than Megan fox's hot bottoms, for anyone to even consider watching Transformers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    RV: G.I. Joe: Rise Of The Cobra

Jesus, what a convoluted mess of mostly unfunny violence.
    Maybe I'm getting too old for this stuff, but I found myself somewhat disturbed by the casual mass destruction scenes in Paris. I know all those places quite well, and these are places for tourists. Kids. Moms and dads being out with the pram. Housewives doing some shopping.

The visions of utter, violent, personal-level destruction in those scenes and at those places to me would be far more in line with a hard-hitting unsettling film about terrorism than a fucking TOYS movie. It just rubbed me completely the wrong way.

Normally I have little problem with scenes like this, but then, generally in kid-oriented toys movies, the violence usually takes place in more deserted areas. Or on a different scale.

Anyway.
    Didn't enjoy it much.

1.5 out of 5

Silvestri's mediocre action score works in the film, I guess.

2 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shall i repeat myself? wink shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's absolutely no reason other than Megan fox's hot bottoms, for anyone to even consider watching Transformers.

Nonsense.
    Giant robots kicking the shit out of each other reminds me greatly of the heydays of Godzilla. Or WWF Wrestling.
    Bring on the popcorn!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Recently, I watched Open Window just because it was scored by Cliff Eidelman and wanted to hear the music in context. I saw the movie on zip (like Netflix) an online dvd rent shop that have a great selection of international and independent films too. I didn't know anything about the subject really. It is about rape -not an easy film. In the extras, the director says that she made this film because we are desensitized by too much violent films these days. This subject is "real" violence. It is a very well done movie that goes deep into the emotions of the characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nonsense.
    Giant robots kicking the shit out of each other reminds me greatly of the heydays of Godzilla. Or WWF Wrestling.
    Bring on the popcorn!

Only when done good. And even those you speak of at their peaks of quality, can't surpass Megan Fox's ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Shall i repeat myself? wink shame

This was for you watching G.I.JOE wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *Eagerly awaits Up on blu ray which will hopefully arrive tomorrow or Monday*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin wrote
    the director says that she made this film because we are desensitized by too much violent films these days.

I've heard that particular excuse for blatant exploitation since the early thirties... slant My return question always is: how would repeatedly showing such naked violence not desensitize, then?

In my experience films that deal with topics like that tend to overplay their hand by showing the raw violence of it. That's not the point at all, I think. The real story is how people deal with it. The damage and the pain. And, if they're very lucky, their healing.

To properly show that violence...well, the world can be an ugly place. We all know that.
    I see no earthly reason to add *explicitly* to that ugliness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    And even those you speak of at their peaks of quality, can't surpass Megan Fox's ass.

Godzilla will kick Megan's ass any old day of the week! :atomic breath:

Christodoulides wrote
    This was for you watching G.I.JOE wink

There's a notable lack of Fox in G.I. joe. As is there on the giant robot front.
    It's all jolly disappointing. slant
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin wrote
    the director says that she made this film because we are desensitized by too much violent films these days.

I've heard that particular excuse for blatant exploitation since the early thirties... slant My return question always is: how would repeatedly showing such naked violence not desensitize, then?

In my experience films that deal with topics like that tend to overplay their hand by showing the raw violence of it. That's not the point at all, I think. The real story is how people deal with it. The damage and the pain. And, if they're very lucky, their healing.

To properly show that violence...well, the world can be an ugly place. We all know that.
    I see no earthly reason to add *explicitly* to that ugliness.

That's exactly how she did her movie. We don't see the rape itself but more the healing process and how it affects her relationship with her husband. The movie is autobiographical. The director lived it 20 years ago. Cathartic indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's exactly how she did her movie. We don't see the rape itself but more the healing process and how it affects her relationship with her husband.

Oh, good.
    Well. Odd choice of words, but you know what I mean. Sounds like it was made with integrity and compassion.
  1. RV: The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (original)

Such an engrossing movie. Why would I want to watch the recent remake?

I'd not seen this for many years but as soon as I came across David Shire's brilliant titles music I was hooked. Great tension and a lot wittier than I remember.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    The remake is instantly forgettable, both movie and score; especially the virtually inexistent latter.
  2. I just watched my first BluRay-episode of Battlestar Galactica.

shocked Those details on the ships are amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    RV: The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (original)

You don´t want. Awful movie (and score).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I just watched my first BluRay-episode of Battlestar Galactica.

But the sound is just as dull and powerless as the regular DVD release? I'm talking about the action scenes, not the music itself.

I've bought all the sets on DVD and I do not intend to get them in hi-def, even though I like the show.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'd not seen this for many years but as soon as I came across David Shire's brilliant titles music I was hooked. Great tension and a lot wittier than I remember.

I wasn't even aware of this movie until you featured a clip from it for one of your games (the time theme). Saw it later and it was highly enjoyable! Top score and awesome movie. The remake looks atrocious and I won't be watching it or checking the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I watched it again last year and it's utterly brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep. Very high on my favourite films list. Excellent roles throughout, and the very last shot with Matthau is a doozy!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isn't it just! face-palm-mt <--wipes nose after sneezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I just watched my first BluRay-episode of Battlestar Galactica.

But the sound is just as dull and powerless as the regular DVD release? I'm talking about the action scenes, not the music itself.

I've bought all the sets on DVD and I do not intend to get them in hi-def, even though I like the show.

I´m sorry to report that I´m still suffering through a simple ProLogic Surround Sound. I can´t tell you anything even slightly professional about the sound, only that I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Yep. Very high on my favourite films list. Excellent roles throughout, and the very last shot with Matthau is a doozy!

Timmer wrote

That´s exactly what I did when I first watched the movie in my childhood.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. District 9

Superb filmmaking, what begins as a news report / documentary style movie evolves into a no holds-barred action flick, but with actual depth in the story and characters. Once the film shifts into gear, there's no turning back. Neill Blomkamp and his team did a great job to make a different kind of science fiction film, and one that will be remembered 50 years from now.

The special effects are seamless and they never feel overdone or forced, simply for the sake of showing them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I had to think of 'The Fly' a couple of times while watching. The similarities are sometimes striking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, i knew you'd like it! One of the most captivating and original films i've seen in a while. Worthy nominated for numerous awards.
  6. Timmer wrote

Gesundheit!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website